Insurance write-off doing OK

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
People slagged this bike off like crazy when it was for sale.... I have done a little bit of tidying up to it but not replaced anything other than oil and filters. I have racked up about 8000 miles now since I bought it and today I did some pretty gnarly, bouldery lanes on it, she just pulled me through, on road tyres too (Mitas Terra Force, they were on it when I bought it).

It is proving to be a brilliant bike, not pretty, not standard but for what I needed, an old knacker to learn about off road track riding, it fits the bill and has some great modifications. Originally this project bike was built by Mickeyboy and it has done a couple of long trips, not with me astride but the original owner.

The Long Ranger lives.

Attachments

• DSCN9988.web.jpg
    DSCN9988.web.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 353
  • DSCN9992.web.jpg
    DSCN9992.web.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 355
  • DSCN9993.web.jpg
    DSCN9993.web.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 351
Back Lane . . . did you do the bottom bit?

We did all three, from bottom to top of the Darley Dale to the moors, across Flash lane, then down the hill of the one that comes out at Chatsworth Bridge, through the park and up hill the Ednesor stretch.

I like that - what's the history of the bike? Do you have a link to a thread please?

Nothing wrong with a rebuild - means you get to know your vehicle inside out;):thumb

You had me @ 'built by Mikeyboy' :D

A cracking bike for long distance trail riding :thumb

You had me @ 'built by Mikeyboy' :D

A cracking bike for long distance trail riding :thumb

For me, more touring with the ability to go up a bit of a track with my fishing gear! I did 538 miles in one day the other week, on normal roads, so the new seat is plenty comfy enough and the bike is perfectly capable of doing anything a more expensive, shiney, fashionable bike can do, with the advantage that it doesn't look like it is worth nicking! They will take the fancy bikes first. :beerjug:

People slagged this bike off like crazy when it was for sale.... I have done a little bit of tidying up to it but not replaced anything other than oil and filters. I have racked up about 8000 miles now since I bought it and today I did some pretty gnarly, bouldery lanes on it, she just pulled me through, on road tyres too (Mitas Terra Force, they were on it when I bought it).

It is proving to be a brilliant bike, not pretty, not standard but for what I needed, an old knacker to learn about off road track riding, it fits the bill and has some great modifications. Originally this project bike was built by Mickeyboy and it has done a couple of long trips, not with me astride but the original owner.

The Long Ranger lives.
Good to see you're getting out on the lanes. Discover them now while the ground is hard and you'll be more than ready when they are wet.
Have you been practicing full lock turns etc that I suggested?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

It doesn’t look too bad from a distance :D

For me, more touring with the ability to go up a bit of a track with my fishing gear! I did 538 miles in one day the other week, on normal roads, so the new seat is plenty comfy enough and the bike is perfectly capable of doing anything a more expensive, shiney, fashionable bike can do, with the advantage that it doesn't look like it is worth nicking! They will take the fancy bikes first. :beerjug:

Then it's perfect for what you want :D

I have had a fair few Cat C/D bikes. No issues with them at all. As long as the seller is honest there’s bargains to be had.

One thing I will say is that salvage in general has got significantly more expensive than it was

Good to see you're getting out on the lanes. Discover them now while the ground is hard and you'll be more than ready when they are wet.
Have you been practicing full lock turns etc that I suggested?

I have tried, but it is easier to hop off and push it round by to-and-froing it! Trying to do tight turns means leaning, and I don't do leaning.

I have tried, but it is easier to hop off and push it round by to-and-froing it! Trying to do tight turns means leaning, and I don't do leaning.
Try leaning gently the opposite way, it's more about control than just going round in a figure 8.

Try leaning gently the opposite way, it's more about control than just going round in a figure 8.

Que? What do you mean leaning the other way? I have an attack of the confusions.... I can turn the R80 far easier, this one the front wants to tuck in much more easily. I think the problem is I am trying to think about it, rather than just do it. I have never bothered trying to think about things before... nearly 50 years of riding a bike and not actually knowing what I am doing!

Que? What do you mean leaning the other way? I have an attack of the confusions.... I can turn the R80 far easier, this one the front wants to tuck in much more easily. I think the problem is I am trying to think about it, rather than just do it. I have never bothered trying to think about things before... nearly 50 years of riding a bike and not actually knowing what I am doing!
Have a look at this link, it explains it well: https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci.../slow-speed-control-its-all-about-the-balance

Back
Top Bottom