Tracks on google maps missing on BC

G&T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
There have been a number of occasions where I’ve found a track on google maps but doesn’t show on BC. I’ve actually then ridden the track to check it does exist.

Is this just a Garmin thing?

If you want to check find Strata Florida Abbey in Wales and view on google maps and BC

Attachments

• 6D74161F-F83F-484B-9A58-DDDF6EF88E45.jpg
    6D74161F-F83F-484B-9A58-DDDF6EF88E45.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 62
Garmin do not make the maps. They rely on third parties to supply the maps, who (in turn) rely on others to supply the data. When and if Garmin contract to have their mapping supplied by Google, these anomalies will cease.

You can report mapping errors, directly to Garmin.

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=pJLZBzPen9A7OXw5vlRyu5

You can always use Open Street Map, whose maps - though different in style - do sometimes carry additional data and are routable.

You can also work out where the track is, along with the direction it takes and plot yourself an ‘off road’ route along it, all within BaseCamp. This you can blend into your normal Garmin created route and all will be well.

Google maps shows a lot of paths and other tracks that are not roads. It shows lots near my house that are now bridleways or restricted byways.

I don’t know if it routes vehicles down them but the one you used as an example would give a Harley rider (and in fact most GSer’s) a shock as it’s the Strata Florida ORPA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garmin do not make the maps. They rely on third parties to supply the maps, who (in turn) rely on others to supply the data. When and if Garmin contract to have their mapping supplied by Google, these anomalies will cease.

You can report mapping errors, directly to Garmin.

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=pJLZBzPen9A7OXw5vlRyu5

You can always use Open Street Map, whose maps - though different in style - do sometimes carry additional data and are routable.

You can also work out where the track is, along with the direction it takes and plot yourself an ‘off road’ route along it, all within BaseCamp. This you can blend into your normal Garmin created route and all will be well.

Thanks Wapping. I’ll check out the create ‘off road’ route option.

I don’t know if it routes vehicles down them but the one you used as an example would give a Harley rider (and in fact most GSer’s) a shock as it’s the Strata Florida ORPA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did it two up....lost as usual...but it was dry :D Only drama, it gave me a puncture.

Open Street Map (OSM) shows the same minor road as BaseCamp but also shows all the additional ‘broken line’ goat tracks, too.

All will be routable in OSM.

2257daa7f1f99ad4e4b6ad903b996fd2.jpg
48803098801f9ca3787330bcec218209.jpg

Excellent Wapping - thanks.

I don’t have the Uk OSM downloaded but will get stuck in.

P.S. your library looks far too organised :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom