Looking for an ebike for the wife

ChasF

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have my Giant mountain bike which is now getting on a bit, but suits me. I’ve got dodgy knees and find I’m using it less so considering fitting a Bofango mid drive motor and sticking it on the back of our camper. The dog can run/trot behind - she chased me the other day when I was in my work van and she still passed me when I was doing 45kmph! but the wife can’t keep up. She is not the most confident on a bicycle but can cope at a moderate pace. Our outings would be short, at most a couple of miles but may be a bit wobbly on the way back - don’t get all righteous please, we are actually quite responsible and careful with ourselves.

I’ve no idea what sort of bike to go for - any advice much appreciated, looking at a budget of less than €1000.

does she cook and clean cos it seems a decent deal...!

I’m looking for similar and the G-Tech seems to fit the bill. At 16kg including battery it’s not too heavy to lift and although the range is not great at c30 miles it would be enough for SWMBO, who is never going to be much of a cyclist.

PS I think the comment refers to your wish to swap your wife for an e-bike :rob

I have my Giant mountain bike which is now getting on a bit, but suits me. I’ve got dodgy knees and find I’m using it less so considering fitting a Bofango mid drive motor and sticking it on the back of our camper. The dog can run/trot behind - she chased me the other day when I was in my work van and she still passed me when I was doing 45kmph! but the wife can’t keep up. She is not the most confident on a bicycle but can cope at a moderate pace. Our outings would be short, at most a couple of miles but may be a bit wobbly on the way back - don’t get all righteous please, we are actually quite responsible and careful with ourselves.

I’ve no idea what sort of bike to go for - any advice much appreciated, looking at a budget of less than €1000.

I am also looking at this and finding it tough chucking £1.5k to £2k on a good ebike but really feel that buying a cheapo one won't make my wife 'want' to go out on a ride so a decent one it is.

There are these at Decathlon
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/original-920-electric-id_8586865.html

or a little more
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/riverside-500-electric-hybrid-bike-id_8405314.html

As per the ancient joke
Bloke 1 - I got a set of golf clubs for the wife last week
Bloke 2 - wow, that was a good swap.

Ah, now I see - I’m not very bright at times. Apologies to Lo-IQ who doesn’t deserve to be called a twat for trying to make a joke.

I’m looking for similar and the G-Tech seems to fit the bill. At 16kg including battery it’s not too heavy to lift and although the range is not great at c30 miles it would be enough for SWMBO, who is never going to be much of a cyclist.

PS I think the comment refers to your wish to swap your wife for an e-bike :rob

G-Tech is on the list, seems OK for the price.

I am also looking at this and finding it tough chucking £1.5k to £2k on a good ebike but really feel that buying a cheapo one won't make my wife 'want' to go out on a ride so a decent one it is.

There are these at Decathlon
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/original-920-electric-id_8586865.html

or a little more
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/riverside-500-electric-hybrid-bike-id_8405314.html

Thanks for the links - I’m keen to keep the budget down because like so many things, there is a strong risk that after an initial burst of enthusiasm it will sit in the corner of the garage gathering dust.

Ah, now I see - I’m not very bright at times. Apologies to Lo-IQ who doesn’t deserve to be called a twat for trying to make a joke.

G-Tech is on the list, seems OK for the price.

Thanks for the links - I’m keen to keep the budget down because like so many things, there is a strong risk that after an initial burst of enthusiasm it will sit in the corner of the garage gathering dust.

No it won’t! You’ll be out on it more than you can imagine! :thumb2
They take a lot of the hard work out of riding a bike and make it enjoyable again! :thumb2

Very new to the world of assisted cycling!
Looking for a bike that my wife can use to accompany both her KTM Emtb mounted friend and myself.

Looked at the less expensive options but think a mid motor would be better(from what I have read)
Interested in this one from decathlon
Also looked at LIV but the Decathlon has consistently better specs in most departments (ie Rockshox forks vs Suntour as on many others etc)

I have a couple of Decathlon normal mtbs and think they represent decent value for money.

However they seem to be out of stock across Europe which is not too much of a bind as I'm happy to wait a little while if it's worth it.

Any other suggestions?, the 900 from Decathlon has increased by a ton to £1800, as have a few other ones in their range but still seem a decent buy.

Would be going for small frame to suit her stature - if anyone has a good quality second hand one I would also consider this route.

Also looking at possibly buying though the Green Initiative through my company

Back
Top Bottom