Which R80 G/S Brakes Pads

batman1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Who makes the best most effective front (and rear) brakes pads that will slow down my R80 G/S?

I’m only looking for the best possible stopping power.

Oh and while I’m on, where to find a new quality gasket for the joint between the rear end of the driveshaft housing where it joins the alloy final drive case, it’s square with x4 screw holes?

Cheers guys..

Batman, not all G/Ses have a gasket between the swinging arm and the final drive.

Mine didn't have one on and when I put one on it, the securing bolts started to come loose. Took the gasket off and haven't had any issues since. However, my other mono bike does have a gasket and is fine. :nenau

As for brake pads, our sadly, recently departed friend Arkwright swore by Lucas TRW sintered pads, however, Mr Beemerboff does not.

I have these pads on two of my bikes. They work very effectively, however, they do squeal a little bit when used hard.

The most effective thing you can do, if you haven't already, is fit the larger 320mm brake disk kit, available from Motoren Israel and/or Siebenrock. Do a search on here and you'll see plenty of posts. :thumby:

where to find a new quality gasket for the joint between the rear end of the driveshaft housing where it joins the alloy final drive case, it’s square with x4 screw holes?

33 17 2 311 098 is the part number, but these are not listed for the G/S in the fiche, interestingly. You learn something new every day! Motorworks or Motobins will sell you one; I have a few spare if you don't want to spend £1.70 at Motorworks (their P/N TRA11098).

Hi Tufty,
Thank you for a really informative and helpful reply, which reassures what I thought I’d do ie leave the gasket out and just use a thin film of Threebond.
The joint has been very slowly weeping for a while and took a bit of finding. I’d originally blamed each of the drain plugs and the level plug, replacing each of the ally washers with freshly annealed copper items.
Last night I split the housings double checked the joint faces and refitted the gasket adding a thin layer of threebond to each face, but as I finally nipped the nuts the gasket was trying to squeeze out from between the joint, hence my question this morning.

Re the front brake, I have just fitted a new 320mm disc conversion but it didn’t seem a lot better, however on further investigation today, I’ve found that only one of the pistons is functioning so fixing this should improve things somewhat. I didn’t replace the pads with the disc kit as they looked almost new and I thought that they were a recent fit as I bought the bike fully restored, however I’m going to order some fresh pads so I want to know the best possible replacement which will give me the best stopping power.

Thanks again.

PS. Re pads, a friend has suggested some EBC FA 18 HH, but I’m struggling to find those exact items ?

33 17 2 311 098 is the part number, but these are not listed for the G/S in the fiche, interestingly. You learn something new every day! Motorworks or Motobins will sell you one; I have a few spare if you don't want to spend £1.70 at Motorworks (their P/N TRA11098).

H’mm this sort of concurs with Tufty’s comments, I can’t find a reference Or photo in my Clymer, so decision made it will go together with a smear of threebond.

Thanks for the offer of the gasket though, much appreciated :thumb2

This is the beast, at its home just before I purchased it!

Attachments

• 70785D35-3130-4FE3-BAF2-21E4652A4704.jpg
    70785D35-3130-4FE3-BAF2-21E4652A4704.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 186

Attachments

• C7E17F57-5F82-4D65-9F0A-D36D63E3885E.jpeg
    C7E17F57-5F82-4D65-9F0A-D36D63E3885E.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 183
That's a great looking bike Batman. They do look good in blue.

Thanks Tufty, although all the credit has to go to Mikeyboy who built the bike, I’m the second owner since the restoration.

Hi Tetley,
Sorry I can’t do this weekend but I look forward to meeting some of you guys another time.

Back
Top Bottom