Sore bum

Toth

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

My first longish trip on the GS (2000 miles) love the bike and had a great time on some wonderful Scottish roads. Surprisingly having done similar trips on sports bikes I had a lot of discomfort from the seat on the GS, This could be down to getting older or the more upright sitting position.

Any suggestions to improve the seat comfort for the longer runs, Sergeant seat? or gel pad fitted into original seat etc. Must admit that I'm not keen on the strap on type as I don't like the look and past history has found they move.

Advice and experience would be great

Many thanks

Ian

Firstly try the cool covers! Ones from China fine just a few pound, if they don’t work then maybe look into Sargent or like wise alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyclist type padded boxer shorts can help, though they do raise you up slightly.

I've ordered some Moto Skiveez, so will see how they feel, but I'm getting back into the gym/ swimming now, so the excess lard will be gone soon. :D

Must admit that I'm not keen on the strap on type as I don't like the look and past history has found they move.

I hear what you say regarding Airhawk type inflatables but I've found that the £30 ones on Amazon are much neater (no outer cover) and sit in place well. I actually prefer them to Airhawk. I have one on my scooter and it's really comfortable. I've only done 2 hours on it at one go but I genuinely forgot it was there. I have mine with the ant-slip side facing up but I see others who do the opposite.

IMG-20200802-132511653.jpg

Sheepy. All day long comfy.

Attachments

• AA556900-8234-45F9-90D6-B66BA76426A6.jpeg
    AA556900-8234-45F9-90D6-B66BA76426A6.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 353
Cool covers and Moto Skivees worked for me on the gs particularly when the temperatures were hot .

I was wondering about trying some bamboo underwear that seems to be the latest craze, if they wick away sweat then maybe long distance comfort might be improved.

I had exactly the same issue with my GS.

I tried the standard seat on different heights as well as a Touratech and a Seargent seat, I even tried the sheepskin and both seats in combination with the sheepskin, but a couple of hours was still not comfortable and was spoiling the bike.

It's trial and error - what some love others loath, try to go second hand or get a loaner from a mate so you can try them without costing you a bundle.

I changed the bike and bought a K1600 GTL but had similar issues with it's seat - I got a RDL seat from America and never looked back, what a joy and easily capable of doing 300+ miles a day of mixed roads - which is a full day if your not on motorways. I've just ordered another new bike and will be doing the same again - not cheap, but it's the solution for years of comfortable riding.

2000 miles from North Yorkshire to Scotland and back - never mind the seat, you might want to upgrade your Satnav :D

2000 miles from North Yorkshire to Scotland and back - never mind the seat, you might want to upgrade your Satnav :D
I don't know about that, I done over 800 miles from Wigan two weeks ago over 4 days and didn't even go further than Edinburgh, 2000 miles on a two week trip sounds about right ;)

Back
Top Bottom