Ultimate Ear - in-ear speakers / hearing protection

Wapping

Reaction score
My old Ultimate Ear in-ear speakers (fitted originally by judge, who used to frequent these pages) were getting very long in the tooth, so I thought it was time to reward myself (for what I know not) with a new pair.

Their Orpington (south of the river but you can't have everything) workshop is open, with good 'social distancing' and an excellent customer service, converting my Neotec II's bluetooth to accept the custom made in-ear speakers.

I may even start to use them, if only to listen to fellow bikermates moaning about something or other..... and alerting me to chance 'views' along the way, particularly on breezy days :augie

Anyway, recommended if you are in the market.

Surprised the old ones still fit? Ears change shape (internally) over a few years.

Honestly?
They’re shit for anything other than voice.
They aren’t “tuned for music” which is a joke seeing as they sell them advertised as such.
I ended up getting them fined by Trading Standards and all my money back when they tried to hide behind the “custom products” loophole.
Terrible sound quality from what they said were their 4 driver set up. Zero bass frequencies, no highs and sounded like a station announcer with a cold.
Mercury Hearing however were totally different. They don’t do the two part tip like UE but they do have 5 different driver versions for everything from a school to an audiophile

Just looked at Mercury googles reviews..... shocking!

Surprised the old ones still fit? Ears change shape (internally) over a few years.

Hence the 'Very long in the tooth'. The fit was a signifiacnt part of the problem, when i dig them out of the drawer, where they have lingered for I guess five or more years, unloved.

:beerjug:

All I want them for is voice now and via the BlueTooth of the Sena *. I don't need music to feel alive on a motorcycle. I rarely use the GPS audio output for instructions and I've no desire to speak to my mum on the phone to ask for instructions as I ride along. Others may differ, of course.

* Which will probably be shite, acording to many here, as so much is.

The best video I have found for installing the BlueTooth gubbins:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GNIjNEgH6zk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture " allowfullscreen></iframe>

Honestly?
They’re shit for anything other than voice.
They aren’t “tuned for music” which is a joke seeing as they sell them advertised as such.
I ended up getting them fined by Trading Standards and all my money back when they tried to hide behind the “custom products” loophole.
Terrible sound quality from what they said were their 4 driver set up. Zero bass frequencies, no highs and sounded like a station announcer with a cold.
Mercury Hearing however were totally different. They don’t do the two part tip like UE but they do have 5 different driver versions for everything from a school to an audiophile

But, to be fair, many of us only use them for voice. On the intercom and for GPS directions. I've used them for many years and have found the wired version very good for music and noise attenuation when working in a noisy environment.

Not disputing that KMD, BUT they were sold as audio ones with a triple driver, custom length cable, etc when I went to their main premises as they were going to modify the Sena too but decided not to as the 10U apparently “has different wiring” despite them not having done a 10U at that point with there being none in the U.K.....
It was one excuse after another with them.
If I’d wanted ones that were just for voice/Nav then they would’ve done but then they wouldn’t have been almost £400 either!

The best video I have found for installing the BlueTooth gubbins:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GNIjNEgH6zk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture " allowfullscreen></iframe>

So have you got the SRL or in ear headphones? :nenau

SRL but with in-ear spliced in.

If you get it done.... it is feckin loud, as you discover when you push the tit on the control box thingy and a woman screams something into your ear.

SRL but with in-ear spliced in.

If you get it done.... it is feckin loud, as you discover when you push the tit on the control box thingy and a woman screams something into your ear.

Ah, ok. I’ve just got a new Neotec II with SRL, and tested it out at the weekend. It’s a good setup, but could do with being louder. I’ll play with some of the settings in the app, and go from there. This could be another option. I assume you don’t use the speakers that come with the SRL any more?

The speakers stay in but they are disconnected. The sound comes in instead through the in-ear speakers. I had the same converted set-up with Autocom and a full face Arai helmet for years.

The speakers stay in but they are disconnected. The sound comes in instead through the in-ear speakers. I had the same converted set-up with Autocom and a full face Arai helmet for years.

Gotcha :thumb

Used UE wired units for years. I tend to have music playing low enough to still hear what is going on around me and they are more than adequate for that. If you are a hifi buff you may be disappointed.

Now using them with a Cardo Freecom 2+ unit which seems to work well.

Their Orpington (south of the river but you can't have everything) workshop is open, with good 'social distancing' and an excellent customer service, converting my Neotec II's bluetooth to accept the custom made in-ear speakers.

Hi Wapping

I’m interested in doing the same. Can you confirm that Ultimate did this ‘adaption’ for you....only I asked them the same thing (albeit about a year ago) when I first got the SRL comms put into my Neotec, and they said they couldn’t / wouldn’t do it. Maybe time has allowed them a way of finding a way to do it.... hope so !

Yup, Ultimate Ear did the lot in Orpington.

Just present yourself, your ears and the SRL kit, along with its charging lead. They do not need your helmet so leave that at home. I paid for the express 48 hour turn around, which they delivered on perfectly.

I am I happy with the kit, the conversion, its full integration with my 1600’s BlueTooth module, the phone, sat nav unit, the bike’s radio (which I have never turned on), the iWheel thing and everything else? Yup. Is the sound good enough for use on the bike and can it be heard at well less than 11 on the dial? Yup. Will I use it all? Maybe..... we shall see. If I don’t, it won’t blow up.

Hi Guys
There is a thread on Adventure Rider a guy details the whole conversion with photos, all parts a available on UK Amazon I paid a local tech to do mine using the second option which kept speakers connected results are superb, with Ultimate ear.

Hope that helps

Thanks guys. Very useful. I’m gonna look into doing / getting mine done... :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom