How to raise top case to allow for pannier boosters?

Lindenhaus

Reaction score
Dear All

I have a Givi Trekker Outback 58 top case fitted to my 2016 BMW R1200GS Adventure. I also have the standard BMW aluminium side panniers.

I would like to be able to fit a pair of Touratech pannier extension volume boosters to the side panniers https://shop.touratech-uk.co.uk/pannier-extension-volume-booster-for-original-bmw-aluminium-pannier-set-of-2.html.

The trouble is that they make the side panniers 11cm higher than they were, and that means my Givi top box won't fit on the bracket any more because it's wider than the gap between the two panniers. I do have the original square BMW top case, but you can only get one helmet in that so I'd rather use the Givi if I can.

I need some kind of thick spacer to go between the rack on the back of the bike and the supplied Givi mounting plate, which could raise up the top box by approximately 11cm. I'm thinking a solid block of aluminium with precision holes drilled through it and extra-long bolts.

Does anyone know if this is feasible, and where to start looking for one? I've already tried Givi, Google, Touratech and Wunderlich and so far drawn a blank.

Many thanks

Nick

Have you considered the extra weight that something of that size might add? Or have I misunderstood the 11cm solid aluminium bit?

I think the solid alum bit is a non-starter....far too much weight going aft

I have a thing I made up in stainless a long time back to do the job you are trying to do.

BUT I see you are not a subscriber so can't send you Private Messages, unfortunately. Over to you

Why do you want bigger panniers?
Perhaps a rethink on how much crap you are carrying it will save you £265 that you can spend on petrol, B&B, camp site fees ect.:nenau

Why do you want bigger panniers?
Perhaps a rethink on how much crap you are carrying it will save you £265 that you can spend on petrol, B&B, camp site fees ect.:nenau

+1.

... but you could try a Givi S410 Trolley underneath the Trekker.

Back
Top Bottom