A83

Status
Not open for further replies.

turpin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Weather has once again closed the rest and be thankful, seemingly the old military road has also been affected and cannot be used. Long journeys for some!?

Hopefully it didn’t consume anyone.

A national disgrace.....any other European transport authority would have got a grip and sorted out this major national road years ago. Instead of which they have tinkered at the edges for years. And no, I'm not having a go at the SNP....successive Scottish governments are at fault. Do you think the Swiss would have left a major artery at the whim of a few heavy showers?

This appears to be one of those things where they will spend far more money over 20 years of f##### about with no solution than by sorting it out properly, once. Buy cheap, buy twice and all that.

Certainly a lack of investment, but we keep electing governments that promise to reduce taxes/pay back debt/etc, so we shouldn't really be surprised that our infrastructure is so poor.

Certainly a lack of investment, but we keep electing governments that promise to reduce taxes/pay back debt/etc, so we shouldn't really be surprised that our infrastructure is so poor.

Nope. Nothing more than incompetence...Scottish Parliament, estimate £40m, final cost £400+ million, Edinburgh trams, estimate £375m, final cost £776m. Useless officials and oversight, wasting far more than would be necessary to sort a mile or two of A83. Couldn't run a raffle.

Nope. Nothing more than incompetence...Scottish Parliament, estimate £40m, final cost £400+ million, Edinburgh trams, estimate £375m, final cost £776m. Useless officials and oversight, wasting far more than would be necessary to sort a mile or two of A83. Couldn't run a raffle.
I was speaking of the general case rather than this particular one.

Although it's always worth noting that those without the responsibility of maintaining infrastructure and allocating public funds always seem to know better. Post hoc, obviously.

I was speaking of the general case rather than this particular one.

Although it's always worth noting that those without the responsibility of maintaining infrastructure and allocating public funds always seem to know better. Post hoc, obviously.

Pompous shite.

Those in charge...labour and SNP... failed. And wasted millions which are needed elsewhere. Year after year, users of the A83 are forced to drive hundreds of miles round....they would know better. 'Hocs' notwithstanding.

In other news the Tories are doing a great job.

Eh? What are you tittering about? This thread is about the A83 and the failure of Scottish Governments to look after it and its users. Best you fuck off to the politics section with your piffle.

A friend's daughter was working in Lochgoilhead and was coming home tonight for the weekend. I don't know which route she will have to use now, but turn left at the Lochgoilhead pass where it meets the A83 at the top of the Rest-ab-Thankful hill. Some detour though.

Instead of digging a pit to catch the falling rubble, a landslide roof like they do it on the continent will be the only protection I would think. Planting trees might help hold the topsoil together, but that is only a sticking plaster solution, one decent winter storm and a load of deadfall will simply add to the problems.

May be you should fuck off to the politics section.

80 million has been spent on that section and they still can't sort it yet you suggest it's government fault, Tory cnut that's all you are.

now now gentlemen lets keep in sensible!

Road transport in most terms is a devolved matter and as such is the responsibility of Transport Scotland.

https://www.transport.gov.scot/transport-network/roads/

Perhaps they need to fight for their corner and get more funding from the SNP?:hide

May be you should fuck off to the politics section.

80 million has been spent on that section and they still can't sort it yet you suggest it's government fault, Tory cnut that's all you are.

Who's fault is it then, halfwit?

Shut your fucking mouth you tory fat prick.

Aha.... such is the level of debate we will have to expect from our Dundonian chum. Whatever. I could just delete it, but I'll leave it there for everyone's amusement:doris

I suspect that the relatively short length of road involved in the A83 nonsense could easily have been protected by proper avalanche shelters such as are common in much of Europe. Who knows why Transport Scotland haven't taken this route?

I suspect that it is only of UKGSer that a thread about a landslide and road closure can so rapidly degenerate to this. It's worth the £12 for gems like this. :beerjug:

Surely successive contractors are to blame for not solving the issue, it's not like they haven't been given enough money to solve it.

.......and yer still a fat Tory prick

I suspect that it is only of UKGSer that a thread about a landslide and road closure can so rapidly degenerate to this. It's worth the £12 for gems like this. :beerjug:

Indeed :D

Mods making veiled threats to delete posts in order to remind the plebs of their rightful place, others calling out others as Tory cnuts, peeps with far more knowledge than Transport Scotland telling them how it 'should be done' etc etc etc

Great stuff isn't it :clap

Andres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom