Heated seat repair

joegrimes

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone know who makes the heating pads in the 2011 rt, the element has burned out and I've tried to rejoin it but no success, I want to keep using factory wires and switches and cheap pads from ebay wont work. the element is carbon fibre i think and cant get it joined.

Just a word of warning to anyone attempting a repair such as this - I once investigated a fire on a super yacht which had heated cushions on the deck seating. These had carbon fibre heating elements with connections to (low voltage) copper power cables. The connections were made in such a way that a high resistance was present at the junctions between the copper and the carbon. This resulted in temperatures high enough to ignite the foam/fabric when the seats were switched on …..:blast

already learnt that one, had the seat cover off and made a friction joint but left it on for 15mins to check and sure enough melted the heat shrink covering the joint.

Let us know when you get an answer ... I have one the same (and thought it should be a simple repair !!)

PS why won't cheap ebay pads work ? (wrong resistance ?)

The cheap ones usually have 2 heat settings controlled by switch and bmw one simply changes pulsed volts to pad also wrong resistance I think as can us shuts off power when plugged to them

Back
Top Bottom