Raptor Paint - Tank

DrAlf

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'v got an 1150 Rockster that's fitted with an R1150R tank in yellow. I'd like to paint the tank with some kind of matt paint as per the original Rockster. Has anyone had any experience of painting a tank with Raptor paint? I'm thinking matt army green might look good:) Thanks:thumby:

My 1150 has been painted raptor satin black
a8096efebd050c9eb0b9207b1d1cf1c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 1150 has been painted raptor satin black
a8096efebd050c9eb0b9207b1d1cf1c7.jpg

Did you do it yourself? If so what prep is required? How's the finish holding up? I'd assume it's very hard wearing. Thanks a lot:thumb

6f43274648ecf57875a263702d9a798a.jpg

My Land Rover is painted the same, easy to prep it all up, sand down and key the surface, add the hardened and spray, touch dry in a short while, or just leave it for a few days, it’s a tough finish. Check Out buzzweld they sell a version with extra toughness

I’ve got a GSA tank fitted to my standard 1150 GS and I keep thinking about spraying it black bit rather than go the whole way and do it flat black there’s a paint supplier near me who sell 2 pack paint in rattle cans and give you the percentage of satin you want so once I’ve got time to mess about I’ll buy a can of 25% and try it on something else to see what it looks like. I can always revert to the standard tank if/when I sell it then find someone who wants a slightly alternative coloured GS and is willing to buy mine :D

The only minor downside is that I’d need to find a beak and spray it to match but that can’t be too difficult and I’d probably add hard wired waterproof USB and DIN charging points to the beak while it’s apart.

I have a Rockster.
Have you considered a tank cover?

Thanks Nick - the tanks too yellow at present and would show through the gaps and besides I don't like the added hassle of removing a baglux when taking the tank off. Getting the tank off on an R1150R is a faff enough compared to a GS!

Thanks Nick - the tanks too yellow at present and would show through the gaps and besides I don't like the added hassle of removing a baglux when taking the tank off. Getting the tank off on an R1150R is a faff enough compared to a GS!

That’s nowhere near stealthy enough for you :green gri

Only if the tank-cover straps go around anything other than the tank. ;)

I ran my Rockster with the tank cover "only" attached to the tank for years. (After a very kind mechanic at Vines CUT all the straps on the cover when he removed it from my crashed previous bike).

Back
Top Bottom