Tyres for X Country wheels

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have been searching for some tyres with a bit more off road aspect to them... but 19" and 17". It is easy to get 21" choices, but the 19" front is a bit more limiting. What do people recommend from their experience?

Currently I am on Mitas Terra Force and Michelin Anakee 3s (brilliant on the road, thank you Micky, they are still going strong!). The Terra Force have taken me up some dry tracks with loose stones the isze of oranges/grapefruits and it was like trying to ride across billiard balls, bouncing around and skittering from one hedge to the other, despite looking ahead... I stayed on, but it is only a matter of time! This was only my second venture off road, so I am a total novice to not having tarmac under me. I didn't let pressure out, because they needed to perform on the road again afterwards, yes I could take my little Slime pump with me and do the adjustment, but I didn't have it. This little outing has highlighted that I could do with something with a bit more off road performance, without being totally uncomfortable and useless on the road (TKC80s, never again! I don't care how brilliant you think they are, they were SHIT, like riding a pneumatic drill on the road and they slid constantly on wet tarmac).

The only tyres I have found ot fit in my searching - and my searches only seem to bring up sales places, I don't know how you search to not get these sales outlets...
anyway Pirelli MT60 and Heidenau K60 Scouts. Has anyone any thoughts on these and any other possibilities please? My current tyres have loads to go yet, so I have time to research and consider.

............ (TKC80s, never again! I don't care how brilliant you think they are, they were SHIT, like riding a pneumatic drill on the road and they slid constantly on wet tarmac).................

I'm sure that there is a thread somwhere on here relating to a Skye weekend many years ago when somebody had the pegs down in the wet on a BM Boxer clad with TKC 80's. They do grip but they squirm around as the blocks deform and take some getting used to. The same applies to the Heidi Scouts. They do high miles but squirm a lot under hard cornering. The square section blocks end up wearing into a triangular section. The front doesn't give anything like as much road traction under braking and if you are heavy on the brakes the blocks develop a scalloped pattern.

I'm sure that there is a thread somwhere on here relating to a Skye weekend many years ago when somebody had the pegs down in the wet on a BM Boxer clad with TKC 80's. They do grip but they squirm around as the blocks deform and take some getting used to. The same applies to the Heidi Scouts. They do high miles but squirm a lot under hard cornering. The square section blocks end up wearing into a triangular section. The front doesn't give anything like as much road traction under braking and if you are heavy on the brakes the blocks develop a scalloped pattern.

Well I amnowhere near getting pegs touching down, on anything.... if I tried leaning like that I just know the bike would slide away under me, it is already sliding and I am only half way over and feeling the slipping, it is only a little, but it is very unnerving. I am proud of my turkey stripes (same as chicken stripes, only bigger!)

If the K60s are similar in slippery shenanigans, then I will give them a miss. I don't need to be trying to prove how clever I am by rubbing the side tread off, I am more content to keep the bike scratch free and the repair costs down to nil. I shall have a research of the Mefo's and the Trekriders. Thank you chaps.
John are you in Yorkshire? Could I see what kind of roads you are using them on, one day please?

Well I amnowhere near getting pegs touching down, on anything.... if I tried leaning like that I just know the bike would slide away under me, it is already sliding and I am only half way over and feeling the slipping, it is only a little, but it is very unnerving. I am proud of my turkey stripes (same as chicken stripes, only bigger!)

If the K60s are similar in slippery shenanigans, then I will give them a miss. I don't need to be trying to prove how clever I am by rubbing the side tread off, I am more content to keep the bike scratch free and the repair costs down to nil. I shall have a research of the Mefo's and the Trekriders. Thank you chaps.
John are you in Yorkshire? Could I see what kind of roads you are using them on, one day please?

Simon , I’m in Hexham Northumberland so a mix of A and B roads plus some fire tracks in Kielder forest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon , I’m in Hexham Northumberland so a mix of A and B roads plus some fire tracks in Kielder forest

I must come and see Kielder one day. It is a corner of the country that has evaded me so far. What sort of mileage would they give you on tarmac?

I must come and see Kielder one day. It is a corner of the country that has evaded me so far. What sort of mileage would they give you on tarmac?

I’ve done 6000 miles on mine and they still have life left in them ;-)

I’ve done 6000 miles on mine and they still have life left in them ;-)

That'll do! Now I am not putting 50,000+ miles per year on the bike, I am not so concerned about total mileage, it is more the inconvenience of having to do it.

Back
Top Bottom