Got one! Trekking bike content

John B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, finally took the plunge, had an old Giant hybrid but was finding the hills around here taking away from the enjoyment, so after much thought and trying a few (Thanks Peepingtom of this parish for letting me try his e-MTB) I decided I didn't want/need pure MTB so started looking at crossovers and found another niche, "Trekking" e-bikes, good for the road and able to do tracks and trails too.
I opted for a Cannondale Tesoro Neo x2 as the shop had one and I could have a demo. What a cracker, 29" wheels with big tyres, front suspension, sprung seatpost and Bosch motor and battery. had a brilliant run yesterday doing byways. bridleways and roads, it was like green, green laning and walkers/horses etc all happy to share their routes unlike the powered green laning I'd done around here before. A quick question to the mtb'ers with these big tyres, what pressures do you run as the tyres say between 20-55psi. I'm guessing it's like my old off road days, drop pressures for trails and increase for road? anyway I'll stop rambling and carry on e-biking:D and a couple of pics too! Cheers:beerjug:John B

Attachments

• 36319-86726_1_Supersize.jpg
    36319-86726_1_Supersize.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Hi Dr, they are currently tube tyres and yes, they are Schwalbe G-One Allround, apparently the rime are "tubeless ready" but I guess I would need new tyres to use this option, and as they are new I'll run them for a good while before thinking about tubeless, just need to remember to take a kit of patches and glue for the time being:blast Cheers for the info,:beerjug:John B

I've never ridden an e-bike but do a lot of miles on cyclocross bikes.

Tyre pressures - I'd suggest a lot of experimentation. So for instance this morning it was bone dry so I lowered mine to get better traction on loose climbs. But over the many tree roots the lower pressures mean a greater likelihood of pinch punctures.

So inflate them to avoid pinches, but then they're too hard for sand. But oddly, harder is better in mud because the tyre cuts through to whatever's below....

You get the picture, there are many variables and any pressure will be a compromise. So experiment, just be wary of low pressures that either cause pinches, or allow the tyre to slip around the rim under heavy torque (I assume that's possible using a motor).

The Swalbe tyres mentioned are a tubeless type.

If you go tubeless the you have to tape up the centre of the rim to prevent air escaping though the rim/nipple holes. If the rims are marked 'tubeless ready' then this might have already been done.

Lots of stuff on You Tube.

Ah, Thanks for that, I'll go and have a closer look at the rims, I seem to remember the bloke in the shop saying that it could be done, I'm guessing at a price! Cheers:beerjug:John B

Ah, Thanks for that, I'll go and have a closer look at the rims, I seem to remember the bloke in the shop saying that it could be done, I'm guessing at a price! Cheers:beerjug:John B

You can also alter the pressure in the front forks. :thumb2 You can make it harder or softer according to the terrain you’re on. As well as altering tyre pressures.

Got a Cannondale Tesoro Neo X1 just over 2 months ago. Same basic bike as you got but with a different group set and Kiox control for the electric bits. Great bike, now at 300 miles and have refound a love of cycling. With 12 gears and assisted pedalling the hills hold no fears. Have now bought a tow bar mounted cycle carrier so I can take the bike to explore a bit further afield like some of those wee off road tracks you see snacking up the hills which are barred to vehicles and GSs.

Back
Top Bottom