Animating routes

Wapping

Reaction score
I quite like the blogs and websites that have little animations of routes ridden but had no idea how they were created. A Google search of ‘animated motorcycle google maps’ (four words but I guess three would do it) turned up several self-help videos. This was one I liked, not least as I own a Mac and enjoyed the bod’s laid back presentation style.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L062kwLuVbI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I notice a few Moto bloggers are using ‘Relive’, which tracks your exact route and animates that on a map. But no good if you are wanting to show your route before you’ve done it.

Thank you. I was wondering how they did that.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZBCcj_vCwC4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But I see you can record it straight into Animate.

I had a quick trial run with Animate, recording a very short two mile cycle ride. It works well.

Easy to do the same thing with google earth pro :)

Using nothing more than the Animate app on my phone, I did another trial run this morning. I took a gpx file of a journey across the Brittany peninsula held on my iPhone X and asked Animate to create a video, again all within the phone itself. I guess the conversion took a minute, which at over 200 miles is not bad, I guess.

https://www.relive.cc/view/vKv2R4Qjzov

Now that I know that the app will process any gpx file, I know that I will be able to take a track from my Nav VI and convert it into an Animate video any time I like. Knowing this saves me from recording the journey in the Animate app in real time. That being said, recording it does make it easier to add pictures in real time, too. If I subscribed to the ‘Pro’ version I see that I can add video and do some editing as well.

I am not entirely sure if I prefer the Google map animated version of a journey (as in the opening post) or the Animate, Google Earth version, as in the example above. For something quick and easy, I guess the Animate version, perhaps?

As I have a Mac, I can maybe muck around between the two and create a final product I am happy with. What I do want to use it for is to create a good record of a month jaunt I have coming up in France to celebrate a chum’s retirement. It will give me an excuse to muck about learning. What I really want to do is learn how to embed the files into a trip report, which (at the moment) is well above my pay grade.... but I assume it is possible. I have never done any video stuff nor ever really exploited the huge power of my Mac, simply being happy enough that I know how to use BaseCamp, which hardly taxes a Mac’s brain. I now have an excuse to try to find out what it can really do.

The most amazing thing (to me at least) is that all this processing goes on within my iPhone X and within a free app.

Wapping, do I understand correctly that Animate is a screen animation capture? Hence why your link shows relive.

The only other point with relive over a longer distance, the video can seem too zoomed in. I wonder if there is a way to zoom out to see the bigger picture?

Hello.

My mistake, I was doing two things at once. The videos referred in posts #4 and #7 were created in the Relive app, NOT in Animate. Apologies to all for that confusion, only realised when I read G&T’s posts.

As to zooming in? I haven’t got that far in the finding out process.

Easy to do the same thing with google earth pro :)

I’d say even easier in GE Pro - the facility has been available in GE (pre-Pro) for about seven or more years that I can remember.
Unless I’m missing something the Relive software doesn’t bring much to the party, other than a Tweet?

Back
Top Bottom