Garmin Montana 700

Arguably, some bod riding off-road (in London) is not going to need something in Yorkshire at that vey moment or maybe postcodes at all. Similarly, the hardcore off-roader is unlikely to need fully functioning on-road bells and whistles.

It strikes me, that the two devices, the XT and the 700i, serve two different uses and two pretty different markets, with the XT just winning over the 700i in the ‘one device to do it all’ battle.

If bods are not careful they end up with the overblown Garmin devices that we see today, with all the ‘must have’ windy roads, music, telephone, text, weather, tell me my lean angle, tell me my tyre pressure, tell me about my inside leg measurement shite bolted on, nine-tenths of which only serve to confuse most owners. Bods are even complaining that the ‘must have’ wireless updates are too slow.

True, Wapping, but someone travelling the TET in Portugal might conceivably need to find a hotel 300km away, but you can just do that on your phone. If you can then get the location of that hotel easily into your Garmin, then job done. You can do that really easily on the XT, and you can also do it on the 700 but I haven’t quite figured it out yet.

For one device, I think it’s the XT. It’s only lack is the ability to use the UK OS maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed, they can find the hotel 300 km away on their phone, or find out where it is before they leave home in New York, Tokyo or Holmfirth.

Let us know when you’ve cracked entering the hotel’s location on the 700i, please.

Depending on how popular the 700i becomes, we could have a separate section for it, just as we have for the XT and the various (reasonably recent) BMW Navigator series. Then the question is, do we embrace other handheld GPS items, too? Or, are these best left to Ramblersanonymous.UK? We have tried to separate out the TomTom range, along with the older Garmin devices and made a completely separate section for the “I can’t hear me toons and me mates” merchants, whose bleats have as much to do with GPS, as I do with French skipping.

I think the 700i will be popular amongst trail riders and the TET types that can get beyond “how do I do the TET on my phone mate”.

I probably didn’t do it justice earlier.
Good things are:
Nuvi- dashboard for road navigation

Good track and waypoint management - essential for trail riding

Profiles - I have profiles set for example, for trail riding UK, TET type European riding, road biking etc. Each profile is customisable with by selecting maps, units metric or imperial, screen layouts, shortcuts the screen, routing type, avoidances, dashboard of what’s displayed, etc and are switchable with 2 presses.
Customisable screen layouts
Very rugged
Good screen

It strikes me, that the two devices, the XT and the 700i, serve two different uses and two pretty different markets, with the XT just winning over the 700i in the ‘one device to do it all’ battle.

If only the XT would support ordinance survey mapping it would be the best

I think the 700i will be popular amongst trail riders and the TET types that can get beyond “how do I do the TET on my phone mate”.

I probably didn’t do it justice earlier.
Good things are:
Nuvi- dashboard for road navigation

Good track and waypoint management - essential for trail riding

Profiles - I have profiles set for example, for trail riding UK, TET type European riding, road biking etc. Each profile is customisable with by selecting maps, units metric or imperial, screen layouts, shortcuts the screen, routing type, avoidances, dashboard of what’s displayed, etc and are switchable with 2 presses.
Customisable screen layouts
Very rugged
Good screen

Thanks
Can you post a pic of the 700i screen in road riding mode profile please, to see the layout

Are the 700i CN maps eligible for lifetime upgrades?

I will. Yes, the maps - both Topo active and CN - are lifetime maps

If only the XT would support ordinance survey mapping it would be the best

Probably, but then it’s track management isn’t as good as the Montana and I think it also has a much smaller waypoint limit. But it would make it better, though I don’t think it will ever happen as I think it’s only a UK problem. It works fine with the US detailed Topo maps.

Probably, but then it’s track management isn’t as good as the Montana and I think it also has a much smaller waypoint limit. But it would make it better, though I don’t think it will ever happen as I think it’s only a UK problem. It works fine with the US detailed Topo maps.

I suppose the Euro Topo mapping on the XT, like the US element- is pretty good in Europe & it’s just the uk with its OS cartography

Yes, I would say so. I think it’s that our rights of way are so complicated- I think the euro Topo shows all the tracks in the UK, just no idea whether they are legal to ride or not. Though, I think the Talky Toaster maps run on the Zumo, they do distinguish at least between boats and RB’s, but don’t really show ucr’s, ORPA’s and the like.

Wherein I think lies the complication for the software writers, who rely on the map makers, who rely on (I guess) the local authorities, to supply the correct data. If there enough demand for accurate data? I doubt it.

Wherein I think lies the complication for the software writers, who rely on the map makers, who rely on (I guess) the local authorities, to supply the correct data. If there enough demand for accurate data? I doubt it.

The mapping data is out there, in public domain

On OS maps

All catalogued by usage classification

All provided foc by the local CC Highways dept, on the www or in their offices

Trouble is....
Bods seem unable or unwilling to search it out for themselves
They want it on a plate, spoon fed

The mapping data is out there, in public domain

On OS maps

All catalogued by usage classification

All provided foc by the local CC Highways dept, on the www or in their offices

Trouble is....
Bods seem unable or unwilling to search it out for themselves
They want it on a plate, spoon fed

But if the data is not supplied in an electronic form, it has to be created manually. There simply isn’t sufficient demand for a company to do it. Think of it like bods moaning that it’s Garmin’s fault that a petrol station is shown as being there, when it’s not. Think about map updates, who tells the bods in New Zealand (I think that is where the maps are made) that a road is now one way or that a motorway has sprung into life or where precisely it goes. Some public roads in the UK don’t even have the speed limit known. Of course the TRF’s members (who have a vested interest in this stuff) could always sponsor the work required.

Or are you saying that bods who ride off-road. Sn’t be arsed to look at an Ordnance Survey map and would rather have it spoon fed to them via a GPS device?

But if the data is not supplied in an electronic form, it has to be created manually. There simply isn’t sufficient demand for a company to do it. Think of it like bods moaning that it’s Garmin’s fault that a petrol station is shown as being there, when it’s not. Think about map updates, who tells the bods in New Zealand (I think that is where the maps are made) that a road is now one way or that a motorway has sprung into life or where precisely it goes. Some public roads in the UK don’t even have the speed limit known. Of course the TRF’s members (who have a vested interest in this stuff) could always sponsor the work required.

Or are you saying that bods who ride off-road. Sn’t be arsed to look at an Ordnance Survey map and would rather have it spoon fed to them via a GPS device?

It is all there electronically on www

You just need to look at it and then create a route in Basecamp

Just like trundling down the M1 to London and then along the M4 to Bristol

You create your route in exactly the same way off-road, as on road

I think we are at cross purposes, JB.

Yes, with BaseCamp, anyone can look at an Ordnance Survey map and create a route in BaseCamp. What I think bods are asking for is pre-made software that can identify the various types of off-road tracks, BOATS and whatever it is they are all called, then to set it so the software limits itself to only tracks that are legal to ride along and go from there.

That software could be created, in exactly the same way that BaseCamp knows the direction of one way streets and the carriageways of the M1. But it would require the electronic data that sits behind the OS map, as to the type of track it is, as a drawing of it won’t help.

It doesn’t have 6 digit postcode, there’s no “up ahead” like on the Zumo’s and it’s a faff to search anywhere other than where you are- for instance if your are in London it’s hard to search for an address or poi in Leeds.

Ah deal breaker.
Ok. I'll get a 65 or 66 for to use on the small bike and keep the XT for road riding/traveling (mostly on GS).

Thanks for the info Berin.

One thing I really like about the Montana’s is profiles, which is great for multi-use

I really wish the XT had profiles, even a dumbed down version.
I find the map switching a tiny bit tedious to be fair. Also, it seems to reactivate all the map at once when restarted.

I’m selling a 600 and a GPSMap 276cx, if you’re interested. The mounts for the 700’s are different and I’ve switched over now.

Ah deal breaker.
Ok. I'll get a 65 or 66 for to use on the small bike and keep the XT for road riding/traveling (mostly on GS).

Thanks for the info Berin.

I really wish the XT had profiles, even a dumbed down version.
I find the map switching a tiny bit tedious to be fair. Also, it seems to reactivate all the map at once when restarted.

One reason it's not in electronic form is demand and more importantly there's occasions when a legal right of way changes, either temporarily or otherwise and unlike road mapping is unlikely to be updated.
As far as TRF members go, I'm not sure they do have a vested interest as there's more it to than contributing to a future dumbed down gene pool who follow a pink line.

Back
Top Bottom