Nav 6 issues - Faulty unit?

AJB999

Reaction score
Have some performance issues with my Navigator 6. I don't have another unit to compare it to but am now thinking the unit itself might be faulty.

Bike is booked into the dealer next week for a fault with the alarm so I'll also raise the nav issues then but would appreciate any feedback from other Nav 6 users on whether the behaviours are odd or normal.

1) When listening to music from either my phone or memory card and any direction or alert messages/beeps come through the music is abruptly cut off with a horrible noise (it actually sounds a bit like a needle/stylus being ripped off of a record). Music play then restarts a few seconds after the navigation message or alert.

In contrast if I'm using the Connected app/TFT for navigation music playback is not stopped but instead the music volume is just nicely dipped during any navigation messages.

2) The actual sound quality of alert messages and navigation directions from the Nav 6 is poor and distorted. Navigation directions from the Connected app/TFT are much clearer and easier to understand.

3) When zooming out the map display (using wonder wheel thing) areas of the enlarged map show up initially as blank grey squares before the map loads. Have also seen the same sort of thing a few times whilst just riding and the map updates for my changing location. I'd expect the unit to be able to load/display map data fast enough that this should never be seen.

For such a premium product ,

I can honestly say the audio implementation & delivery is by far it's Achilles heel

You can buy a £30 smartphone which will deliver Bluetooth audio seamlessly to headphones ,

mixed with nav & music. fading one in or out as required

'For such a premium product' - quite!

I'd had no experience of any bike satnav but decided to splash out on this expensive piece of kit to go with my new GSA.

Love the bike but the Nav 6 has been a real disappointment. It's like a piece of tech from 10+ years ago.

Do you have a mate with a different headset, or any bluetooth speaker really.
just to check its the Nav 6 and not your headset?

Reason i ask is, my cheap headset when receiving instructions fades in like someone is messing with the volume.
i often miss the beginning of the instruction.
I did wonder if its the headset going to sleep, and maybe playing music would keep it awake.

Ive ordered a new headset off ebay yesterday and it gets delivered tomorrow.
i will let you know if it makes any difference.

ok, Update.

My last headset was pretty crap when paired to the BMW Nav6, although it was great for music and communication?

The new one ive bought is much better, clear for both directions and telephone calls
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GB394TR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since they connect by bluetooth you would think they are all the same?

Bluetooth is a comms system with standards

Implement all the parts of the standard, and you get bluetooth as it was designed to be used

So if One oem adopts say a handfull of the standards , and another adopts a different handfull

both have bluetooth, but both may not talk fully to each other

so why dont they impliment all the various parts of the standard

Cost , time , space oem proprietary , etc

Who said standards would improve stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom