1150 not been run a while, now won’t

steve hartshorne

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Morning , right here we go!! 02 1150 with65k it’s been in the garage and not run for about 9 months.charged battery ,it fired ,ticked over on choke but won’t pick up on the throttle, sounded loud and lumpy then stopped kept trying but no good. Re charged battery cleans plugs and air filter (k&n) still rough not picking up on throttle , tank off and emptied rinsed with new fuel,replaced tank fresh fuel STILL rough managed to get it to 4 bar on temperature gage on tick over stops when you touch throttle any ideas ???!! tacking into account removing and replacing tank is about my limit Cheers steve

Last edited:
Did you lift tank off to remove battery to charge ? Then look at the throttle quadrants on the inside of the throttle bodies make sure they are both hitting on the "closed" stops if one is hanging back check your cables are properly seated in the adjusters Its "usually" the right side one :rob

Touch throttle and it dies ? Is a fair sign of HES failure

Did you try to start it with a very discharged battery prior to charging the battery ?

Battery charged with trickle charger through 12v plug didn’t connect to terminals seemed to be ok,tank did come off after it was last ridden. Will get tank off have a look at what you suggested thanks

Battery charged with trickle charger through 12v plug didn’t connect to terminals seemed to be ok,tank did come off after it was last ridden. Will get tank off have a look at what you suggested thanks

Good possibility then, another good indicator that a cable is not properly seated is when it is running one exhaust is MUCH hotter than the other

No need to remove the tank again, just look at the throttle bodies from the side.

Throttle bodies seem to be seated ok. So may be HSE, any other ideas??? Cheers

Not the throttle bodies

Make sure the cable quadrants come all the way to the stop screws (P.S. NEVER adjust those stop screws on the inner side of the throttle bodies they are factory set!)

There are 4 places that the cables can pull out of

one either side of the cable splitter box under the battery tray

one at each throttle cable adjuster screw at the top of the throttle bodies

If you are sure they are all seated correctly and the butterflies are completely closing?

Its "likely" but not 100% sure its the hall sensor set up

You could trace the wires and check for damage and the insulation cracking before you order new ones

I'd definitely go new rather than used ! They are already at least 14 years old by now last 1150 was 2006 GSA SE

I always thought only a dope would miss this one.

Then it happened to me ��

+2 -doesn't help the OP but I also got caught out by mis-seated throttle cables after 15+ years of 1150 ownership and many many posts on here. Rode the bike for around 4hrs with it running like an utter dog and racking my brains before I spotted it. Gave myself a good trashing.

How difficult is it getting to the hall sensor to see if it is the wiring that needs replacing or would it show up on a diognostic at the dealer cheers for the comments so far

How difficult is it getting to the hall sensor to see if it is the wiring that needs replacing or would it show up on a diagnostic at the dealer cheers for the comments so far

Are you hearing some thing "spraying" in the tank by any chance when its just about running??? There are a few problems with fuel hoses splitting this last while, Particularly the ones right by the pump/filter. so it can give you just enough fuel to run at tickover but when you open the throttle there's not enough fuel pressure and it dies

Hall sensor is basically the electronic equivalent of points there are two, One for ignition (Fires the both plugs at the same time) and one to trigger the injectors again at the same time

They are mounted on a tin plate behind that plastic cover at the front of the engine there are 4 small T25 or 4mm Allen screws that hold the black plastic alternator belt cover on slip it down and out, then you have the main belt pulley with a 16mm bolt in front of you
Up above you should see 3 x M8 nuts/bolts which hold / tension the alternator Slacken them all you should be able to jiggle the alternator down enough to slacken the belt and lift off

To get the pulley off you need to undo the crank bolt the 16mm hex headed bolt in the middle of the pulley

You need to prevent the engine from turning there are a few ways I prefer to use a big purpose ground screwdriver in the little oval timing hole on the right side of the engine (at the top where gearbox and engine join I have my big screwdriver ground down so it fits neatly into the flywheel teeth so I can insert the screw driver on the right and fit the socket and pull bar and press down on it and balance the bike from tipping

There is also a timing pin hole above the starter I think its an 8 mm maybe 10mm peg through the flywheel and into a pocket to lock the flywheel

Whatever method you use? Once the Belt is off and the bolt is removed The pulley will come off the crank When it does be careful of the inner disc part its the bit that triggers the hall sensors. There is a small bent tab that locks in to keep it in the correct timing a lot get squashed and they don;t fit correctly to time them up again

Behind the main pulley and Hall sensor trigger plate is a plate with the Hall sensors mounted The plate is held on x 3 m5 bolts

The wire travels up from the back of the pulley to the right side of the top of the engine and across to plug into the main loom above and behind the alternator You will need to have the tank off for this bit :thumb

usually wiring damage will be at the plate on the few cm of exposed insulation they crack up badly if there is any

Hope that gives you an Idea of what you need to do

Thanks for the info I recon that is WELL beyond my capabilities I was chuffed getting the tank off and back on. Would this problem show up on a diognostic looks like I will have to take the bike to a garage/dealer, thanks anyway

Thanks for the info I recon that is WELL beyond my capabilities I was chuffed getting the tank off and back on. Would this problem show up on a diognostic looks like I will have to take the bike to a garage/dealer, thanks anyway

Have a listen in your tank for that spraying/scooshing sound that would indicate a split pipe before you take it anywhere

You could give it tip top service and take it to Steptoe but that is away across in that there London

Dealers have quite high hourly rates? But I am sure someone will know an Independent nearer that could work on it for you ??

It’s not that difficult and you don’t need to fanny about locking the flywheel. The fiddliest part is routing the cable, before you pull the old cable out tie a piece of strong wire or string to the end then you can use that to pull the new cable back through. Maybe someone in your neck of the woods has a spare they could lend to help clarify if the hall sensors are shot?

It’s not that difficult and you don’t need to fanny about locking the flywheel.

Takes 5 seconds!! Much much easier than trying to hold the rear brake on with in gear whilst trying to lever the pull bar down etc etc

Not needed If you have an Impact gun, But then, How do you then torque it up correctly??

Takes 5 seconds!! Much much easier than trying to hold the rear brake on with in gear whilst trying to lever the pull bar down etc etc

Not needed If you have an Impact gun, But then, How do you then torque it up correctly??

A socket and wrench over the nut and a quick stab on the starter undoes the nut as per Steptoe’s tip. Never bothered torquing it up and never had an issue, but then I’ve only done about half a dozen.

A socket and wrench over the nut and a quick stab on the starter undoes the nut as per Steptoe’s tip. Never bothered torquing it up and never had an issue, but then I’ve only done about half a dozen.

Right been tied up at work for last 2 weeks so go to start bike ,starts first time and the revs pick up when I give it some throttle ,,,,,,bingo ,,,,take bike onto the road put it in gear won't pull away nothing.starts again revs ok put it in gear won't pull away and splutters and stalls . Is this what will happen if it's the hall sensor or is there any other sensor which may be the problem cheers steve

Back
Top Bottom