Running Hot ??

Deano64

Reaction score
Hello

Since my last service at an Indy, I get the feeling that my bike is running hotter than before ?
It might be my imagination, but the coolant hoses feel quite hot after a run. The fan still kicks in if I just leave it running after a run and there's no warning lights on the clocks about overheating etc .
Maybe I've just never felt the coolant hoses after a run before

Hello

Since my last service at an Indy, I get the feeling that my bike is running hotter than before ?
It might be my imagination, but the coolant hoses feel quite hot after a run. The fan still kicks in if I just leave it running after a run and there's no warning lights on the clocks about overheating etc .

Do you have display with little bars on the right hand side that shows water temp? Sort of the opposite to fuel. Its divided into blocks, my F650 and F700GS both run showing about 1/3 rd of the block scale. The fan cuts in between 25 and 50% of the block scale.

Secondly have you checked the level in the header tank when its cold?

Hello

All coolant hoses get hot ;)

its if one or more is cold when the engine is hot is the worry .

One pipe may feel cooler, due to the way that a cooling system works , but they all will be hot relatively speaking

What year/model are we talking about ?

Did the recent service include a coolant change ? If so the system may just need burping.

Some early 800 twins had a coolant pump & leakage issue, but this should all have been fixed long ago. Most modern bikes, with a cat, run pretty hot & lean which obviously becomes far more noticeable in summer conditions, particularly in traffic.

Thanks for all replies

It 2008 bike. I've had from new but only got 24000 miles on !!!. Anyway, there's no bars on my display (its the budget one). There's coolant in the expansion tank midway between upper and lower marks. Just not noticed it so hot in 12 years of ownership, but I'm sure its OK. Don't usually feel pipes and engine after a ride :). With the coolant pipes slipping of the pump lugs on the early models, I was lucky and didn't have this. It did go back for about 5-6 recalls in the early days though

Cheers all

F800GS by the way and it feels like a different bike with new head bearings on !!. It's been rubbish handling for ages, but I couldn't find any notchiness in the bearings when front end was lifted and neither could the Indy. However when he went out for a test ride he thought it was terrible handing. I'd just got used to it

The outside air temp during this mini hear wave can make a bike feel hotter when you get up close and personal :rolleyes:

Only 20 degrees up here but being sat on the bike when stationary feels like I'm sitting on the stove :D

Steve T

:cool:

I have an F650GS twin and it has always run quite hot. Even in cooler weather the fan will come on at times in heavy London traffic. Never a problem however. One thing worth mentioning though is that in really high temps like today for example, the fuel pump will cut out if the fuel tank level is low. Filling up fixes it straight away. I have only had this happen at higher speeds but it is a known issue. There apparently is a thermostat in circuit which causes this.

Back
Top Bottom