No front brake!

Slime Bomb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2012 1200 gs adv.

Just went to go for a ride, got to the end of the street and no front brake. WTF! It pulls, with no resistance right up to the grip and then clicks at the last bit. Very weird.

Has anyone experienced this before and what the feck do I do?

[video]https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOwG6cap324JnibKhJPcRkNK1OSh5V2q0tiqbQ2[/video]

Take it to a decent mechanic If you don’t know what you’re doing.
No front brake could have been game over.

Just to add, just come back from a 4,000 mile trip and everything was perfect. This morning, had the wheel off to have it re balance and it happened when I put it back on...

another guy just posted the same...

if no one tampered with the bike (letting out fluid or pushing back the pistons) the most likely fault is master cylinder seal...

but if that was the issue, (unless later bikes got and enhanced design of seal), many before you should have been having the issue

another guy just posted the same...

if no one tampered with the bike (letting out fluid or pushing back the pistons) the most likely fault is master cylinder seal...

but if that was the issue, (unless later bikes got and enhanced design of seal), many before you should have been having the issue

Someone did tamper with the bike. They took the front wheel off and didn’t put it back right.

Caliper pistons pushed back to get the wheel off? Is normal braking restored after 2/3 pumps of the lever?

I would say it's not just possibly, that's certainly what happened.

Nah. Can’t be. That would mean someone took their front wheel off, replaced it, but then never even checked the brake operation before setting off.
Nobody would be that daft......

agree. when refitting wheel you have to pump lever until lever is firm. But i'm surprised you only noticed at end of road. Generally it's worth engaging brake when you take bike off centrestand for exactly this reason - you check brake works before you start riding

Ok, hands up, I did forget to pump it :blast but didn't prise the pads apart, just took the calipers off and put back on. I know I should have still pumped it like many times before but what's happened, and what needs to be done?

when removing a caliper, the pistons will move to some extent.

often they must move a) to give enough clearance to slide out easily and refit, b) to get clearance past the lip on the outer edge of slightly worn discs

Thursday I got a puncture and couldn't sort in situ, so took the front off, as the calipers are in good condition, a gentle twist after removing the silly torx fastenings had the piston fall back in a long way. Requiring 4 full pumps before I got a solid lever.... the first thing I did having tightened the caliper bolts. Which is what anyone should do whilst ensuring you observe the level in the reservoir (before removing calipers, when refitting and when pumping up the brakes).

2012 1200 gs adv.

Just went to go for a ride, got to the end of the street and no front brake. WTF! It pulls, with no resistance right up to the grip and then clicks at the last bit. Very weird.

Has anyone experienced this before and what the feck do I do?

[video]https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOwG6cap324JnibKhJPcRkNK1OSh5V2q0tiqbQ2[/video]

I genuinely think you are very brave admitting to a mistake like that, especially on this forum, knowing full well the response you were going to get from the people on here.
Seriously though, that type of mistake, especially on a motorcycle could of ended in tragedy. If you are not knowledgeable in these areas, leave it to people that are.
Thank god it ended well.

It's great that people want to learn how to work on bike and the only way to learn is to do. fvcks ups are inevitable. main thing is not to fvck up big. and fvcking up brakes is one area that can constitute 'big'. so it's aresult to make this mistake, have no problems, and then know to double check next time.

basically, if you work on your brakes and aren't veyr familiar with whatever you are doing, then make absolutely sure afterwards everything works.

In this case you removed the calipers which shifts pads backwards, moves pistons in to calipers, and forces brake fluid back up into the reservoir. It doesn't have to be a lot. but you have to get some clearance between pads and discs. so when you refit, you have to pump that fluid back into the hydraulic system

if you watch mechanics after working on brakes they will spin wheel and engage brakes to check. they will apply brakes when pushing bike. you won't really notice they do it, but they do do it every time. double check

Ok, hands up, I did forget to pump it :blast but didn't prise the pads apart, just took the calipers off and put back on. I know I should have still pumped it like many times before but what's happened, and what needs to be done?

In practice it should just come naturally to squeeze the brake lever as you throw your leg across the bike. End of. JJH

Back
Top Bottom