Cardo Packtalk, broken charging port

Status
Not open for further replies.

russ996duke

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I like the Cardo, it works well and does what I expect it to.

What I am less keen on is that the micro usb port in mine has come loose inside the unit and even with a lot of fiddling about trying to make the contact to charge it up, it now won't chargeat all

I have messaged Cardo and will ring them but wonder if anyone has experienced same fault?
Bought off Amazon less than 2 years ago and with little use this year for obvious reasons seems a bit rubbish, really!

I have an original Packtalk and have used it a lot for the last 5 years, no issues with the charging port. But I have seen others on the facebook page saying the port has come away, so they must have changed something. It needs replacing and if it's still under warranty you will be golden, but if not, then think you are stuffed unless you repair it yourself. Good luck with Cardo support, it's a bit hit and miss. This is one reason why I would only ever buy from a UK authorised dealer. Mail Creags from this parish, he is a Cardo dealer, he maybe able to offer some advice and help

I have an original Packtalk and have used it a lot for the last 5 years, no issues with the charging port. But I have seen others on the facebook page saying the port has come away, so they must have changed something. It needs replacing and if it's still under warranty you will be golden, but if not, then think you are stuffed unless you repair it yourself. Good luck with Cardo support, it's a bit hit and miss. This is one reason why I would only ever buy from a UK authorised dealer. Mail Creags from this parish, he is a Cardo dealer, he maybe able to offer some advice and help

I hope it is still under warranty, I seem to recall it had a 2 year warranty when I bought it off amazon.
I will keep trying cardo support by phone

Strange one! Not heard of that being an issue before.

Reckon it's an isolated case, and would expect Cardo to sort for you. I think they have pretty good aftercare.

Strange one! Not heard of that being an issue before.

Reckon it's an isolated case, and would expect Cardo to sort for you. I think they have pretty good aftercare.

Its not an isolated case, like I said on the Packtalk facebook page, loads have had charging ports come away

Well
Looks promising at least compared to SENA non existent customer service !
First there is a UK based support Second it is possible to speak to a human!
Been given an RMA number and unit is on its way to them as it’s still under warranty
They did say “if it was damage caused by user” they won’t help but I pointed out that it was clearly a design fault
Just a waiting game now

Well
Looks promising at least compared to SENA non existent customer service !
First there is a UK based support Second it is possible to speak to a human!
Been given an RMA number and unit is on its way to them as it’s still under warranty
They did say “if it was damage caused by user” they won’t help but I pointed out that it was clearly a design fault
Just a waiting game now

What people have been doing, is charging it on the helmet, rather than removing it, so if its being charged with the helmet on a table, there is weight on the socket. But there have been many reports of this same issue, so good luck :)

It should make no difference whether its charged on or off helmet, Cardo do not specify that it must be removed to be charged. I found it more convinient to charge it off helmet, but that was simply personal preference.
Looking at the design, simply wacking a micro usb port on the edge of a circuit board is poor design and is not really fit for purpose bearing in mind the Cardo is supposed to be meant for rugged conditions!

It should make no difference whether its charged on or off helmet, Cardo do not specify that it must be removed to be charged. I found it more convinient to charge it off helmet, but that was simply personal preference.
Looking at the design, simply wacking a micro usb port on the edge of a circuit board is poor design and is not really fit for purpose bearing in mind the Cardo is supposed to be meant for rugged conditions!

I assume the pressure on the socket, or slight sideways pressure on the cable - is making the difference. I think the G4 and G9 also have the socket on the edge of the PCB.

Looking at the design, simply wacking a micro usb port on the edge of a circuit board is poor design and is not really fit for purpose bearing in mind the Cardo is supposed to be meant for rugged conditions![/QUOT

Of course it will make a difference, if you have the Packtalk mounted low on the helmet and then connect the micro USB the weight of the helmet will be putting pressure on the socket with the cable plugged in. Off the Helmet their is no weight on the cable. I have had a Packtalk for around 5 years and a G9 before that and have never had any issue with the socket, but I have also never charged it whilst it is in its cradle. I am only telling you what Cardo have been saying. It is waterproof and depends what you call rugged, I see no issue charging it on the helmet if the unit is higher and there is no pressure on the plug.

in practical terms the scenario you describe may occur but not one I have encountered.Where have you seen that cardo suggest charging off helmet? have you a link?
( I still think its a pants piece of design)

in practical terms the scenario you describe may occur but not one I have encountered.Where have you seen that cardo suggest charging off helmet? have you a link?

I haven't! :blast Casbar suggested that some people were getting around it.

And before you get pissy with that - I am not suggesting that you SHOULD HAVE TO do that.

Maybe a bad batch? who knows.

If you are putting the weight of the helmet on the cable and the socket it will not help, this only occurs if the unit is mounted low down, on one of my helmets the unit is so low that it nearly rests on it when the helmet is sitting. In this case if I connected the micro usb socket, it would be resting on it. I can not be bothered to do any research on where cardo advises not to put pressure on the socket by charging on the Helmet. But I have been a member of the Packtalk facebook page and a cardo support page for years and this has cropped up, with cardo stating pressure on the socket ie the weight of the helmet is causing sockets to break. Probably also not being careful when pushing the plug in. I will state again, this is not a cut and dry case as to why the sockets come away, but that has been a theory cardo have expressed. Just for everyones clarity, I don't give a toss whether you charge on or off the Helmet. I have never and also have never had an issue with these sockets in over 8 years and the units are used daily. It might be a recent manufacturing issue, maybe mine were soldered better :)

happy ending, Cardo have sent a brand new replacement unit, no comments ref how to charge, how the way charged may have damaged their weak design, nothing said at all
all I have to do is charge it up, recreate dmc groups and pair it to my phone and sat nav...oh joy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom