Fuel smell - have I overfilled it? (2012 RT)

gabriel_gs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
New (to me) 2012 1200RT

Filled up last night, this morning there’s a noticeable smell of petrol in the garage

Have I over filled?

Nothing visible, fuel cap tightly shut

Just took it for a quick 12 mile run in case

Anything obvious to check?

usually the filler cap not latched, worth a double check, did you brim it? ambient temps at moment may cause cold fuel to expand and vent a little from the overflow pipe, would evaporate quickly so wouldn't necessary see a puddle of fuel, ride it a bit and use some fuel and check again in a day or so

One of our 2007 RTps has a bad fuel smell. Checked all the obvious things, but apparently there is a breather somewhere that can get blocked. The bike is going in for another fuel strip so we will get it checked then.

usually the filler cap not latched, worth a double check, did you brim it? ambient temps at moment may cause cold fuel to expand and vent a little from the overflow pipe, would evaporate quickly so wouldn't necessary see a puddle of fuel, ride it a bit and use some fuel and check again in a day or so

what he said...I always fill my 2013 TC RT up at the end of a ride so it goes away full (I know, it's just how I like it) and 99% of the time I overfill it at the petrol station to the point that a bit pisses out of the overflow hose, the garage regularly smells a little of petrol, but if there's no puddle you don't have a leak.

Doesn't it advise somewhere not to fill fuel tank right up to top as the fuel expands with temperature rise and forces out into breather and runs wherever. I leave the fuel nozzle in the tank a couple of inches and when it shuts off at the pump its stops automatically. The extra bit of fuel thats squeezed in doesn't get you much further and its not worth the risk of overspill onto a hot engine.

Doesn't it advise somewhere not to fill fuel tank right up to top as the fuel expands with temperature rise and forces out into breather and runs wherever. I leave the fuel nozzle in the tank a couple of inches and when it shuts off at the pump its stops automatically. The extra bit of fuel thats squeezed in doesn't get you much further and its not worth the risk of overspill onto a hot engine.

Yep, it sure does, you are absolutely correct.

Back
Top Bottom