Catastrophic failure

Rushy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
:( :( :( :( :( :(

Bike is only 6 years old and has not quite done 30k miles and for the second time in its young life I’ve had a catastrophic headlamp failure. Typically the first time it happened the bike was just out of warranty.

Without investigating it yet I’m pretty convinced it will be the same problem as before so I’m not happy. The small , thin metal wire that is suspended between two metal posts inside the H7 bulb has almost certainly failed .....again !!!!:eek:

I just got off the phone to my dealer and he’s refusing to do anything about it and claims it’s a consumable item !? :mad:
Whilst the bike has actually been perfect other than this issue I still feel very let down and disillusioned. Am I too late to reject the bike as not fit for purpose ?

Bike is a Honda V4 Crosstourer and I was warned that Honda were not as good at honouring warranty issues as BMW. First lockdown , then a ban on most international travel and now this :blast :banghead:

I feel your pain; have you tried writing (on paper) to your MP ?

Feck......I was warned not to buy a Honda!!
(by my GS riding mates)

Would it be advisable to carry one of these vulnerable parts as a spare......or two maybe until I can get the bike sold??

from my G8 ThinQ

Feck......I was warned not to buy a Honda!!
(by my GS riding mates)

Would it be advisable to carry one of these vulnerable parts as a spare......or two maybe until I can get the bike sold??

from my G8 ThinQ

Its obsolete, no hangy things in an LED headlight. Scrap it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now if that was a bmw you would have grounds to reject it. On a Honda? Not a chance. JJH

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Bike is only 6 years old and has not quite done 30k miles and for the second time in its young life I’ve had a catastrophic headlamp failure. Typically the first time it happened the bike was just out of warranty.

Without investigating it yet I’m pretty convinced it will be the same problem as before so I’m not happy. The small , thin metal wire that is suspended between two metal posts inside the H7 bulb has almost certainly failed .....again !!!!:eek:

I just got off the phone to my dealer and he’s refusing to do anything about it and claims it’s a consumable item !? :mad:
Whilst the bike has actually been perfect other than this issue I still feel very let down and disillusioned. Am I too late to reject the bike as not fit for purpose ?

Bike is a Honda V4 Crosstourer and I was warned that Honda were not as good at honouring warranty issues as BMW. First lockdown , then a ban on most international travel and now this :blast :banghead:

Is there no way the headlamp can be stripped and the broken/fucked part replaced?

There must be a way of replacing many of these so called non replaceable parts. Dealers don't do it because it takes time/dedication/skill and it's easier and cheaper to replace the whole unit.

If it were mine I'd have the unit apart and find a way of fitting a LED lamp.

Did you remove and lightly lube the connectors regularly... it's the only way......

Is there no way the headlamp can be stripped and the broken/fucked part replaced?

There must be a way of replacing many of these so called non replaceable parts. Dealers don't do it because it takes time/dedication/skill and it's easier and cheaper to replace the whole unit.

If it were mine I'd have the unit apart and find a way of fitting a LED lamp.

I'd be fairly sure replacing the H7 will cure the issue (for another couple of years anyway)

I'll take them (they're probably tax deductible for you)

from my G8 ThinQ

Last edited:
It’s obviously a failing regulator. So you have grounds to reject. JJH

Try writing a polite letter to Honda UK, esp. because it is a repeat problem. If they refer you back to an Authorised Dealer then its shorthand for "we will pay most of it".

I suspect this is just the tip of the iceberg. The headlamp is an integral part of the front of the bike and to be safe you should change everything in front of the tank as a precaution. Bloody Hondas and their reputation for being reliable; you've blown that out of the water.

I suspect this is just the tip of the iceberg. The headlamp is an integral part of the front of the bike and to be safe you should change everything in front of the tank as a precaution. Bloody Hondas and their reputation for being reliable; you've blown that out of the water.

Fuck me, id better cancel the order I have for my one then

I’m thinking of leaving it broken for now . I fitted two white LED side light bulbs a while back that fairly well match the spotlights and with them on and no ‘orange’ headlamp it looks quite good from the front.

I’m thinking of leaving it broken for now . I fitted two white LED side light bulbs a while back that fairly well match the spotlights and with them on and no ‘orange’ headlamp it looks quite from the front.
They handy enough to get at??

from my G8 ThinQ

I’m thinking of leaving it broken for now . I fitted two white LED side light bulbs a while back that fairly well match the spotlights and with them on and no ‘orange’ headlamp it looks quite from the front.

You cant do that since its an MOT failure , and the canbus system will flag up alarms and put you into limp mode and email the dealer and your bank.........oh sorry I forgot its not a BMW

I went out for a spin with a KTM and a BMW this morning........there ended up being a Transit Van and ratchet straps involved......and it wasn't for my Honda, funnily enough!!

from my G8 ThinQ

Fuck me, id better cancel the order I have for my one then

Don’t do that, as there are a few here ready to buy it when you get bored of it after 3 months. ;)

Back
Top Bottom