Iridium spark plugs for California 3, 36mm carbs , electronic ignition. Think it;s Di

ELIMINATOR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bugger, the title is too long. Digiplex ignition, if my memory is correct.... that's another story.

Spark plug time.

Thought I'd go along the iridium route, they last longer and the gap shouldn't go out of spec for a long time. Not that it does huge miles....

I've gone through this before when I changed the plugs.... sigh.

GUZZIOLOGY has several entries for the Cali' 3. Depending if it's Digiplex of Motoplat ignition, Digiplex is BP7, Motoplat is BP6. Note that the letter "R" is missing from these!

Just looked at my Moto Guzzi workshop manual.. downloaded from the internet, NGK BPR 6 ES

How much does it really matter?

Groan.

Thoughts on this?

I'm currently going with getting NGK BPR6EIX, .....

Read the bit in Guzziology about fancy plugs ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bugger, the title is too long. Digiplex ignition, if my memory is correct.... that's another story.

Spark plug time.

Thought I'd go along the iridium route, they last longer and the gap shouldn't go out of spec for a long time. Not that it does huge miles....

I've gone through this before when I changed the plugs.... sigh.

GUZZIOLOGY has several entries for the Cali' 3. Depending if it's Digiplex of Motoplat ignition, Digiplex is BP7, Motoplat is BP6. Note that the letter "R" is missing from these!

Just looked at my Moto Guzzi workshop manual.. downloaded from the internet, NGK BPR 6 ES

How much does it really matter?

Groan.

Thoughts on this?

I'm currently going with getting NGK BPR6EIX, .....

I've just put these in my 1994, registered 1996 Strada 1000, now running new Newtronic ignition.
(Piranha ignition in its day )

And just put them in my Breva 1100.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200227-193615.jpg
    Screenshot_20200227-193615.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Screenshot_20200110-191538_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200110-191538_Gallery.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 129
Nin,
I'm guessing it says that they're a waste of time. My theory is that the less often I have to remove plugs, the less chance there is of me stripping threads or crud getting in the bores.

Ash, yeah, 6's would seem to be the way to go.

Thanks guys

Yep, that’s it. You only really need to mess with them once a year or every 6k miles. And I’d still want to check the fancy ones anyway, to see what the mixture is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Downpipes stay a consistently light straw colour, visual indicator.

You're probably right, but, to me, it's a question of longevity. Don't have to change the plugs so often, and they stay at the correct gap for longer.

I run my 1150 GS on 10/50 synthetic, and change oil & filter every 12,000 miles, for the same reason.

"Longevity" = lazy bastard!

I did a bit of research regarding Iridium plugs a few years back using some of my toys and was quite suprised with the results .

1. More modern vehicle ie an r1200gsa tc with electronic ignition and fuel injection .................... very little if any difference using iridium plugs

2. An older car a mid 90's Corrado with electronic ignition and basic Bosch mechanical fuel injection ..... car started better and ran better and gave an extra couple of mpg plus they lasted longer

3. 1170 big bore tuned gsx1100 katana with basic electronic ignition and carbs, they made a huge difference , the bike started and ran better and immediately settled down to a steady tickover which it never used to do. Plugs lasting much longer with a consistent performace increase .

4. older VW with points ignition and carbs, again a really suprising result with better starting, tickover and performance .

So in my experience the older and less advanced the vehicle the greater the benefit they get from iridium plugs ,whereas , newer more advanced vehicles seem to only get the advantage of longevity

Back
Top Bottom