AFXied wit new firmware

Winjar

Reaction score
Anybody know if BMW release new firmware, it has effect on AFXIED, on LC 2018.

I know that the latest bikes have an extra O2 sensor after the cat, that could cause the ECU to relearn the AF-Xied out.

I know that the latest bikes have an extra O2 sensor after the cat, that could cause the ECU to relearn the AF-Xied out.

I think the extra O2 sensor was introduced with the 1250, i.e. onwards from 2019.

Thanks guys, I know about 1250, but reed some place about bmw upgrading firmware and maybe make something on AF-xied, maybe wasfor older af-xied version, new one work very very good.

Afx, went off sale for a short while due to firmware that looked for spoofers, iirc, later AFx has a time delay built in that allowed them to work on the later firmware on LCs

Details were on here or on Nightrider.com

Afx, went off sale for a short while due to firmware that looked for spoofers, iirc, later AFx has a time delay built in that allowed them to work on the later firmware on LCs

Details were on here or on Nightrider.com

Thanks, maybe that was what I did not understand. :okay

I don't want to rain on @popells parade, but to set the record straight:
Euro 4 emission requirements where enforced in 2016. This required the engine to meet the emission standard for the first 20K km.
In order to make sure this worked, BMW introduced a self test on the O2 sensor, since the feedback from the O2 sensor is the backbone for proper fueling.
When cold, the O2 sensor emits no voltage, and represents close to infinite resistance, and when warmed up, the O2 sensor emits a voltage between 0 and 1 volt, depending on the amount of free oxygen in the exhaust. Hence, the self test must be performed when O2 sensor is in a 'non warmed up' condition. To BMW this means it was checked only after engine had been stopped for quite a while, and engine temperature was below a defined temperature (I think it is in the 40 - 50 degree range). ECU can only check for abnormal voltage measured on the O2 sensor input line at this stage. The ECU emits a bias voltage of ca 0,45V to the O2 sensor, and any deviation from this voltage when starting a cold engine is interpreted as a faulty O2 sensor, and a fault message is recorded, and engine will run in open loop mode only (meaning no consideration for feedback from the O2 sensor). Prior to modification, the AF-XIED emitted a 'too lean' voltage to the ECU prior to the O2 sensor warmup. This voltage triggered the ECU voltage check and generated a fault code.

Nightrider, after being notified of the problem, stopped the sales for a few months until they had come up with a cure. And this has made the 'after cure' AF-XIED working on all the 1200's.

The 1250 is equipped with a different type of O2 sensor (Wideband in stead of narrow band). This type of sensors works in a different way, so the current AF-XIED will not work on the 1250.

It has been suggested in several posts that BMW has designed the ECU to sniff for modifications.
BMW's only concern is to make an engine that meets the emission requirements. They don't give a shit if you modify the engine, beyond making the guarantee invalid if you do.

Euro 4 emission requirements where enforced in 2016. This required the engine to meet the emission standard for the first 20K km.
In order to make sure this worked, BMW introduced a self test on the O2 sensor, since the feedback from the O2 sensor is the backbone for proper fueling.
When cold, the O2 sensor emits no voltage, and represents close to infinite resistance, and when warmed up, the O2 sensor emits a voltage between 0 and 1 volt, depending on the amount of free oxygen in the exhaust. Hence, the self test must be performed when O2 sensor is in a 'non warmed up' condition. To BMW this means it was checked only after engine had been stopped for quite a while, and engine temperature was below a defined temperature (I think it is in the 40 - 50 degree range). ECU can only check for abnormal voltage measured on the O2 sensor input line at this stage. The ECU emits a bias voltage of ca 0,45V to the O2 sensor, and any deviation from this voltage when starting a cold engine is interpreted as a faulty O2 sensor, and a fault message is recorded, and engine will run in open loop mode only (meaning no consideration for feedback from the O2 sensor). Prior to modification, the AF-XIED emitted a 'too lean' voltage to the ECU prior to the O2 sensor warmup. This voltage triggered the ECU voltage check and generated a fault code.

Nightrider, after being notified of the problem, stopped the sales for a few months until they had come up with a cure. And this has made the 'after cure' AF-XIED working on all the 1200's.

The 1250 is equipped with a different type of O2 sensor (Wideband in stead of narrow band). This type of sensors works in a different way, so the current AF-XIED will not work on the 1250.

It has been suggested in several posts that BMW has designed the ECU to sniff for modifications.
BMW's only concern is to make an engine that meets the emission requirements. They don't give a shit if you modify the engine, beyond making the guarantee invalid if you do.

Excellent explaning thank you, and I suppose day of touching engine of 1250 has gone, beoz that bike runs so good and fuel also.

Excellent explaning thank you, and I suppose day of touching engine of 1250 has gone, beoz that bike runs so good and fuel also.

The 1250 is the best running LC boxer up to now, as the wideband O2 sensor gives the ECU a better accuracy to give the correct fueling.
However, due to the cat, the exhaust still has to contain some excess oxygen, as the cat needs oxygen.
Dropping the cat, a richening of the fuel will allow for this oxygen to be tied up to fuel-molecules, meaning that there is still a small potential for a bit more power. However, for the majority of street riders, this is of academic interest.

The 1250 is the best running LC boxer up to now, as the wideband O2 sensor gives the ECU a better accuracy to give the correct fueling.
However, due to the cat, the exhaust still has to contain some excess oxygen, as the cat needs oxygen.
Dropping the cat, a richening of the fuel will allow for this oxygen to be tied up to fuel-molecules, meaning that there is still a small potential for a bit more power. However, for the majority of street riders, this is of academic interest.

Yes for most GS owner, 1 week diet and they win 5Hp more. :D

Thanks Knutk, for your very comprehensive and clear reply's. When I fitted decat headers to my 15 GS I increased my AF-Xied setting from 7 to 8 and the bike runs beautifully. I did a full service including a valve check about a 1000 miles after the new headers were fitted and the plugs were a nice beige colour. It now all makes sense, as you described it in post #9.

Accurate, clear explanation. Well done.

Back
Top Bottom