R1250GS vs R1250R

Each to there own and all that. Not interested in going off road so RS for me. And i think it looks a lot better than a GS It probably handles better for me cos I am only 67kg

With been a big fat biffa at about 135kg the lovely gs suspension somehow magically makes me feel like im floating...dont know how it does it but it does.

Been a chap at 67kg your at a massive advantage...you get on the bike Pete and it smiles, i get on it and its red in the face ;)

Cant really comment on the RS as ive not rode one, but i still stick to that the R1250R is shite and isnt honestly in the same league as the GS :okay

I have the r1200rs so a bit less weight than a 1250. On a side note its about time BMW tried and shed some weight. Even the new f900xr is 219 kg and its supposed to be a middle weight

I wouldn't argue with that, though some of the extra lard is a result of the Eurocnuts emission regs. Each to their own and if you prefer the RS that's fiine by me. I test rode a 1250RS back in January and against the 1200GS I had at the time I didn't like the riding position and lack of all round visibility compared to the tractor which showed up on my ride home so I got another GS instead. Those that say you shouldn't get a GS if you're not riding off road are missing the point IMO as it's a superb road bike irrespective of whether you want to use it off road or not.

Thanks for reminding me why I bought a GS instead of a R...;)
I remember the fork was not as good as T-L especially when riding fast on bumpy pavement,the centerstand grinding and the RS while great looking not as quick steering as the GS....I have to wait for a GS with 17" wheels....straight from the factory....M1300GS...:thumb

Thanks for reminding me why I bought a GS instead of a R...;)
I remember the fork was not as good as T-L especially when riding fast on bumpy pavement,the centerstand grinding and the RS while great looking not as quick steering as the GS....I have to wait for a GS with 17" wheels....straight from the factory....M1300GS...:thumb

Over bumpy roads, the 19” wheel of the GS offers better control and stability than a 17”. If you are grounding out an R, then you should just lose some weight or the front suspension isn’t set up for your weight. Telelever is not a superior design and has downsides too. And if you think traditional suspension does not offer enough travel, I don’t think any of the Dakar rally boys would agree with you for going really fast over bumpy ground. Oh, and I don’t think they run 17” wheels either ;)

Sounds like you may prefer a Multistrada 1260 which has the 17”, adaptive Ohlins which will support your weight, and the 160hp you desire.... just needs a bit of chain maintenance which is a doddle!

I'm not heavy but the R definitely has less ground clearance in turns than a GS if you ride hard....As for Telelever it is way superior to any fork...Just think about breaking where a fork dives,eventually bottoms out or a electronic fork gets stiffer to resist fork dive...Nothing like that with T-L that resists fork dive and stays compliant not matter if the pavement gets bumpy or hard on the brakes...brilliant ! Forks are just outdated...and if they still are used in road racing that is because race tracks have pavement that is mostly smooth unlike the real roads we ride on 90% of the time...I hated the 1260MS with it's high center of gravity and banana type saddle which locks you in a single riding position...If it wasn't for the GS I probably would ride a 2016 XR EU-3 2016 painted in black with full Akra and CF wheels...;)
B.t.w. the 2020 1250GS-HP was named best bike for the Alps/King of the Alps by MOTORRAD against stiff competition like S1000R,S1000XR.KTM1290SuperADV,Duc MS and Afreeka Twin...! Too bad the R1250R was not included in the comparison...

I don’t disagree that Telelever is effective... but Yep - I am sure Sam Sunderland says Telescopic forks are out of date and don’t work on bumpy terrain...
get a grip dude. I don’t think you are working the GS beyond it’s abilities. Perhaps you should adjust your riding style?

50303e06db140f3f0d1a078a5bfb6bf2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spareparts off road and road racing on perfect smooth pavement the fork is better...More fork travel off road , lighter road racing and theoretically quicker steering with less trail fully compressed on the brakes...I give you that.
But for road-riding T-L beats any fork hands down...:thumby: Much more comfortable due to softer spring rates,no dive no bottoming out hard on the brakes while still ironing out all bumps...T-L is so much better than even an expensive Ohlins fork as I found out on my ex R Nine T...I can't believe that BMW was so stupid to ditch T-L for the fork on the R and RS boxers...:eek: Just because some idiots in the press write about lack of front end feel because of T-L ? Tell that Marquez who crashes out every training in MotoGP because he does not feel the front despite his $ 100 000 Ohlins fork made from unobtainiun...:D
But yes off road and MotoGP/WSBK the old tech fork still has its use even 80 years after it's invention...Road riding I don't think I will ever go back like I don't miss points,carburetors or drum brakes...;)

Got to try an 1250R...Fun bike,..Feels even fast with the combination of 1250 boxer and 40 lbs less weight than a GS.
Steering is light but above 50-60 mph the GS steering feels lighter...which is weird.Maybe the tires as MZ8 are old & outdated...Could use more ground clearance as centerstand will scrape.But T-L is better than a fork that dives and stiffens up on the brakes...We need a combination of Both...An XR version of the R1250GS:thumb
For shorter people the R might be better though and due to power and practicality (centerstand,bags,rack,topcase) I definitely would pick on over the better looking R Nine T...For the same reason over a 1290 SuperDuke that offer nothing to make it practical,has only a 16 liter tank for this year and in EU-5 trim needs 2,5 seconds lonher 60-180 km/h in roll-on...And the mags still call it a beast...:D

Do try an R1250R. Much as I love the GS every time I get on it, the 1200R and 1250R are so much more lively bikes. I'm seriously tempted to chop my 1200GS in for a 1250R. Except I only bought my 1200R in February... :blast

Chazzy trade your 1200R for an 1250R...Life is short and money can be made...The difference between the 1200 & 1250 is huge !
I would buy a R myself if it had Telelever...;)
Had 3 R1200 R bikes myself when they still had T-L but then changed to team GS even if I don't go off road...:D
Had even a R Nine T...hated the fork even after switching to Ohlins...

Back
Top Bottom