Which type of panniers

Barnoe

Moto Vlogger
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Im still not sure which panniers to go with

• BMW ones that clip straight on the bike
which are small but expensive but convenient on and off?

• Bigger 3rd party ones made for strength
With permanent pannier frames fitted but hold firm if off road

• 3rd part ones that fit a removable frame
Lighter with 3 fixing point and can be removed when not touring

i didn't really want a permanent frame, but in typical fashion the panniers i like only fit on a permanent one (Givi outback) need to look into SW Motech options too

Has anyone got experience of the removable ones?
are they secure or a bit flimsy?

think he has a R1200 GS TE Exclusive 2017.

(by searching for his first post)

If your riding solo (and not camping) none, dont need em. a waterproof roll bag is all you need.

2 up or camping you need something to carry the missis's (or camping) paraphenallia.

Soft panniers have good arguments for them, size and capacity are equivalent, weight advantage, safety advantage, damage to subframe advantage in a spill.... soft panniers act as cushions, hard panniers act as energy transmitters.

Givi do quick release frames you can take off and put on in minutes

Tracker Outback Boxes are excellent, especially the locking/mounting system, get black as the aluminum ones tarnish

R1200 GS TE Exclusive 2017... in fact picking it up today at 5pm after work :)

I will be camping and some of thos trip will include the other half.

King Rat, your argument for soft panniers is a good one, and they are cheaper too

Leadfarmer,
The Tracker outback boxes dont fit on the removable frames i dont think... shame as i like them.
Good point about the tarnishing of ally boxes though... didnt think of that, but dont black ones get scratched easily, showing shiny metal through?

Had tracker outbacks on my Crosstourer with qd frames, check their website :thumb2

Have black touratec on my GS and they do not scratch, the mounting system is nowhere near as good as the Givi system though

I went with Givi outback 56ltr topbox and trekker panniers
33ltr for exhaust side and 46 ltr on the other

ive fiitted the topbox and a couple of things i noticed.
the monokey plate is just plastic with such a big box it doesnt seem safe to me
the back rest that came with the givi outback just came with stickers to stick it on? surely a few rainy days will have that off
think i will have to buy some small bolts and bolt it on.

Think i will still buy a couple of dry bags for other gear i may need, i need to do a test run by loading up the bike, see what i can fit on.
the cases look big enough for my stuff, but you never know... i might need the kitchen sink :p

I've just bitten the bullet for some Mosko Backcountry panniers for my 800GSA. They are soft but very tough and hard wearing.

I went with Givi outback 56ltr topbox and trekker panniers
33ltr for exhaust side and 46 ltr on the other

ive fiitted the topbox and a couple of things i noticed.
the monokey plate is just plastic with such a big box it doesnt seem safe to me
the back rest that came with the givi outback just came with stickers to stick it on? surely a few rainy days will have that off
think i will have to buy some small bolts and bolt it on.

Think i will still buy a couple of dry bags for other gear i may need, i need to do a test run by loading up the bike, see what i can fit on.
the cases look big enough for my stuff, but you never know... i might need the kitchen sink :p

Hey Barnoe, my advice from experience is take as little as possible, place all the clothes you think you may need for yor trip on the bed then halve it.
The more you take the more overloaded you will be.

Agreed mine are brilliant and you can use a pack safe thing for security

:D They look great, my Lomo 40L dry bag and 30L backpack are fantastic and amazing value.

I have looked at the Lomo panniers seeing as they are so cheap i was thinking about getting them anyway as a future option.

Hey Barnoe, my advice from experience is take as little as possible, place all the clothes you think you may need for yor trip on the bed then halve it.
The more you take the more overloaded you will be.

Wont cutting all my clothes in half make them difficult to wear :thumb

this conversation reminds of when i walked the "Pennine way" when i was younger, i loaded up so much it was ridiculous lol
2 days in i begged a mate to come and take some gear off me in his car, i met him at a nearby road and dumped nearly all of it.
ended up completing the rest of the walk with a small backpack you would send a kid to school with :D

I suppose this is the bike version... duly noted Jersey ;)

Hi Barnoe.
You just maybe able to help me. Ive wanted a GS for a while and the stumbling block has been panniers. I like the Vario ones as they fit the bike etc, however my wife finds they restrict movement of her feet on the pillion pegs. Had the same issue with my current bike a Honda Crosstourer. We sorted this by fitting the Givi quick release rails and Trekker boxes like yourself. These move the boxes away from the bike a little and leave a small gap so she can move her feet a back a little.

Would you have any pictures of them fitted, especially the relationship of the pillion peg to the pannier? Ive trawelled the internet and cant find pictures that answer my question.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Back
Top Bottom