A BMW R90S – a deep clean, (first), which could take me months

BillN

Reaction score
Maybe 12 or 15 years ago I bought a lovely R90S from a dealer - 2,500 recorded miles from new, he said that he had kept it in his showroom and never really used it – he gave me a letter certifying all this, plus the “paperwork”.
I only rode it for maybe 250 miles and then went back to a para GS, which I much preffered – I put the Bike away and thought I’d come back to it later – well I never really did, so when we moved to France – 10 years ago, the Bike went with us – I then sprayed it with that yellow stuff, (forgot the name), etc., and put it in one of the rooms we did not use.
Anyway – we came back from France and I obviously brought the Bike with me.
So I have started a “big” clean – which will take me months as I intend to strip the Bike to clean each external part separately, replacing any bits that I am unhappy with............I just want to document the work just for something to do, for a few hours a day - (sad really, as my wife would say!!) - so it's a deep clean first before I get on to any other stuff

The Bike has not been run since 2007 - so may I need to get the carbs cleaned - (any recommends?)

Here’s a few photos of the Bike

GS_R90S_1.jpg

GS_R90S_2.jpg

GS_R90S_3.jpg

GS_R90S_4.jpg

GS_R90S_5.jpg

GS_R90S_6.jpg

GS_R90S_7.jpg

GS_R90S_8.jpg

after 2 hours + the front wheel is coming up like new using autosolve and a little petrol to remove the yellow stuff. I still have to clean the hub and disk carriers

GS_R90S_11.jpg

GS_R90S_12.jpg

what is quite disappointing is that one end of the wheel spindle and nut on the other end is chrome plated and the chrome has started to peel off.
All the alloy stuff is fine.

GS_R90S_9.jpg

GS_R90S_10.jpg

We have now house down-sized in our old age – hardly any space – so I’m getting down to one Bike, the R90S, which I shall keep and maybe ride in the summer.

The paint has peeled off the mirror stems and some of the script on the switches has faded - oh and the R90S badge on the rear mudguard has fallen off - glue has given up the ghost!

What are you guys using to clean the Alloy casing? – I usually mess around with petrol and alloy wheel cleaner testing small areas first.

A shrewd buy that - lovely.

Treat yourself to an Ultrasonic cleaning bath/fluid for those carbs - it will soon pay for itself. Maybe some rebuild kits too; see how it goes.

Various options for the casings if you want to take them back to original as new condition. However most media will require you to strip back to the bare cases, which would seem inappropriate in this case given the originality of the bike. OK, degrease them with something like Jizer, but take great care with alloy wheel cleaner - horrible stuff; it can leave streaks & stains if it is allowed to dry.

A shrewd buy that - lovely.

Treat yourself to an Ultrasonic cleaning bath/fluid for those carbs - it will soon pay for itself. Maybe some rebuild kits too; see how it goes.

Various options for the casings if you want to take them back to original as new condition. However most media will require you to strip back to the bare cases, which would seem inappropriate in this case given the originality of the bike. OK, degrease them with something like Jizer, but take great care with alloy wheel cleaner - horrible stuff; it can leave streaks & stains if it is allowed to dry.

Thanks - yep I do take care - generally I scrub them first with soapy water, (good car wash stuff), then loosen the dirt with petrol and the old tooth brush, then wipe and straight back into the bucket of soapy water - then repeat......... a jet spray dose no harm plus an air gun

I hate working on a dirty bike or car - even just to change the oil - before I get into anything mechanical the Bike has to be very clean

Pity about the tyres - they were new but 15 years ago

I've probably get a complete set of spares etc., for the R90S and I dismantled an R90/6 and started to restore it - but that's another story

just finished the disks and disk carriers - don't like the look of the bolts they are just "dirty" and won't clean up - so over night in some de-geaser

Such a lovely thing, it’s a shame that you haven’t been enjoying it Bill, but hopefully you’ll make up for it soon.

A labour of love.

:beerjug:

Wow that's going to be stunning. Must be the lowest mileage 90s in the UK.
Looking forward to seeing end result.

Such a lovely thing, it’s a shame that you haven’t been enjoying it Bill, but hopefully you’ll make up for it soon.

A labour of love.

I had my 1984 R80 in France - probably one of the best Bikes BMW has ever made - sold it before we left

Bad Back restricts a few possibilities -even pushing a GSPD around now almost puts me in traction

I had 12 at one time now I have 2

The R90S and this

again less than 5,000 miles - I just got addicted to airheads - it was mint. I'll have to go and check it out

GS_RS_Msport.jpg

I left it in a friends Barn when we moved to France 10 years ago and have not seen it since

a "proper" MSport with the blue seat and reg

but cleaning the R90S has brought it all back to me - old age ain't that pleasant - my hands now stink of petrol

at least I still have my Brompton, but I'm thinking I need the electric model

That’s gorgeous too Bill.

If I had more space I’d make you an offer

That’s gorgeous too Bill.

If I had more space I’d make you an offer

My son has got his name on it, (the R90S), since he saw one in the BMW Museum in Munich

He also grabbed my 1989 - 911

I had my 1984 R80 in France - probably one of the best Bikes BMW has ever made - sold it before we left

Bad Back restricts a few possibilities -even pushing a GSPD around now almost puts me in traction

The R90S and this

again less than 5,000 miles - I just got addicted to airheads - it was mint. I'll have to go and check it out

GS_RS_Msport.jpg

I left it in a friends Barn when we moved to France 10 years ago and have not seen it since

but cleaning the R90S has brought it all back to me - old age ain't that pleasant - my hands now stink of petrol

Buy yourself a box of disposable gloves, only 3 or 4 quid.

Cellulose thinners and a soft brush works wonders on cleaning staining off alloy parts.

The R90S and this

GS_RS_Msport.jpg

R100RS Motorsport. My favourite BMW. Do you have the white panniers ?
I've owned two motorsports, funnily enough owned them both at the same time.. bloke in Dorset bought one and my neighboiur made me an offer i couldn't refuse on the better one.

R100RS Motorsport. My favourite BMW. Do you have the white panniers ?
I've owned two motorsports, funnily enough owned them both at the same time.. bloke in Dorset bought one and my neighboiur made me an offer i couldn't refuse on the better one.

Hi Neil - I have the period white panniers, but they are the normal ones sprayed white - new seen any in solid white plastic

Its a TJJXXT reg number and I have seen a few T reg with those first three letters - I wonder if most were sold by one dealer

Gearbox won't move out of 4th and neutral if I remember correctly - is it that little spring/clip thing?

I think that it's a Kms speedo, but I have not seen it for 10 years - I'll bring it home once I find more space

Buy yourself a box of disposable gloves, only 3 or 4 quid.

Cellulose thinners and a soft brush works wonders on cleaning staining off alloy parts.

Thanks

Gloves - easier said than done these CV-19 days - some on order from Amazon but the ones I have keep splitting - and my wife's "Marigolds" just don't do it

Cellulose thiner I use that stuff - but I have a few bottles of Essence A from France that is really good stuff - the last time I looked though they didn't sell it anymore

Hi Neil - I have the period white panniers, but they are the normal ones sprayed white - new seen any in solid white plastic

Its a TJJXXT reg number and I have seen a few T reg with those first three letters - I wonder if most were sold by one dealer

Gearbox won't move out of 4th if I remember correctly - is it that little spring thing?

Mine were both S reg. The genuine motorsport panniers were manufactured white, not painted.

Sounds like the £1.50 selector spring has broken.

Just pop down to your local motor factor, or Eurocar Parts or industrial engineering suppliers. These will be better quality than ones designed for 'domestic' duty.

I always double glove. If the outer does split you still keep your hands clean, and taking them off, outer first also means you still keep your hands clean.:thumby:

Example:

https://eshop.wurth.co.uk/Product-c...=CS008&RecoId=categorytopseller@categorypageA

Mine were both S reg. The genuine motorsport panniers were manufactured white, not painted.

Sounds like the £1.50 selector spring has broken.

Yep my motorsport panniers were White , through and through.

Back
Top Bottom