R1100GS TPS just checked and showing .800 with multimeter? Bike runs perfect?

trinituner

Reaction score
Morning everyone, It has been a fair while since I was on here last and as normal I have a question about something I know very little about.

Anyway one of the R1100GS I own that has been dependable beyond belief has just shown me that the right hand throttle cable needs replacing as it is fraying a small amount near the adjuster, the bike has 54k miles so nothing out of the order at that mileage.

I started to toy with the idea of also using a Dan Cata kit to rebuild the throttle body whilst I am at it, now having read a fair few post on many many wonderful forums I saw a PDF file that included a rundown of checking the TPS and that it should be showing .370-400 with a multimeter. Great I though it was finally a excuse to learn about electric as TBH I know sweet FA as I have never had a electric fault on any bike the last 20 years.

So following the guide I push a pin into the red and white wire base whilst it is connected to the TPS and then set the Clarke CDM45 multimeter (First time ever using one) to (V-...) .2, the reading back was 860?. It states in the guide that you should not be over 400 so using said guide I adjusted the TPS box until I had it at 386, the issue was the bike will not start unless the fast idle lever is fully on or the throttle is open.

The bike has run perfect with no surging or other issues prior but it seems the TPS has been set to a very high value???. setting back to 860 bike starts and runs perfect.

Any ideas or would the best bet be to fit new cables then rebuild Throttle bodies and start the whole setup from scratch and hope that everything works as it should, kinda worried to tamper with a setup that has been working so well for years. Naive on my part possibly but I had no reason to look at the TPS prior and the throttle bodies have only ever needed to be synced a handful of times and that was without issue.

Bike has a Remus exhaust, no pot or O2 sensor and a pink cat code jumper (From memory), I get about 220 miles from a tank of fuel until the light is on for ref.

Like your good self, I too also know feck all about electronics, and again Like yourself I to messed with the TPS, following detailed instructions :blast if I was you, I would set it back to the original setting. :beerjug:

Like your good self, I too also know feck all about electronics, and again Like yourself I to messed with the TPS, following detailed instructions :blast if I was you, I would set it back to the original setting. :beerjug:

I reset it back to what it was and the bike is back running fine, I think the issue longer term is that I would like to get the throttle bodies rebuilt but that little voice in my head says you will be in a world of pain trying to get it running as good as it is now, furthermore I will be possibly selling it in the coming months after what must be 8 years of ownership and I really like to sell things that are well sorted.

Currently the TPS seems to be well out of spec ref setup yet it does not seem to be causing any known issues?. Idle is at about 1200 RPM and sounds good, throttle response is great all through the rev range and revs drop fine when off throttle. Throttle bodies at idle are synced spot on.

I have done every bit of precautionay work one can think of on this bike from Clutch to rear drive etc etc etc as this was going to be the year of my big trip but obviously Covid changed all that. I will be back in the UK soon and sadly that means that due to the ULEZ the bike will basically just be to costly to run daily or at least it will from Oct 2021 when it gets extended.

Thanks anyway..

Back
Top Bottom