F800 gs

Elfboy

Reaction score
My F800 gs has not been ridden since December. Took it out today and only just got home because she kept stalling. All I can think is petrol . Maybe 9 months old petrol in the tank. The bike ran fine and is well maintained. Any ideas what the problem could be. Anybodies help would be highly appreciated.

If its getting on a bit the early ones used to suffer from the heat ( its hot today) when they had a emptyish tank. Some shite about the quality of the fuel pumps as I recall.
Tip some new stuff and get the higher grade fuel = see if that cures it. I also beleive a corrola fuel pump had the same pump but is 1/6 of the BM price
HTHY :D

You are posting in the wrong section. Tim Cullis, the mod for the 650/700/800 twins section, has drawn together all the common problems at the head of the section, as a sticky. Have you given this a read through?

If this fails to deliver, then could you give us a bit more detail.

Any warning lights/messages on the dash? Is this occurring at random, or only as you decelerate? Clutch pull in/out?

Will it start in gear, with the clutch pulled in? At a standstill, running in gear clutch in, does extending the side-stand cut the motor promptly?

Year/mileage/service history/warranty work info would be a help.

My F800 gs has not been ridden since December. Took it out today and only just got home because she kept stalling. All I can think is petrol . Maybe 9 months old petrol in the tank. The bike ran fine and is well maintained. Any ideas what the problem could be. Anybodies help would be highly appreciated.

Im going to vote for gassing up in the tank. When it stalls , stop open the tank filler, let it equalise, then try again.

If its getting on a bit the early ones used to suffer from the heat ( its hot today) when they had a emptyish tank. Some shite about the quality of the fuel pumps as I recall.
Tip some new stuff and get the higher grade fuel = see if that cures it. I also beleive a corrola fuel pump had the same pump but is 1/6 of the BM price
HTHY :D

What he said. Well documented issues with the early 800’s as a result of failing fuel pumps and in some cases fuel pump controllers. Do a search. Might be worth refilling the tank with decent fuel first though and giving it a run before even thinking of spending money. Plus there are other potential causes like fuel breather blockages, plugs, coil sticks, sensors, all difficult to diagnose.

Having said all that having had similar issues with a 2009 800gs if the problem happens again, particularly in warm weather, my money would be on the fuel pump. In my case the dealers couldn’t identify the fault and I did it by trial and error. Good luck.

Hi Mick.. Thanks for the info. It's a 2009 model. I had it a couple of years. Anyway. I sold it to a really nice guy and when he was riding it home it started playing up.I have never had a problem with the bike.. Sods law. I told him i'd pay for a new pump . I hear the Quantum pump is good. I've seen them brand new on ebay for £65.00 .

Wow... Thanks for all the info guys. I'll pas it on to the new owner.

Feeling a bit shit that this happened to him on his way home.

Back
Top Bottom