r1100rt electric screen,no worky

fizzer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
it did work now stopped half way up,with ignition on and pressing the green button downwards i can hear a very light click like a relay clicking under the clocks but nothing pressing the up button ,
any ideas , i am guessing its the motor does anyone know any different .
cheers guys

it did work now stopped half way up,with ignition on and pressing the green button downwards i can hear a very light click like a relay clicking under the clocks but nothing pressing the up button ,
cheers guys

Are you sure the motor is not turning? I had one stripped the nylon gear in the reduction box and it ended up like this. I stripped the gearbox and turned the gear 180 degrees to repair it, since it only moves half a turn.

cheers guys

From what I can remember, it’s likely to be a relay. This might help, it’s for the r1150rt, but I think they are similar.

Attachments

• 4ED03520-82BB-4CBC-970B-BBF29917D5F5.jpg
    4ED03520-82BB-4CBC-970B-BBF29917D5F5.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 136
Are you sure the motor is not turning? I had one stripped the nylon gear in the reduction box and it ended up like this. I stripped the gearbox and turned the gear 180 degrees to repair it, since it only moves half a turn.

no mate the motor is not rotating,its just a click like a relay click from under the clocks

From what I can remember, it’s likely to be a relay. This might help, it’s for the r1150rt, but I think they are similar.

ok thanks do you know where the relay is,is under the seat in the fuse box or under the clocks

Under the screen trim. The two relays are mounted next to one another. The motor assemble is also under there.

The cables that move the screen mechanism can seize.

ok thanks got it to bits and i can see the two small grey relays i dont know how to test them but i have taken the motor off with the linkage and its put together via a couple of hexagonal rods ,so no cables ,i am thinking that was the k, lt,anyway the rods are solid so i am guessing the linkage has seized up.

This is the R1100RT screen circuit lifted from the Haynes manual.

I’m not sure it will help much if electrics is not your thing, but who knows. At least it gives you the basics, fuses, switches, relays and the motor. At least once you have the mechanical linkage freed up and lubed, if it still doesn’t work, you should be able to isolate it down to a component.

12v directly across the motor and it should run. It’s a bi-directional motor, so depending on the polarity will depend on it’s direction of rotation.

Attachments

• BA1391CB-47BF-4B6A-A581-B15CBA67E6A8.jpg
    BA1391CB-47BF-4B6A-A581-B15CBA67E6A8.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 85
ok thanks got it to bits and i can see the two small grey relays i dont know how to test them but i have taken the motor off with the linkage and its put together via a couple of hexagonal rods ,so no cables ,i am thinking that was the k, lt,anyway the rods are solid so i am guessing the linkage has seized up.

Rods, cables, both do the same in the great scheme of things concerning BMW screen operation... and both suffer the same problem.

Rods, cables, both do the same in the great scheme of things concerning BMW screen operation... and both suffer the same problem.

you of course correct mate what ever its made of it does the same thing

Back
Top Bottom