Fuel Leak Recall

colin72blue

Reaction score
Noticed a bit of a fuel smell after the last ride. Long story short I traced it back to the the fuel pump connector. This is apparently a common problem across lots of models such as the GS and was covered under a safety recall. Mine was recalled and had the metal collar fitted about 6 years ago. This was done by the previous owner so don't know if it was actually leaking or just the procedure

So my query is whether this would still be covered by BMW under the recall? My understanding is there are only 2 BMW fixes i.e. the metal ring or a complete replacement of the pump assembly (approx £380 to buy). I rang a dealer yesterday who suggested it would no longer be covered as the recall was done but the bike has only covered about 200 miles since then!

Am loathed to spend the time and money getting the bike transported to and from the dealers and then potentially having to pay them the full cost of the assembly and labour. Is there a time limit on recalls?

I have a short video but basically when i switch the ignition on there is a fine spray of fuel from below the metal ring

Attachments

• 908CE5E9-D80B-49CF-A461-A6F9D316DF74.jpeg
    908CE5E9-D80B-49CF-A461-A6F9D316DF74.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 188
Just watched the clip again and it actually spraying out the top of the ring which you can just about see in this screenshot

Attachments

• 9F089BAC-10AE-47D5-8C12-65E71B19BC15.jpg
    9F089BAC-10AE-47D5-8C12-65E71B19BC15.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 178
you can ask for the dealer to take it up with BMW UK, as a special case... but unless you have a A1 relationship with the dealer, you might be wasting your time...!

best of luck... with the pleasure of owning a classic bike...!

Only had the bike for less than a year so no relationship with the local dealer unfortunately

well I think your done, best to just book it in and pay the money...

as you will soon notice anything to do with an HP model is serious bread... all the time...!

Was kind of thinking that but its a major pain in the rear, plus the time and cost, to shippin it there and back so easier just to order the complete pump assembly and fit myself unless i need a special tool? The transport costs alone are likely to be £200-300 to the dealer.

Any replacement parts, are covered by a 2 year warranty

call the dealer, give him the vin, ask what date it was done - and the mileage

explain new history & mileage and tell then warranty replacement has failed

(or is it just the o ring on the bottom of the connector??)

Any replacement parts, are covered by a 2 year warranty

call the dealer, give him the vin, ask what date it was done - and the mileage

explain new history & mileage and tell then warranty replacement has failed

(or is it just the o ring on the bottom of the connector??)

As above the safety recall work was done 6years ago where i think the plastic collar was changed out for the metal one

The transport costs alone are likely to be £200-300 to the dealer.

where's the dealer..? If you need it moving as long as it's not the other side of the moon, one of our boys can bring a van out with a ramp and move it... (for some private beer tokens)

Thanks very much for the offer. Seems its covered under the breakdown policy so they will be taking it there tomorrow ��

Definitely getting my moneys worth from them this year ��

atlasst it's being sorted... :)

welcome to club expensive....

Good stuff costs money.

nothing more good than an HP2... it was eye watering money everytime it went to the dealers.... but it was good... proper good...! and well worth the dosh...! :)

So the bike went to the dealers over the weekend and just got a call from them today. They took it apart and saw the problem and took it upon themselves to refer it to BMW as a special case on my behalf (and on the basis it had only done 120 miles since the recall repair 6 years ago).

Amazingly BMW very quickly agreed to pick up the entire tab! Just need to wait for the pump to arrive from Germany and then i can collect.

Overall extremely chuffed with the service from the dealer and BMW.

Back
Top Bottom