Glodwing-finally got it.

You should be talking to your dealer chris

Appreciate that. And I am doing. Or trying. The guy 'dropped' my call yesterday and I rang back twice - he didn't pick up either time and worse, having known I rang he didn't bother to call me back. Unimpressed TBO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what web site is it on mate

If it's the Goldwing forum I've been on, it talks about exhaust 'harmonics' being an issue. No fix though.

Most interesting point was low pitch noises getting in through ear plugs and not having a route out, so the theory being they set up a reverb inside you ear. Who knows!

Interesting...didn’t know that. And Cortina how would you summarise the drift of that debate?

Attached should link you to site , it's in the 2018+ sub section. Better to have a look yourself
Try https://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/

I think it's open access to look from memory

cheers
Alan
Look for Two Bro. exhaust muffler subject (I know - it's obvious , isn't it !!)

If it's the Goldwing forum I've been on, it talks about exhaust 'harmonics' being an issue. No fix though.

Most interesting point was low pitch noises getting in through ear plugs and not having a route out, so the theory being they set up a reverb inside you ear. Who knows!

Surely standard earplugs cut c.35 dB at best - they don't delete the noise they reduce the volume. Only the expensive smart noise cancelling jobs improve on this.

This exhaust harmonics thing seems a tad fanciful to me. Surely, unless you are in a tunnel or gallery, exhaust is a noise left far behind for others to endure. This leaves the rider to hear road noise, wind turbulence & engine noise. Unless a tyre is cupped, most touring tyres are relatively quiet. M/way road noise can be deafening - just drive a cabrio with the hood down. Turbulence is all about the riders head position, helmet qualities, screen, mirrors & general aerodynamics, particularly up-draughts that often get forgotten. Engine & transmission noise - obviously something urgent for the dealer, given how quiet the GW motor should be. The only other issue I can think of is the riders own health & hearing where issues such as tinnitus & wax can create problems.

It's a strange one for sure.

Thanks for that....that's the one.

To be fair, Wheels have done well today. I spoke with a guy there who was quite knowledgeable about Wings, so it'll go there for inspection. Honda have a file open too. I strongly suspect that it'll 'not be the bike Sir' but let's see.

Surely standard earplugs cut c.35 dB at best - they don't delete the noise they reduce the volume. Only the expensive smart noise cancelling jobs improve on this.

This exhaust harmonics thing seems a tad fanciful to me. Surely, unless you are in a tunnel or gallery, exhaust is a noise left far behind for others to endure. This leaves the rider to hear road noise, wind turbulence & engine noise.

Sounds waves aren't like light waves.

And sound travels at 767.269mph. Even a GOLDWING can't outrun that

Sounds waves aren't like light waves.

And sound travels at 767.269mph. Even a GOLDWING can't outrun that

It's a long time since I was in the physics lab, but I don't think that's quite how it works; otherwise riding a bike with a say 95dB pipe (measured stationary at 3k rpm) would be completely deafening.

Anyway, good luck with the analysis.

It's a long time since I was in the physics lab, but I don't think that's quite how it works; otherwise riding a bike with a say 95dB pipe (measured stationary at 3k rpm) would be completely deafening.

Anyway, good luck with the analysis.

Thanks. Really hope it's sortable. Seems the Wing isn't in a pre-first service tuning state (i'e retarded in some way) that gets programmed out at service. KTM change the software at first service but as far as I know that's just the red line on the dash coming on earlier for the run-in period.

I might get Geoff at Hilltop to cast an eye over it, check the fueling/timing. Be interesting to see if it's miles out. I know the effect of two and four cylinder bikes being out of whack because of emissions issues and if you add two more cylinders, just because its smoother, doesn't mean its running better.

Instant update.

Just had these turn up from Amazon. Recommended by HGS on here. Been out to the bike and tested. Perfect! You can hear but the booming almost completely gone.

After 15 mins my ears were glad to get them out, so I'll get a ride in and try properly.

Clever design. They are really flexible along the length. The impression nearest your eardrum has got holes in so even more flexible.

IMG_5588.jpg
IMG_5589.jpg
IMG_5590.jpg

Things improving. The ear plugs above were fantastic today. Easily good enough. I didn't spend the morning thinking about the noise the exhaust was making.

Not the most comfortable though, not like custom moulded ones. I've ordered another pair from Amazon and my plan is to remove the current filters from the custom plugs and hopefully fit the Seener filters in them instead. Bit risky but worth the risk I think. Hoping the success of these new plugs is just down to the filter and not the fit.

First ride with my wife today. She loved it. I loved having her with me too. Perfect for two up riding as you can imagine. A good day for bike and owner.

17952ce632bb4d236dd67acd988f8634.jpg

b92757c888bcf1ea6a7e0e8726c06486.jpg

Things improving. The ear plugs above were fantastic today. Easily good enough. I didn't spend the morning thinking about the noise the exhaust was making.

Not the most comfortable though, not like custom moulded ones. I've ordered another pair from Amazon and my plan is to remove the current filters from the custom plugs and hopefully fit the Seener filters in them instead. Bit risky but worth the risk I think. Hoping the success of these new plugs is just down to the filter and not the fit.

First ride with my wife today. She loved it. I loved having her with me too. Perfect for two up riding as you can imagine. A good day for bike and owner.

17952ce632bb4d236dd67acd988f8634.jpg

b92757c888bcf1ea6a7e0e8726c06486.jpg

As you do more riding together it'll just keep getting better IMHO. Mind you, it could be said that I'm biased.

Glad to hear you’ve found a solution. :thumb

Hope so. Thanks.

Funny old world. Started off wishing I'd done a decent test ride (always have done) but would've probability had the noise issue during that and it would've put me off. Instead I've kind of been forced to hunt for some sort of solution or I lose £ big time. Seem to have found that I think thanks to the forum.

When you get a V4 Multi you'll have to do a show'n'tell.

Hope so. Thanks.

Funny old world. Started off wishing I'd done a decent test ride (always have done) but would've probability had the noise issue during that and it would've put me off. Instead I've kind of been forced to hunt for some sort of solution or I lose £ big time. Seem to have found that I think thanks to the forum.

When you get a V4 Multi you'll have to do a show'n'tell.

The trouble with any test ride, is it's never long enough. I've bought bikes before, then it's taken a while to really gel with it.

I won't be getting a V4 any time soon, as I don't like the way they've gone with it. Maybe when/ if they launch a Pikes Peak version I'd be interested, but they've turned it into a GS with a chain. Very disappointing tbh.

Back
Top Bottom