Glodwing-finally got it.

In the same way that the spelling of Hograost has become a part of GSer lore, I hope that glodwing sticks too - love it.

Went to have a look in Thunderoad Bridgend, looks lovely so might have a demo , how to get it in the shed though��

Well, I've done over a 1000 miles in the last 9 days and I love it. It took a bit of getting used to but it rides as well as any other bike. I think it took a while to reset my mind and expectations. My longest day so far is about 350 miles and its still comfy after that. None of the poor seat problems associated with the GS. Since the 600 service I've been using all the modes and they do seem to make a difference to the way the bike feels and re-acts. I would say the suspension is as good as the latest ESA on the GS. Its not got the ease and accuracy of placement of the GS but hey, its 370kg empty, but its not a barge either. It rained heavily today so I tried the heated seat and grips. Both where very good. As i've got used to it the DCT box seems to get even better, initially i wasn't getting good down shifts but that was in economy mode, in tour mode changes down are as good as up shifts
All in all a cracking bike. There are niggles though. The cruise control is a right palaver compared to the BMW version, and I do think the luggage is small.
Other than that its all good.:okay

I see Corbin do some replacement pannier & trunk/TB lids, well colour matched, that add an extra 20 litres of luggage space - they don't come cheap though.

A rear rack sounds like a more cost effective solution TBH, or just pack light.

Any "real world ownership" updates ... now that you are a month into it . (I am thinking of pulling the switch on purchase of an ex demo machine ??) ??

Any "real world ownership" updates ... now that you are a month into it . (I am thinking of pulling the switch on purchase of an ex demo machine ??) ??

As am I :)

Yup, and its all good. I've done about 1700 miles now and enjoyed them all. I'm finding that at normal speeds, 2 up I'm getting about low fifties mpg averaging 225 miles between fill ups. Its very comfy, my longest day has been aprox 350 miles and no aches at all unlike the GS. I find it easier to push around than a GS as its lower - and yes, I do know there is a reverse and slow forward gear thing. Speaking od gears, the DCT is good BUT, a bit clunky coming down the box in Econ mode, so I manually change down sometimes. Going up the box is seamless and silky smooth. During slow speed riding its more stable even than the GS and I find I keep my feet on the pegs even at slower speeds. I like the way the sat nav is built in rather than added on later.
It has changed the way I ride. Im more likely to go out for longer rides and also ride a little slower.... No that's wrong, Perhaps a better way of saying it is I am a little more relaxed when riding.
If I had to find negatives I would say it needs more room in the to-box.
Other than that its all good. I'll find out more in the next few weeks as we are going to Germany, or Scotland --- SWMBO hasn't made her mind up yet.

Gadget and Cortina. What models are you looking at ?

DCT Tour for me, as previously owned other DCT models, so the auto is a no brainer for me

Yup, and its all good. I've done about 1700 miles now and enjoyed them all. I'm finding that at normal speeds, 2 up I'm getting about low fifties mpg averaging 225 miles between fill ups. Its very comfy, my longest day has been aprox 350 miles and no aches at all unlike the GS. I find it easier to push around than a GS as its lower - and yes, I do know there is a reverse and slow forward gear thing. Speaking od gears, the DCT is good BUT, a bit clunky coming down the box in Econ mode, so I manually change down sometimes. Going up the box is seamless and silky smooth. During slow speed riding its more stable even than the GS and I find I keep my feet on the pegs even at slower speeds. I like the way the sat nav is built in rather than added on later.
It has changed the way I ride. Im more likely to go out for longer rides and also ride a little slower.... No that's wrong, Perhaps a better way of saying it is I am a little more relaxed when riding.
If I had to find negatives I would say it needs more room in the to-box.
Other than that its all good. I'll find out more in the next few weeks as we are going to Germany, or Scotland --- SWMBO hasn't made her mind up yet.

Gadget and Cortina. What models are you looking at ?

Me - DCT Tour , ex demos popping up all over at about £25 to £26K - more red / blacks than Blues.
have you tried a recalibration of the DCT yet ? (If you don't know what I'm talking about - then probably not . Links and tuition available on GL1800 USA owners forum site) the USA boys swear by it ..........

Me - DCT Tour , ex demos popping up all over at about £25 to £26K - more red / blacks than Blues.
have you tried a recalibration of the DCT yet ? (If you don't know what I'm talking about - then probably not . Links and tuition available on GL1800 USA owners forum site) the USA boys swear by it ..........

No, not re calibrated yet. Doesn't need it the box is sweet as a nut.

No, not re calibrated yet. Doesn't need it the box is sweet as a nut.

Sorry - I thought you said it was was clunky coming down the box in econ mode ...... must have dreamed that ........................

Sorry - I thought you said it was was clunky coming down the box in econ mode ...... must have dreamed that ........................

Ok. Maybe I said it wrong.
As the up shifts are silky smooth and coming down the box you occasionally feel the changing gears I consider it is noticeably better going up.

new bike incoming

Well mines at the dealers being PDI and extras fitting as soon as my leg is stronger and after coating it with DC Beasly's ceramic matte coating i hope to be riding back end of next month . Am i sure ive done the right thing? who knows after last 12 years on GS GSA GS 1250 i don't know I don't take pillion so its a DCT bagger for me.Just need to find some size 13 wide fit waterproof cruiser boots any ideas.

Attachments

• CF0776AB-3697-4944-BE34-C92FDBCD6ADB_1_201_a.jpg
    CF0776AB-3697-4944-BE34-C92FDBCD6ADB_1_201_a.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 529
  • 81A76744-A48E-4496-89D6-CF9254BE7E78.jpeg
    81A76744-A48E-4496-89D6-CF9254BE7E78.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 522
  • 90A4156A-0BD7-4632-8293-09DD58D878A9.jpeg
    90A4156A-0BD7-4632-8293-09DD58D878A9.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 510
  • 4C8D62A4-681F-47E9-9EDC-6D09A094DE85.jpeg
    4C8D62A4-681F-47E9-9EDC-6D09A094DE85.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 514
  • 05760B54-8D0C-43D9-83E1-20E56A2AB1C0.jpeg
    05760B54-8D0C-43D9-83E1-20E56A2AB1C0.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 514
Hi Big Derek: glad to hear your leg is recovering but a bit extreme to be covering it with DC Beasley matte coating...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Big Derek: glad to hear your leg is recovering but a bit extreme to be covering it with DC Beasley matte coating...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL yea thats how it sounds my dyslexic again maybe a coating on my wound would have saved me having skin graft Feck me there painful...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-15 at 10.18.16.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-09-15 at 10.18.16.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 494
Hi Derek
After a good number of years on what is virtually the same bike it’s time you had a change to refresh your riding views and skills.

Glad to hear you are on the mend Derek. Nothing like a new bike to give recovery some focus too. I'm thinking about a GL18 Tour DCT for next season myself.

BTW, I searched for knee high leather cruiser boots, but I don't think stilettos would suit you.

Glad to hear you are on the mend Derek. Nothing like a new bike to give recovery some focus too. I'm thinking about a GL18 Tour DCT for next season myself.

BTW, I searched for knee high leather cruiser boots, but I don't think stilettos would suit you.

Squibb. Do it. It’s a good bike.

Hmm ............... wise ??.....................

Deposit paid on a Blue DCT Tour (2019 registered - with double digits of miles covered ........................... that would be less than 100 !!!)

Fly to Londinium on Sat morning , sit on buses and trains , and ride home via Scotland !!

Back
Top Bottom