Glodwing-finally got it.

Given it's an auto , can you not put the good leg down in favour of the bad one?

Might give the bad one mode time to strengthen up?

Yip - stop , go back to in late March / April. Get yourself "fitter" between now and then .................... start again. Value will be the same then as now (demand etc etc).
I am just home after my "test ride" of 300 miles - great .................... (took to it like Duck to Water !)

VERY different , but great

hang on in there

Cheers
Alan

PS - lots of routes programmed into Nav , and followed - not very easy , again .............. just different (MUCH better than on a 2009 model)

Cortina: good luck this time around...3rd time lucky and all that. And please let us know how it works out as I for one would love a Goldwing (albeit a bagger for me)

Sorry - forgot to report in.
Home yesterday , have now done only about 400 miles but all is good. It's not really comparable to an RT / GS - just a different animal. My RT would eat it in performance and fuel economy (and most other things too) but that's not really the point. It's built for cruising / touring - big miles in a day , in comfort. It's very smooth and considering I had never driven a DCT (I know - bad boy for not taking a test drive on a very expensive bike !!) - it was / is dead easy to ride and get used to. Brakes not as good as the RT , but then it is a big lump (weight) .
It will get parked up for winter - tried a wing once in the snow , and I don't recomend it (linked brakes down hill were a disaster on snow ...............).
Will know more when 10,000 miles covered and things have loosened up - 51mpg is depressing after 60 + as an average !

cheers
Alan

Update on purchase :
Crossed 2000 miles yesterday - celebrated with an uncheduled oil change (when there are 200,000 miles on the bike - someone may thank me ??). Easy job , 3 (THREE) drain plugs , 2 filters and an hour of work (could be done much faster - but first time - care with o ring and wee spring etc etc.)
Very happy so far , very relaxing to ride - DCT works better than expected - touring mode 98% of time , possibly 99% - with dabs of downshift to speed up the odd overtaking manouvre ,,, some times 2 , once 3 dabs !!. 51ish mpg has become norm , so crap compated to RT - but it is what it is. Engine is lovely - as expected and as per previous 2001 to 2017 models - nice noise , nice torque. Few wee jobs to do over winter - daughter to design and make a tank bag (which works with air bag etc) - fender extender , 2020 pillion grab handles ($219 in USA vs £350 here !!) , and a top box rack. Then we are ready for some big tours .....

Just a question. Can the Touring version top box not be removed to make a bagger? Best of both worlds then. I'd be nuts to buy a bagger with that level of comfort on offer for my girl but it's a right chunk to ride around with otherwise. Are there any other differences? I saw a Youtube clip that said there's electronic damping on the Tour and not on the bagger, which would be really strange except the touring version is so much more expensive to buy....sure the top box isn't that expensive :blast

Just a question. Can the Touring version top box not be removed to make a bagger? Best of both worlds then. I'd be nuts to buy a bagger with that level of comfort on offer for my girl but it's a right chunk to ride around with otherwise. Are there any other differences? I saw a Youtube clip that said there's electronic damping on the Tour and not on the bagger, which would be really strange except the touring version is so much more expensive to buy....sure the top box isn't that expensive :blast

Its not just a top box that's missing. Also IIRC there's no leccy suspension, no heated seats, no airbag, and possibly more stuff missing. However, to answer your question yes the box can be removed. In fact there is an American company which makes a quick release kit for just that.

Update on purchase :
Crossed 2000 miles yesterday - celebrated with an uncheduled oil change (when there are 200,000 miles on the bike - someone may thank me ??). Easy job , 3 (THREE) drain plugs , 2 filters and an hour of work (could be done much faster - but first time - care with o ring and wee spring etc etc.)
Very happy so far , very relaxing to ride - DCT works better than expected - touring mode 98% of time , possibly 99% - with dabs of downshift to speed up the odd overtaking manouvre ,,, some times 2 , once 3 dabs !!. 51ish mpg has become norm , so crap compated to RT - but it is what it is. Engine is lovely - as expected and as per previous 2001 to 2017 models - nice noise , nice torque. Few wee jobs to do over winter - daughter to design and make a tank bag (which works with air bag etc) - fender extender , 2020 pillion grab handles ($219 in USA vs £350 here !!) , and a top box rack. Then we are ready for some big tours .....

I'm also considering a rack, but not at Honda prices. I've also seen some properly fitting pannier bags (hopnel 920). It's very strange though that it's more difficult to find a supplier of accessories in the UK. Most seem to be US based or European.

I'm also considering a rack, but not at Honda prices. I've also seen some properly fitting pannier bags (hopnel 920). It's very strange though that it's more difficult to find a supplier of accessories in the UK. Most seem to be US based or European.

Simple - volume sold.

Simple - volume sold.

Agreed, but it doesn't make it simple to buy farkles. I'm looking at racks, bags and other stuff. In the states its not a bad price but by the time its here its quite expensive.

I've seen pictures of a GW Tour over in the US, with what looked to me like an HD tourpack chrome rack fitted. Those are c.£200.

I wouldn't buy pannier bags. You can see multiple dry bags (waterproof and paper thin) are the way to go. Best to pack out those tiny cases as best you can and in my experience pannier bags take up too much space. If you buy different colour dry bags you get to find your stuff in seconds - hi-vis yellow works well for underpants, just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen pictures of a GW Tour over in the US, with what looked to me like an HD tourpack chrome rack fitted. Those are c.£200.

Yeah, lots of racks out there, Looked at some that where just cheap tat. The front runner at the moment is a show chrome one.

I swallowed hard :101, and went for the OEM options...

Easy Trunk Lights Kit (Trunk) - £920.00
Honda standard fitting time: 4.5 hours at £50 p/h - £225.00
Pack containing all accessories to install the Trunk inner lamp and the LED stop light when Trunk is installed on the Gold Wing.
08E86-MKC-A00 - Trunk Sub Harness
08L70-MKC-C00 - Chrome Trunk Rack
08U74-MKC-A00 - Trunk Inner Lamp Kit
08U76-MKC-A00 - LED H/M Stop Light Kit

Easy Front LED Fog Light Kit - £520.00
Honda standard fitting time: 4.5 hours at £50 p/h - £100.00
Pack Contains:
08V70-MKC-A00 - Front LED Fog Light Attachment Kit
08V71-MKC-A00 - Front LED Fog Light Kit

Trunk Inner Bag - £135.00:eek:
Convenient abrasion-resistant ballistic nylon trunk liner makes packing easier and protects your belongings when traveling. Features reinforced carry handles, shoulder strap, easy-access outer zip for in-trunk use, and Gold Wing logo zipper pulls.

Saddlebag Inner Bag x2 - £140.00 (£70.00 each):eek:
Convenient abrasion-resistant ballistic nylon saddlebag liner makes packing easier and helps protect your belongings when traveling. Features reinforced carry handles and Gold Wing logo zipper pulls for ease of use. (1 Part Number = 1 Bag).

Grand total: £2,040.00 (I did haggle a bit off this)

Really pleased with the rear rack/brake light and fog lights. The rear rack/brake really suits the bike. Anything else I think I would be disappointed with. There are a lot of youtube videos out there with regard to fitting the rack, not altogether straightforward.

However, as mentioned, the inner bags take up quite a bit of room. I think there may be better inner bag solutions out there, as an alternative to the genuine Honda offering. Will try to upload a video of the rear rack.:thumb2

Pack containing all accessories to install the Trunk inner lamp and the LED stop light when Trunk is installed on the Gold Wing.

Pack Contains:

Convenient abrasion-resistant ballistic nylon trunk liner makes packing easier and protects your belongings when traveling. Features reinforced carry handles, shoulder strap, easy-access outer zip for in-trunk use, and Gold Wing logo zipper pulls.

Convenient abrasion-resistant ballistic nylon saddlebag liner makes packing easier and helps protect your belongings when traveling. Features reinforced carry handles and Gold Wing logo zipper pulls for ease of use. (1 Part Number = 1 Bag).

Really pleased with the rear rack/brake light and fog lights. The rear rack/brake really suits the bike. Anything else I think I would be disappointed with. There are a lot of youtube videos out there with regard to fitting the rack, not altogether straightforward.

However, as mentioned, the inner bags take up quite a bit of room. I think there may be better inner bag solutions out there, as an alternative to the genuine Honda offering. Will try to upload a video of the rear rack.:thumb2

Where’s the pics ?

Pack Contains:

You Forgot the $25 pin to hold the handlebar in place.....Eeek!!

https://youtu.be/OjpMH1rdMHk

FIXED

relax when you can't steer your bike, Honda service plan, warranty, legendary build quality, will put you back together again

Sure they'll sort matters promptly. Just you can't help but think back to the GS shock separation issues of a few years ago.

Ok.

Ok.

I submit. I’m going to get one. But at this time of year I would need an awesome deal. £31k is too much for any motorcycle and they seem to be worth £25k as soon as they leave the showroom. Not keen on shiny black. The blue is ok-ish and every Honda I know it ‘that’ red. The Red/black combo is ok. But like the look of this one as not a big fan of chrome city:

Attachments

• 8C7D6CE8-B313-441A-8BE7-C33295ECC9F3.jpg
    8C7D6CE8-B313-441A-8BE7-C33295ECC9F3.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 364

Back
Top Bottom