Glodwing-finally got it.

stever1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, I finally got my new GL1800 today and I already love it. Done 120 miles today and i'm starting to get used to it now. Once you get used to the DCT gearbox its just like a big scooter. Very comfortable seat and suspension. OK on fuel, but its still tight so I'll not be to bothered till its done a couple of thousand miles.
I wasn't sure i'd picked the best colour until I saw it in daylight, it looks fantastic. My last bike was a 1250 GS so its like comparing chalk and cheese. but its lower so i get feet on the floor easier. I don't feel the extra weight of the pillion as much on the wing as I did on the GS. If I did have to find fault with it the only thing i could find is the down shifts can be a bit rough, but this can be sorted by doing sustained manual shifts.

Got any pics of your Glodwing ?
Assume you went for the red ? :)
DCT is the future !

No , I went for the red and black rather than plain red. Agree about the DCT. Oh, and i went for the extra lights too.

Attachments

• IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,083
  • IMG_1363.jpg
    IMG_1363.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,088
No , I went for the red and black rather than plain red. Agree about the DCT. Oh, and i went for the extra lights too.

Oooh I like that

Very very nice :thumb2

Glad you have got it now...enjoy it!

I am trying to test ride a bagger and would be interested in whether you considered one or if not, your thinking in getting the Tour (which I know has better storage and suspension adjustability).

Thanks ¡

Is it Welsh?

Glad you have got it now...enjoy it!

I am trying to test ride a bagger and would be interested in whether you considered one or if not, your thinking in getting the Tour (which I know has better storage and suspension adjustability).

Thanks ¡

I didn’t look at a bagger because after testing the tour the girlfriend loved the rear perch on the tour model. It’s not a perfect bike though. Could do with more luggage space and I think al bikes should have a 12v power point.
After saying that. We’re in Scotland it’s now got 340 miles on it and it’s GREAT.

I didn’t look at a bagger because after testing the tour the girlfriend loved the rear perch on the tour model. It’s not a perfect bike though. Could do with more luggage space and I think al bikes should have a 12v power point.
After saying that. We’re in Scotland it’s now got 340 miles on it and it’s GREAT.

Owned a 2006 GL1800 for 12 years plus with a '16 GSA1200 and '18 RT1200 along the way.
They've all gone now and all I have is a '19 Goldwing Tour, manual, in black.
I was not happy with the 'clatter' of the BMW twins and many current owners on this forum appear worried too of those noises.
I did enjoy both the RT and the GSA and would buy again.
My missus was happy with the old 'wing, but is even happier with the comfort of the new.
Was out a couple of days ago for 250 miles or so in North Wales at 54.8mpg, (two up, tour mode) and would only swap this one for a 'GT' version if ever one becomes available.
GT because it's true, the luggage carrying is a little less, but still better than many.
I couldn't filter confidently on the GSA or RT with such wide panniers, but this latest wing proved no problem with the A55 Welsh holiday traffic and closure of the M57 due to fuel spill.
You've made a great choice Stever1 and I know you're gonna enjoy your DCT, nice colour.
Black's a little difficult to keep clean!
My old GL1800 was able to tickover at 1k in top (5th) at 30mph and could still pull away cleanly.
I've noticed this new 24 valver is not quite so torquey in top gear, but then don't forget, that's now 6th!
It still has masses of torque low down and purrs at less than 2.5k rpm at 70mph.
Best 'TWO UP' touring bike money can buy.
Screen is far better than the RT extra large. The missus always had to wear ear plugs when pillion on the RT, but the airflow is so much better on the 'wing, they're mostly not needed.
And yes it's expensive at retail, but hey, there are great deals out there to be had with this model '18 - '20, making it a 'then' competitive price amongst many nowadays.
Just make sure you connect up a passenger 12v connection for the girlfriend so's she can plug in her electric vest (which you know she'll need) and you'll both be happy everafter!
Never saw the point of a 'bagger' - and yes the suspension adjustability is better, but being an XL myself, simply leave it on '2up with baggage' for all rides.
Mostly use 'tour' mode and find 'sport' a little snatchy, or maybe I'm just a little :chickendance.
Brakes are brilliant aren't they, reminiscent of the 'bacon sizzle' of GPZ's of yesteryear, though amplified tenfold.
Just about to have the latest sat nav update with Android Car play added at 1 year service.
Who needs phone mounts?:D
'Glodwing' :rolllaugh I'm loving it!

Owned a 2006 GL1800 for 12 years plus with a '16 GSA1200 and '18 RT1200 along the way.
They've all gone now and all I have is a '19 Goldwing Tour, manual, in black.
I was not happy with the 'clatter' of the BMW twins and many current owners on this forum appear worried too of those noises.
I did enjoy both the RT and the GSA and would buy again.
My missus was happy with the old 'wing, but is even happier with the comfort of the new.
Was out a couple of days ago for 250 miles or so in North Wales at 54.8mpg, (two up, tour mode) and would only swap this one for a 'GT' version if ever one becomes available.
GT because it's true, the luggage carrying is a little less, but still better than many.
I couldn't filter confidently on the GSA or RT with such wide panniers, but this latest wing proved no problem with the A55 Welsh holiday traffic and closure of the M57 due to fuel spill.
You've made a great choice Stever1 and I know you're gonna enjoy your DCT, nice colour.
Black's a little difficult to keep clean!
My old GL1800 was able to tickover at 1k in top (5th) at 30mph and could still pull away cleanly.
I've noticed this new 24 valver is not quite so torquey in top gear, but then don't forget, that's now 6th!
It still has masses of torque low down and purrs at less than 2.5k rpm at 70mph.
Best 'TWO UP' touring bike money can buy.
Screen is far better than the RT extra large. The missus always had to wear ear plugs when pillion on the RT, but the airflow is so much better on the 'wing, they're mostly not needed.
And yes it's expensive at retail, but hey, there are great deals out there to be had with this model '18 - '20, making it a 'then' competitive price amongst many nowadays.
Just make sure you connect up a passenger 12v connection for the girlfriend so's she can plug in her electric vest (which you know she'll need) and you'll both be happy everafter!
Never saw the point of a 'bagger' - and yes the suspension adjustability is better, but being an XL myself, simply leave it on '2up with baggage' for all rides.
Mostly use 'tour' mode and find 'sport' a little snatchy, or maybe I'm just a little :chickendance.
Brakes are brilliant aren't they, reminiscent of the 'bacon sizzle' of GPZ's of yesteryear, though amplified tenfold.
Just about to have the latest sat nav update with Android Car play added at 1 year service.
Who needs phone mounts?:D
'Glodwing' :rolllaugh I'm loving it!

Agree with you all the way. Just got back from Scotland and have now done 781 miles and its all good. I averaged mid 50's MPG mainly using Economy or rain mode. Considering its a big lump its easy to handle. I even push it around rather than use the walk mode, I find it easier to get on and off as well as its lower than a GS. I'm getting to grips with the DCT box which is AWESOME........ its the way forward. When it rained I found I wasn't getting much rain on me.
I can't really find any negatives compared to my last GS, but its like comparing apples and pears.
Incidentally septikangel I got a 12v point on it along side an Optimate lead, a fender extenda and fog lights on the front of the engine.

X3Vkt7hnNmwEFKMH_U3JKJy3snH7FP5Y4uLLYfCc3jguktZozsYTD4u85aXwqdRNub_3OMGT7pbMEPKXdm-3-j3B0gYAxs_H-Kq8_7jxLkfkTY8cVOwKhPGbCZP_I1QhDhpZYJ_eI4ZQtoeSK7EanYCJTo7pIlmYZ3MsVNdc3l69fXu8AF03-v26A6vJCr1QT6qIR7dZEdaVE10e0TXreHqVudxXWuj6LiiFDzhbE8gN3t5EhA2EMYBs7kkEgCicMrI96S-PFxpfesny1h28jsf-_C0GOb17iinBBbJf2VFYVcsYbmso48PEN0EiWsTy_CDaWx8e3sndZP6is6l_DaeT8u6jsCybmV5ittdO_nkjcmCTB_3T2oCbinbaBMWoW_s9-PLX4pXa9GwRMw-zY2EWx8tgLS1nAqpXE7uUvAvT9uVN8ICtxNesbUYgz09QtxoVojczbTzvWT1mLPE_3TR2q0xrkqBuoX4QdOYLRcVuxEGdVgxa0FRIO3sI--k82FdhHcux7ethb4gJMOTWvtxUMiSRcorpkbKGCx0nBJDKSj5txCkbrbaD4BAuNRKht-RXNj63XDGC26qGeGNbjWRdGa751AHsnpOjhvDyYF2bfVUFN3v9XQa28_b0Kop284T0FssGa2Gb8mBBVJAxjEnCPmTc7fljbKiqH5KQLFKMswZCIgpqDVYVI8KKBw=w1266-h1189-no

My 'Glodwing' near Macynleth - awesome :D

Back
Top Bottom