New Bike Day Tomorrow

Every bike I've had I've either modified the seat or bought an aftermarket one. Did a 4 hour ride today with only a stop for fuel and found the seat fine, albeit with me wearing padded cycling shorts.

I got in another 55 miles this evening so up to almost 120, still on the original tank. These bikes must be capable of very good mpg when ridden gently like I have been doing.
Wonderfully clean air at my torso and helmet with no buffeting whatsoever stock, but I could see benefit of a decent shield on longer rides in rain and or cold.

Well, I seem to be getting near on 70mpg so a 200 mile tank range. Not bad for a 14 litre tank.
That's on a spirited ride in the company of 900cc plus sports bikes although it helps only weighing 11 stone and leading the ride - the further you are back, the more you've gotta rag it to catch up!

200 mile tank, you're not trying hard enough fella, I barely got 130 mile range, try above 5000 revs see how your range gets on

200 mile tank, you're not trying hard enough fella, I barely got 130 mile range, try above 5000 revs see how your range gets on

We'll, if my riding style is enough to stay ahead of the rest of the riders in the group there's not much point in reaching the upper reaches of the rev range. We have too much traffic and too few wide open roads in Devon to go loopy with the speed.
If you get a mile of twisty road without traffic preventing you from making progress I'd be surprised. Too many tourists, solid white lines, cyclists taking up half the lane and 30ft high hedges means a motorbike ride down here probably has a lower average speed than most other places.
Certainly when I've ridden in Wales, Norfolk, Scotland etc and other places with less traffic the speeds go up. I think constant motorway riding affected my 790 Adventure the most as a steady 75-80mph resulted in a drop to about the mid 50s mpg.

We'll, if my riding style is enough to stay ahead of the rest of the riders in the group there's not much point in reaching the upper reaches of the rev range. We have too much traffic and too few wide open roads in Devon to go loopy with the speed.

Been to and through Devon mahy times, regular place for a weekend away and got friends in Cornwall, way too many hedges to go quick, sweeping bends with enough visibility to really attack are quite rare so unless you have a death wish the speeds are much lower than places like Wales or most of England.

I can go quite quick and not use a lot of fuel, or barely any quicker and burn loads of the stuff - which can be fun in short bursts on the 1290, the problem I have with bikes like the 790 is they tend to encourage me to thrash them, had one as a loan bike when my 1290 was in for a service and I reckon I was going faster everywhere and almost certainly burning more fuel on the little bike, it just begged to be thrashed.

Back
Top Bottom