Newbie to Bike Comms

purds

Reaction score
I've used an old Zumo 550 coupled to wired Etymotic earbuds for the last how many years and found them great in terms of sound quality whilst also stopping wind and road noise.
However, I've just bought a nearly new 850 GSA with TFT, BMW Nav 6 and am about to enter the brave new world of bluetooth comms.
The various helmet setups seem to be all based around in helmet speakers. Basic question I know but do people use these with or without earplugs?
Having not tried them I obviously have no experience but if without earplugs, does wind noise not cause a problem. If with good fit earplugs can you really hear the speakers ok?

I'm sure I'll be asking loads of basic questions so thanks in advance to anyone prepared to take the time to respond :)

In helmet Sena SRL with earplugs, works just fine. Don’t expect all the TFT connections to work, I connect headset to the Nav6, and leave the tft alone.

I have Sena SRL in Neotec 2, GT Air 2 and now also J-Cruise 2.
I use custom ear plugs and can hear music no problem at 70mph.
Calls are very clear.My g/f called me today whilst I was wearing my J Cruise and it was gin clear at 60 mph and she could hear me fine,even though the J cruise is basically an open face with a deep visor.

Have used foam earplugs for 30 years. Never had a problem with hearing Satnav or the wife (now just the Satnav).
Over that period of time I have got through two wired Autocoms and and am now using a Sena SRL.
We ride much faster now than we did 40 or 50 years ago and motorways mean we do it for longer.
Don't compromise on your hearing, wear ear protection.

tom

I'm too using earplugs with attenuation filters and have Sena 10R intercom and as others said no problem at all.

In helmet Sena SRL with earplugs, works just fine. Don’t expect all the TFT connections to work, I connect headset to the Nav6, and leave the tft alone.

If you connect in this way can you control the track selection and volume completely through the Nav 6 ? Can you also use your phone through the Nav 6?

If you connect in this way can you control the track selection and volume completely through the Nav 6 ? Can you also use your phone through the Nav 6?

I don’t generally listen to music, but there is some functionality available via the Nav6, and Therefore the wonder wheel, but, no volume adjustment, that’s on the headset, Nav or phone. The phone works just fine, calls come up on the Nav screen as do call lists and contacts. Like I said, I don’t use the TFT for any of the functions that are incorporated, as i found it too flakey, fiddly and unreliable.

Back
Top Bottom