update the hard disk on my new (to me) 2008 Macbook Pro.

gary-postman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
Help would be gratefully received. I would like to update and configure a 500gb hard disk I have in my 2008 macbook pro. I've read on line, about using certain software to complete the upgrade, without success.
Thanks
Gary

When you say update, do you mean you have replaced the HD with a new one and now want to format it? Obviously the you will also have to reinstall MacOS too. That’s quite an old Mac so you are limited as to 10.11 El Capitan is the last version I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi
Yes I'm wanting to change the hard disk with a 500gb. The original 80gb disk is still in the macbook.
I would like to know how to transfer the info on the 80 to the 500.
Hoping for help. Mac is new to me.
Cheers
Gary

What would probably be simpler for you, is to keep the 80Gb drive installed, retaining the OS and any additional software to the standard it shipped with and simply plug in externally in the new drive you’ve acquired using USB. If it’s not in a case already, they’re cheap as chips.
Otherwise you’ve got to clone the original drive - again, need to plug it in but that’s less straightforward. PM Stolzy if you want a Mac expert. From my hospital bed I’m not much use at the mo.

What would probably be simpler for you, is to keep the 80Gb drive installed, retaining the OS and any additional software to the standard it shipped with and simply plug in externally in the new drive you’ve acquired using USB. If it’s not in a case already, they’re cheap as chips.
Otherwise you’ve got to clone the original drive - again, need to plug it in but that’s less straightforward. PM Stolzy if you want a Mac expert. From my hospital bed I’m not much use at the mo.

Thanks for the reply.
Get well soon.
Gary

I changed my MacBook Pro 2008 HD to an SSD. I used a USB Caddy ( a few quid on Ebay - you need a SATA one) to hold the new drive and cloned the old drive onto it; you can just get a USB-SATA cable and leave the drive loose on your desk.

How-to video on cloning the contents from old to new HDD - here (not watched this myself, IIRC I think MAcOS had a Disk Utility that allowed me to transfer it all)

A 1TB SSD is only about £80 (£100 for a branded one like Samsung) - the SSD speed transforms the machine, I'm happily typing on it now. Boots from cold in 1 minute.

EDIT - I added RAM to 8GB then loaded High Sierra OS using dosdude1's patch. You can even run Catalina but mine is fine for now.

HTH

A

The Samsung I replaced my C drive (win10 pc) included some software to clone the old c drive, it went flawlessly!
Probably worth reading the samsung blurb to see if it works on an apple, if so you're good to go

The Samsung I replaced my C drive (win10 pc) included some software to clone the old c drive, it went flawlessly!
Probably worth reading the samsung blurb to see if it works on an apple, if so you're good to go

Another vote for the Samsung drives and software. Not used it on a mac but very quick and easy on a PC :)

Back
Top Bottom