A grand day out.....Scotland

Tetley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Perfect day out, great weather great roads. Kinloch Rannoch, Trinafour, Dalwhinnie, Fort Bill, Strontian, Tyndrum, Killin, Bridge of Balgie, Kinloch Rannoch.

Attachments

• 9643EBD1-99A3-4E46-9ED4-76A7BCDC5FF2.jpg
    9643EBD1-99A3-4E46-9ED4-76A7BCDC5FF2.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 412
  • 4B38CB1F-6C94-4AB4-80DE-81A98FEFB8AA.jpg
    4B38CB1F-6C94-4AB4-80DE-81A98FEFB8AA.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 412
Brilliant.

I'll bet that road up to the dam was heaving, it certainly was last Saturday.

Seems the West stole all the good weather today, was pretty dull on the East.

Glad that you had a great day :beerjug:

I’ve popped up from The Smoke for the weekend and have been bimbling around Cally too, and do so every year. The weather has been fabulous hasn’t it.

Here’s Friday and today’s runs. The heather and the pink roadside flowers (No idea what they are) are absolutely stunning.

Attachments

• A65BB4A9-67D8-4B97-B91D-A54A171366ED.jpg
    A65BB4A9-67D8-4B97-B91D-A54A171366ED.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 392
  • FDB655D1-2F17-4F26-8168-0D46DA84ACAA.jpg
    FDB655D1-2F17-4F26-8168-0D46DA84ACAA.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 393
Sounds like a fantastic day, Tetley, and the bikes look good, too. You're lucky to have so many good roads and so much brilliant scenery up there.

Brilliant.

I'll bet that road up to the dam was heaving, it certainly was last Saturday.

Seems the West stole all the good weather today, was pretty dull on the East.
It Was rammed with vans, camper vans, cars and tents. Never seen it so busy.

Perfect day out, great weather great roads. Kinloch Rannoch, Trinafour, Dalwhinnie, Fort Bill, Strontian, Tyndrum, Killin, Bridge of Balgie, Kinloch Rannoch.

Is that Glen Lyon and Pubil dam?
Where is the gravel track? I didn't think you were allowed to go down 'off road' tracks in Scotland?

Is that Glen Lyon and Pubil dam?
Where is the gravel track? I didn't think you were allowed to go down 'off road' tracks in Scotland?

Killin to Bridge of Balgie over the Ben Lawers, then down Glen Lyon to Fortingall. So it’s Loch an Lairige dam.

Correct there are no green lanes in Scotland. The track was just by the side of the road on the west side of Loch Linnhe

No hook up required got sola power.... Decided to give jockland a miss for this year. As you say jammed with eedjits making a mess and being very disrespectful of the environs.

Killin to Bridge of Balgie over the Ben Lawers, then down Glen Lyon to Fortingall. So it’s Loch an Lairige dam.

Correct there are no green lanes in Scotland. The track was just by the side of the road on the west side of Loch Linnhe

Ah, I wondered if it was the hill road to the loch Lyon dam from Kenknock - I was offered the stalker's job there to follow on from Bob Bissett. Duncan Maclennan recommended me to the factor and owner. About 1986 or 87.

Have you ever ventured down opposite the main stop at Cluanie? To the south side of loch Cluanie? I go there for a pike trip occassionally. If you fork right you can get through to Loch Loyne, north side. :thumby:

I’m really interested in what you are saying but I’m not understanding your direction? You said you get through to Loch Loyne!
Could you explain more to me. Thanks for that.

Thats a long way to get to nowhere in particular....
There is probably a queue of motorhomes about half way along, trying to reverse back out, at the moment.

Attachments

• 2020-08-18 (4).jpg
    2020-08-18 (4).jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 141

What about the use of Old Military Roads?

Thats a long way to get to nowhere in particular....
There is probably a queue of motorhomes about half way along, trying to reverse back out, at the moment.

Thats the old road from Tomdoun to Cluanie, over Mam Cluanie. Its flooded by Loch Loyne at one end , and a locked gate at the Cluanie Lodge road end. If the water in Loch Loyne is very low, you can see the bridge where the old road crossed the river before it was all flooded for hydro, and replaced by the current road over the top of The Garry and down to Bunloin and Moriston Bridge.. Haven't been along it for a few years, but the road...tarmac mostly...wasn't in too bad nick then. Definitely private though, you would not be welcome in a vehicle!

Many a happy day stalking off that road...we had a boat on Loch Loyne and carried an outboard to help with extraction of deer. Was then owned by Lord Burton...now dead and sold, but the stalker is from the same family that have stalked in Cluanie and Glenshiel for generations.

Also many a night at fox dens more or less everywhere on that map!

Back
Top Bottom