Front Brake Master Cylinder replacement

NeilH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After doing a service and inspecting the bike that I bought unseen a while ago, I decided to change the front brake pads as the front bake has always felt a bit spongy only to find there where only 3 working machines screws on the master cylinder, the 4th thread has been stripped in the cylinder housing. I decided its probably best to replace the cylinder rather that try a repair as its more of a critical component. Replacement cylinder is on its way via the postal system.

I can't really find much on documentation in removing the master cylinder, but I think I'll drain the reservoir, remove "whatever", put the replacement part in and bleed the front brakes. Followed by plugging in the GS911 and checking etc.

Can I bead the system the old fashion way or do I need a vacuum pump?
What else might catch me out?
Any helpful tips?

Neil

You can certainly bleed the brakes the normal way, by pumping the brake lever and then opening and closing the bleed screws at the calipers. However if doing this on your own, it is much easier with a mityvac. This will allow you to bleed the brakes from the bleed screws without having to pump and hold the brake lever. Just make sure to top up the brake fluid in the master cylinder.
A gs911 if you can get hold of one, will allow you to further bleed the abs module.

I must say I like the idea of using the vacuum one instead of grabbing some unsuspecting volunteer.

I have a GS911 :)

Mityac is around £50

Anyone use a YORKING Hand Held Brake Bleeder £13.00 or AOBETAK Brake Bleed Kit and the WiMas Hand Held Vacuum Pump at just over £20 look exactly like the York one which actually also looks like a draper version.

Back
Top Bottom