2017 with 12K, knock under 3K when very hot and accelerating

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So my bike is going in next weekend for exploratory work, it’s making a knock on acceleration when very hot, or heat soaked (like stopping to re-fuel, it may do it pulling away).

Not all the time, only now and then.

I first noticed it last year when filtering in traffic, in first or second accelerating up to 3K. It’s not done it all winter due to the cold, but it has done it this year now it’s warm again.

It was serviced a couple of weeks ago and they said they could hear something on the RHS .

It’s not top end and sounds more central to me and rotating mass type of noise. Big ends, Mains, Thrust, piston slap? Anyway, they are taking the RHS head off and having a look. Not sure what that will tell them as you’ll only be able to see the bore?? :confused:

Sounds a tad random; they could use an inspection scope for that - whose dollar is paying the bill?

yes, can't see any reason to take the head off unless they can get the piston and con rod out as well... can you do this in bike?

Its just started its 2nd year warranty as I bought it last July. they put 3 years on it for me on account that after thier 250 point checks they do, they failed to notice the cams were shot! sounded like a machine gun, but top end for sure.
I complained the bits had to go somewhere so maybe thats what I'm seeing now... glad its got 2 years left :)

In a word no. See the parts diagrams here ......... https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=0A71-BRA-03-2017-K50-BMW-R_1200_GS_17_0A71_&mg=11

Bottom end is an engine out job, but seems they usually just replace the short engine these days. Cams shot previously you say, so it seems strange they didn't investigate then. Thank goodness you have warranty.

Thats interesting... how do you get to the nuts to put the bearing caps on. I've watch the engine assy video before and it does not appear to be a crank and piston assembly as they push them down the bore. So how do you do them up??

They all do that, Sir.

Says he, whose 2017 bike had a new engine at 29K miles for a big end.

My noise started up on a high-spirited ride in the Cotswolds, leading a ride. It was only after a tea stop at Thame and afterwards I became aware of an engine-related tapping noise. It didn't get better; quite the opposite. By the time I found somewhere safe to stop, when the engine was revved on the centre stand, everyone could hear it. Recovery home from the roadside 2 hours later (grrr). New engine fitted.

So the bike is in.. let's see what they come back with. Its a deep down noise IYKWIM, but they appear to be convinced its the top end? wonder if we are hearing the same noise?
Top end tends to be more of a clacking sound where as this is a bong :mmmm

will await further reports :)

Harley out and MOT'd ready for the early Sunday run :)

So the bike is in.. let's see what they come back with. Its a deep down noise IYKWIM, but they appear to be convinced its the top end? wonder if we are hearing the same noise?
Top end tends to be more of a clacking sound where as this is a bong :mmmm

will await further reports :)

Harley out and MOT'd ready for the early Sunday run :)

Clack bong no good better ping. :beerjug:

went to visit the bike today .. its all in bits. They have found 'twist' on the RHS piston and a couple of marks in the bore.... Will continue next week

twist on the piston? what the hell does that mean,not exactly a recognised technical term!

Bent conrod. Many, many years ago I had a Triumph 1300 car, bought used which had a knock that was rhythmic.I stripped the engine twice looking for a cause but could never find anything obvious like a worn big end bearing. Our local engine reconditioner who was an ex Ford engine inspector asked if I had "swung the rods"

Turns out that by putting them in a jig and suspending them through the big end and then letting them swing down through two sort of towers, you could see if a rod was bent.

Sure enough, on was ever so slightly bent which was enough to cause a knock. I never found out why it was bent but maybe in its life that cylinder had a mild hydraulic lock.

Have you ever dropped your bike, engine running, in water?

I think when the say 'twist' they mean you can get hold of the piston top and move it clockwise / anti clockwise a bit... so I guess its big ends or small ends?

Well, seen the bike today, both heads off, both pistons and rods out, measured up the big ends, small ends, crank and info sent to BMW .... I do hope its right when I get it back... starting to miss it a bit now.
Riding the FXR though whilst its not wet :) what I do like with the Hog is you know where you are with the clutch!.. BM is a bit all over

Further update from the Mother ship.. New parts on order. So called to see what they were doing.... They are replacing the engine! :nenau

They had found a bore out of tolerance and a Gudgeon pin so its obviously cheaper to put a new lump in.

Does this de-value my bike in the eyes of the collective?.. Or maybe even increase its value??

Sounds like a result to me, but huge nuisance value, as you have been off the road & now need to run in & early service a new engine. Have you had the use of a loan bike throughout though?

I can't see it makes much difference to the value. Hardly classic status yet, maybe a small comfort factor if selling on in the short term.

Yes, I guess so.. its like a new bike again... costly 12K service though (if not in warranty)...

No, I've not had a bike. To be fair to them they did say if I need one to let them know, but as its been nice I've had the Harley out which I've now decided to strip and re-build the winter :)

Hope to be on the road again this weekend!!

Been to see it today.. old engine out and new one in.. just needs finishing Monday :)

Back
Top Bottom