BMW G650X Exhaust Header

Hi John.

Bit slow on the uptake here, but if you do another batch then I’ll have one and then I might just finally get around to removing the Akro’s and putting on the header and scorpion.

Hope all’s well and best wishes

mark

I take it there is no way to just call the manufacturer and ask them to make a few more at the same time? ☺️

I take it there is no way to just call the manufacturer and ask them to make a few more at the same time? ☺️

Unfortunately not , the minimum batch quantity is six and I need to book a slot in the production schedule at least 4 weeks in advance . I now have 3 on the list so another 3 then I will order the second batch

Think the akro’s will now go into a nicely padded box John and be saved for when and if I ever sell the bike! Besides I thought you already had a secret source of titanium exotica! ��

Think the akro’s will now go into a nicely padded box John and be saved for when and if I ever sell the bike! Besides I thought you already had a secret source of titanium exotica!

Unfortunately my source has dried up

I’ll just have to wait until you sell the bike and buy it along with the Akrapovic

Did the sale of your PD all complete ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, sale of the PD completed. The guy turned up in a Fiat Panda to collect it. Promptly got a motolug trailer out of the boot and before long there was the incongruous sight of a GSPD being towed away by a Panda!

Will give you first refusal if I come to sell it John.

Hi John,
Just seen this thread. Do you have any still up for grabs?
Thanks

Quick update - I am going to collect the first header on Friday so I can test fit it to make sure all is OK before they go ahead and assemble the rest

All being well we should then get the rest of them within two weeks

I'll upload some photos and and update once I've done the test fitting this weekend

As per the above update I went and collected the first test header last Friday

The brief had to been to make as close a copy as possible (within in their manufacturing capabilities) of the Akrapovic header

The Akrapovic has a slightly bigger bore than the stock header and will not require the graphite bush at the joint to the end can

The Akrapovic is made from titanium but as already advised these ones are made from stainless steel

They have managed to do what I think is a very nice job

The stainless header had to be made in three sections rather than the five that the original Akrapovic was made in , as trying to do it in five sections in stainless was putting too much heat in the tubing and distorting it

I have test fitted it and it is a perfect fit and the original metal heat shield also fits nicely so you will be able to re-use your existing one (the one in the picture is just a standard one that I have had powder coated satin black)

Only thing I have fed back is that I would prefer the heat shield bosses to be TIG welded on rather than MIG tack welded - I know it is hidden under the heat shield and not seen but I still think it spoils the overall quality look of the header

I have also now got the exhaust header studs in stainless steel and copper nuts

So thats the good news - we have a confirmed source of a quality replacement headers

The not so good news is that during the manufacturing process the pipe bending mandrel reached its wear limit and only two of the tight 90 degree bends that are used to make the first section on the header were usable

The rest ended up looking like wrinkled up socks :-( . New tooling is already on order and will be here by the end of the month so we are looking at delivery of the headers by mid November

I do have the header in the photos plus by the end of next week I will have one further one so if anyone is desperate for a header I have two which I will be able to post out earlier

So I'll let the photos tell the rest of the story

Back
Top Bottom