Dunlop Tyres Customer Service !!!!!!!!

Neil W

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Have been a long time fan of Dunlops but after the latest purchase all I can say is never again and recommend to others that their customer services are utterly sh*te.

My 2018 model r1200gsa had been running on Dunlop Trailsmart Max tyres and completed over 7000 miles with zero issues, when I came to change the tyres non of the suppliers could get hold of the same tyres as they have been superceded with the new Dunlop Trailmax Meridian tyres (which I also have on my f800gsa)

Got as set fitted on the 1200 and immediately noticed a shimmy on the steering as you dropped down speed from 50 odd mph right down to 35 mph or so , which after a few miles got worse .

Took the wheel off the bike and the balance was checked along with any runout on the rim and it was fine, put the wheel back on the bike and the shimmy if anything was getting worse, making the bike dangerous to ride and getting towards a tank slapper. as you dropped speed on a trailing throttle there was 35mm of shimmy at the bar ends which worsened as the speed fell. If it was a conventional front supension set up it would be a full blown tank slapper.

By this time the tyres had done 350 to 400 miles ,I contacted Dunlop who were extremely off hand about the issue ( i have since found out that all of the rear Meridian production was pulled in 3 different rear sizes last year due tyres delaminating internally.

Jumped through Dunlop's hoops (although I did not just buy another replacement Meridian front tyre as they suggested ) and had the tyre removed and sent back via the supplying dealer to Dunlop to be tested .

Replaced the the tyres as a pair and had the dealer fit a matched set of Continental trail attack 3's , guess what the bike is absolutely fine, totally stable and no sign of any shimmy in the steering , so it had to be the Dunlop tyres.

Get a reply back today from the dealers and apparently Dunlop have tested the tyre and it is in no way faulty and they state it must be an issue with my bike ....... utter bollocks, however, they have not deigned to date to return the so called non defective tyre nor replaced it .

Totally sh*te customer service , I paid out £220 for a set of tyres which do not work (at least the front one does not), but I am expected to bite the bullet and accept this .

Now I am not saying that all Dunlop tyres are defective but there has been publicised issues with the Meridian tyres (check it up on the internet , it is in the tyre trade reports) and in the past I have had excellent use from Dunlop tyres ,however, this is the last time I will buy any of their products due to their attitude towards customer service .

As for the almost new rear sitting in the loft I will not be fitting another Dunlop tyre to any of my bikes or cars......... f*ck them !!!!!!!!

Hope if you purchase Dunlop tyres you have no issues .

Here you go, but apparently Dunlop say there has been no issues

Attachments

• dunlop recall.jpg
    dunlop recall.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 462
"Hope if you purchase Dunlop tyres you have no issues ."

Pish - you hope your post damages their sales.

You forgot to use "not fit for purpose" - always the staple phrase for that kind of post.

You forgot to use "not fit for purpose" - always the staple phrase for that kind of post.

I could not give a flying f*ck about Dunlop sales , however , why should I not warn people regarding their aftersales service.

About 10 years ago I had a problem with a Continental front tyre, Continental immediately provided the dealer with a replacement tyre and took mine back , I've had a duff Toyo car tyre in the past , got 3 miles from the tyre fitters and went back, they went out for a 1/2 mile drive with me told me to turn around and go back to the depot and fitted a new tyre and the duff one went straight back to the supplier.

This was not a worn out tyre but one that had issues from day one and having just checked my records it was removed at 401 miles as the bike was dangerous to ride and was getting worse, as for Dunlop's catch all phrase of it must be an issue with the customers bike, the bike was fine before the Meridians were fitted and then it instantly developed the shimmy and it was fine again after the Meridians were taken off and replaced by the Continental Trail Attack 3's.

Initially when i contacted Dunlop via their 'tyre doctor' they recommended I bought a replacement front Meridian before they examined the defective one , when i asked them what if the replacement was from the same production batch with potentialy the same issues and the reply was well buy another one and send the second one back

Odd post. Think the OP has every right to raise the issue, not sure what your issue with it is :nenau

I’ve read and reread your post and additions. I can’t understand why you rode 400 miles on this dangerous tyre. Your recourse is with the dealer who sold and fitted the tyre. To ride 400 miles with this dangerous tyre doesn’t make. JJH

You ought to have had the rear checked as well, it's possible that it was the cause.

Am with NeilW, you should expect better customer service. I bought set of Michelin A3 tyres and had a prob so contacted manufacturer (by now about 300mi). Got a phone call, to my astonishment apt was made, chap turned up, test rode the bike and couple of days later I got an email directing me to a local dealer and new tyres fitted. Brill, well done Michelin

Claim for 'delivery up' of your tyre under the Torts (interference with goods) Act 1977. Can't remember the section but it's near the start and a mercifully short Act. Write first and give them a chance to return it though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well an update, Dunlop who admitted the tyres have never been tested on a non ESA model according to their literature asked for the rear tyre to be sent back as well in early September, now my GSA has had zero issues since replacing the Meridians with Continentals TA3's and it also has had a 12,000 mile service where the dealer also at my request did a full check on all chassis components which were as I already know fine.

So today get a letter from Goodyear-Dunlop saying all claims have been rejected as in their opinion the tyres are fine and if i do not arrange having them sent back they will dispose of them within 28 days.

As far as I am concerned this is £220 wasted , but I have told them to return the tyres and have requested a letter telling me they are safe and accepting full responsibility for any issues should i decide to reuse them .

Because of their utterly shite customer service I will never put Dunlop tyres on any of my bikes in the future and for the past 15 years or so I have exclusively used Goodyear tyres on my four cars which will also stop as of today .

Just to rub salt in the wounds the Meridians fitted to my f800gsa have started as of yesterday at 1000 miles to cause a steering wobble the same as they did on the 1200, FFS

Well Dunlop came through today , good on them call from head of customer services who basically said I should have been offered replacement tyres with no argument , got the option of a set of Roadsmart 3's or a set of the new Trailmax Mutants to try out and if Ido not like them a refund .

As I pointed out , they may be adhering to industry standards re defective products but it is hardly good customer service, mentioned the Meridians on my 800 and was told if they get worse they will be replaced.

Back
Top Bottom