I want another torch

Comfy Old Boots

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
But a bright one!

I'm I wasting my money on something like this?

Anyone recomend something bright, that I can use to light paint with my camera in the dark? Plus widen out and just well, act like a torch :nenau.

Here's a photo I took a couple of years ago in the pitch black in camp in Scotland:

Anyway, torch will live a difficult life I expect so if anyone can recomend a smelly old boots proof led mega torch, ple

b1005f716b907c4026917ea9222e3cb0.jpg

My photo!

Olight are excellent, and there is a big sale due to start soon, with freebies.

Another vote for oLight. Their quoted lumens are accurate, unlike Chinese lumens which should be divided by 10 at a minimum

Also their beam patterns are wider than these bright but very focussed Chinese torches, so that may help for your purposes. I have an S1R Baton II which is 1000 lumens on turbo mode (very bright in immediate vicinity) albeit the compact size means it only sustains that for a minute or two before dropping down to 300 lumens (still bright!) Depending how long your light painting takes you should maybe look for something in their range that can sustain 1000 lumens or more for extended period.

Depends on your budget ultimately. Lots of YouTube vids on the various models.

Here's a quick country lane test with the s1R just to give you an idea. Those houses are about 150yds away so the throw is pretty good.

For quick ref, medium is 60 lm high is 600 and turbo is 1000

https://youtu.be/MBAJivF49Yo

I bought a "SkyRay" Chinese Cree LED based torch about 7 years ago and it has been absolutely brilliant. It uses 4 18650 batteries (and you should buy good Sony or Molicell ones - they are only about a fiver each). At the time it was specced at 5K lumens, which it probably wasn't, but even so it is still seriously "light up a whole field" bright.

Anyway....best torch I ever bought. I have dropped it in puddles, on concrete and it just keeps on going. Only two levels of brightness - unholy fucking demonfire bright or meh. £70 at the time which I thought was a lot, but I've definitely had my money back from it as we live in the middle of nowhere and need good torches just to walk down the road in winter.

It looked exactly like this one, but wasn't exactly the same:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SKYRAY-King-3xCREE-Flashlight-4x18650/dp/B0132LOBP8

Only downside is that it is a heavy bastard to put in your pocket..

I'll watch this thread with interest as the nights will soon be drawing in and I might get another decent torch.

I guess another item worth mentioning is what sort of size fits your needs. The Skyray in the last post is kind of beercan sized at a guess (and there are some ridiculously bright torches available in that size and format). Do you need something that's palm sized, pocket sized or can you go larger than that? A lot of the olights have magnetic tailcaps which means you can easily attach them to stuff, there are also 90deg models which are handy if you want to stand them up on a level surface.

Thanks lads, there are a few good leads there. Glad I didn’t waste my money. I’ll take a look tomorrow between jobs.

I bought an LedLenser P7 a few years ago. Pocket sized, decent battery life, very bright for what it is with two light levels, and almost instant beam focus from full flood to a very tight beam. AAA batteries seem to last forever. Strong waterproof aluminium case. Mine has been with me on all my travels and rolls around in the garage in between trips. The tight beam is great for looking for things lost in garage gloom. They still do a P7 I see from the link above but it’s been upgraded a lot and is a lot more expensive now.

I also got a tiny ledlenser torch free with it. Think mag lite solitaire size. That lives in my bike’s toolbox and I am always amazed when I do get it out that it still works. I found it immersed in water one time , it’ll have been like that for days but a quick shake and blow and it worked perfectly. I am very impressed with LedLenser quality.

+1 for ledlenser. I have had a few of their products and they gave all been excellent. The only time I had an issue (a twist zoom jammed at one end of its travel) I dropped into their office and they replaced it with absolutely no question asked. So the support is great too. should you even need it.

Back
Top Bottom