crf 250 rally

steele01

Reaction score
HI everyone ^_^ hope we are all keeping well in these weird times,

I just wanna thank everyone that's replied emailed etc with advice while I've been trying to sus out what bikes to get for dad an I on our dream trip to Iceland an Norway an eventually further afield.

Really feel like I've narrowed it down now to a 2019 Honda CB500X.

Today we went to a local Honda dealer to sit on the CB500X which I loved the seating position felt very similar to my 1200gsa an 800gs I had an while there I was truly taken with the look of the crf 250 rally.

Just curious anyone had the rally how are you getting on with them for longer overland trips?

I was watching an old video of Steph Jeavons talking about her 250l an not racing around the world an enjoying the trip. Really hammered home my new mindset.

One thing that surprised me with the 250 rally was how much the suspension sagged under my weight I'm 32 inches inside leg, 6'2 an 14-15 stone ish. Was expecting to be on my tip toes an I was till I nocked it off the side stand.

Just wondering does anyone know what weight rider they are sprung for? The forks didn't seem overly bad but the rear did dive a fair bit.

Was a nice sensation being able to put my feet down on both of them although I'm guessing once I sort the sag's out on the rally that could be a different story.

Few mobile pics from today.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

You have to ask yourself what are you looking to get out of the bike? Do you want it to travel long road miles or a bike that does both and capable of a bit of off roading. I have the Rally, bad points, rear shock is sh.ite, power is i believe 24hp which is'nt great, 6th gear is for down hill only, stuggles to sit at 65/70. Good points, styling, fuel range, good off road, grin factor.
I have done various mods to it and it is like a different bike to ride now whith a lot more power and suspension mods.It will now sit at 70/75 all day.
I have also the older CB500 which is a good bike and will take you many miles on the road in relatively comfort.

Good luck on your choice.

TA Steve

I agree with Steve, a standard 250L feels just a few hp short. I do understand the idea of a more gently paced trip, but also you don't want to feel you're having to work hard to maintain a reasonable speed from time to time. Also, at 55+, that extra little bit of oomph that sometimes gets you out of trouble, is missing. I would imagine the 500 would not feel like that and even on a gentle trip it will be nicer not to be flogging your engine so much.

Thanks for the reply guys,

What did you do to the engine Steve if you don't mind me asking.

Cheers,

Tom

Simply dropping to a 13T front sprocket changes the engine behaviour massively.
Going further to 13/43 or 13/45 turns it into proper enduro gearing.
Top speed is virtually unchanged but means 6th stops being an overdrive.

Thanks guys got to sit on a couple today deffo going to need a new rear shock I think or a respring. :beerjug: Felt good though.

Tom, i managed to pick up a full Yoshimura exhaust system along with a K&N and also an EJK fuel controller. I have put a 42 on the rear. If you change the front to a 13 the bike in my opinion seems to rev out to much when using on the road however good for the off road stuff. I manage on and off road ok with the 42 so no need to change the front.
Book face have a group dedicated to the CRF L and Rally.
Wish you well in what ever you choose.

PS; If your buying new, do some research as there are a few bargains to be had???

250 Rally perfectly suited to round the world, as long as you've got plenty of time and are only in the company of other similar bikes. Rally Raid C500x or a Tenere 700 probably better bets but the trade off for a bit more power (well, twice to three times as much per :) is weight and bulk.

Key is to be honest about how you're going to use the bike...

Thanks guys yep will just be dad an I on identical bikes hence looking at them rather than a big adv again :)

I'll check out some dealers soon as the rd250c sells a guy let me down this week again about the 2nd person to say he's coming to look then not turn up so fingers crossed he comes for a nosey at some point. Think I've certainly decided on the 250 Rally just gotta sus out increasing the fuel range somewhat on them. Rotopax or a cameltank maybe.

Back
Top Bottom