iPhone password help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickDB1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello there
I had a great mate friend who has sadly passed away. She had a iphone and ipad which are password locked.
Is there a service or way to get around the security as the family would like some info/pictures/etc. off them.
I am just trying to help the family any way I can by asking on here to folks who may have overcome this problem.
Thank you if you can help.
PM me if you prefer ( I dont know if it is illegal - dont care actually this is a pal and a half to me and Janet)
Taa :thumby:

You’ll need access to her laptop/Mac or forget it. Only other way is if you can log into iCloud through a browser - again if you have her laptop/Mac then this will probably have the password saved and will auto log-in for you.
Otherwise - forget it.

As others have said, you will struggle with this given the Apple protocols.

However, many of us have bad habits, like making a note of codes somewhere discrete ........ just in case we have a 'senior' moment.

Has anybody with an inquisitive mindset gone through diaries/address books/old papers that came with the phone/tablet?

As others have said, I think you're going to struggle. My dad died 3 years ago at age 92.

Considerable discussion with Apple Support revealed that the only way they'd unlock his iPad was if I got a court order.

There was that big kerfuffle last year when the FBI wanted to access an iPhone and Apple wouldn’t play ball.
Is it worth asking a local computer club, there maybe some tech savvy teen who knows a way.

There was that big kerfuffle last year when the FBI wanted to access an iPhone and Apple wouldn’t play ball.
Is it worth asking a local computer club, there maybe some tech savvy teen who knows a way.

I'd be very interested to know if there is. I even asked a friend who was, until recently, a senior manager with Apple in Cupertino. He asked some colleagues and came back with no answer.

Have you tried variations on his birth date or "1234" yet?

There is simply no way.

There are many ways to get data off the iphone using forensic software, but all of them render the phone useless.

The CIA / FBI ordered Apple to do it with a terrorists phone and they simply said they could not and proved it in court I believe

If you don't have the password then sadly you will not get into that phone

So, why do the law enforcements agents around the UK insist on retaining a ‘person of interest’ s iPhone before proceedings - if that data becomes locked-out?
I’ve always wondered that......

Scotland springs to mind, here.

I work with stolen/seized property and when a phone are found and not reunited with its owner , the finder cannot claim as there is personal data contained on it.

On the other hand phones/laptops/ipads etc seized as a result of a sudden death can go back to the next of kin , which I have always found doesn’t make much sense as there may be material on them that the relative may not want to see?

My better half knows what my password is.... if she didn’t she’d be wondering why not ;)

Sorry to hear that you’ve lost a good friend there Micky.

Unfortunately I can only echo some of what others have said. I had an iPad mini that if forgot the apple I’d passcode for having not used it for several real years . Does the family have access to her email ? Apple offered to send me a new password by email but the Apple ID on that device was still registered to an old BT.com email address which I had cancelled so I couldn’t receive the recovery email so that was that. They said there was nothing I could do UNLESS I had the original proof of purchase , which I didn’t .

Good luck mate :thumb2

Is it an older iPhone (4 digit code) or newer (6 digit) ? As mentioned above, trying obvious stuff like her kids' birthdays (if she had kids) is where to start. Failing that, I recall a guy recovering a locked sat nav by constructing a random mechanical number generator. There's a challenge for you! :D (I'll post a link if I find it.)

Edit - found it! Bloody irritating music but you'll get the idea.

Pretty sure on an iPhone you get a max of 10 attempts at the passcode before it wipes itself clean.

Pretty sure on an iPhone you get a max of 10 attempts at the passcode before it wipes itself clean.

Broadly correct; there is a timeout progression until you reach 10 attempts. Then, dependant upon what the user set, the phone will either lock or wipe.

Best not to have random guesses then so I can only suggest you try & find the original box & any notes/instructions/invoice & see if she made a written record of the code.

Thank you all very much for your helpful tips and PMs
I am truly amazed by the good lads ( and Lasses) on this forum.
I am helping the family with owt that is needed and your help to me is appreciated so much
Thanks again - and hope I can help you sometime
Mick:thumby:

I’ve seen a next of kin use the fingerprint of the deceased to unlock an iPhone before now. All passwords were stored on the device in Settings and in Notes

I’m not advocating this of course. Apple do make it impossible.

So long as it wasn’t a cremation - the NOK wouldn’t have had to dig very deep for it.
Only six-foot, or so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom