Dumfries and Galloway roads.

Deleted account 220319001

Reaction score
I'm currently eyeing up a two or three day trip doon sooth and possibly taking in D&G, problem is I don't know the area at all, can anyone recommend some good roads in and around that area ??

Ideally not to far west to the likes of Portpatrick, more Castle Douglas/Newton Stewart then towards Wanlockhead...ish.

I've got a holiday home just south of Stranraer at Sandhead and the roads I would go have a look at are:

1. The main roads through the Galloway Forest Park are not to be missed.

2. A77 from Stranraer up the side of the Loch Ryan and on up to Trumps Hotel at Troon and onwards

3. The loop road from the A75 down through Wigtown on to the Isle of Whithorn and up the otherside of the peninsula through Port William

4. Road down from Stranraer south to the Mull of Galloway Lighthouse (where there is a nice cafe for a cream tea or a hot meal)

I've got a holiday home just south of Stranraer at Sandhead and the roads I would go have a look at are:

1. The main roads through the Galloway Forest Park are not to be missed.

2. A77 from Stranraer up the side of the Loch Ryan and on up to Trumps Hotel at Troon and onwards

3. The loop road from the A75 down through Wigtown on to the Isle of Whithorn and up the otherside of the peninsula through Port William

4. Road down from Stranraer south to the Mull of Galloway Lighthouse (where there is a nice cafe for a cream tea or a hot meal)

Brilliant, thangyew.

Heres a route with some tighter/higher roads if that tickles your fancy! :beerjug:

Attachments

• Moffat1 to Road and Belfast Way.kml
    75 KB · Views: 71
And going the other way. Past a big wall used as target practice by the RAF!! Near Cainryan. And also the Dalveen pass which is a cracking road!

Attachments

• Moffatrun2.kml
    75.8 KB · Views: 44
A few years ago I used to organise some runs in the area for another couple of forums. It’s a fantastic area for biking. Try these....

A712 from Crocketford on the A75 a few miles west of Dumfries through New Galloway then onto Newton Stewart. 40 odd miles of fast open twisties.

Minor road from Bargrennan a few miles north of Newton Stewart northwards through Glentrool and bearing right at Balloch through your Straiton. Tight fast narrow roads.

At Straiton take a right towards Dallmelington then right there and through to St Johns Town of Dalry. Mix of narrow minor roads, crests and fast A road. Take a break.

From St JT of D either back track north a bit on the B7000 to connect with the B702 then east through Moniave to Thornhill or the A702 from St JT of D east. (Thornhill has a big wide high street with lots of interesting buildings).

Then north a bit on the A76 to pick up the B797 to Wanlockhead and onto the Bxxxx (various numbers) that is the route of the old A74. Fast quiet road back south towards Gretna.

B road south and west from Gretna has a couple of different numbers but keep the coast to your left and follow it to through to the bottom end of Dumfries. Pick up the the A710/A711 and again keep the coast on your left all the way to Kirkcudbright. B727 back towards Dalbeattie is worth a Detour

Any of the roads across or around the two westerly peninsulars of Whithorn or the Mull of Galloway are worth a look.

There are two forest roads open to the public (or were) i last did these rides in 2014. when I also had permission from the forestry commission to ride through the forest on the logging tracks. Reivers Road goes from south of New Galloway on the A762 through to near Clatteringshaws Loch. It’s an easy (or was) hard packed track. Same for the other forestry track from the south end of Loch Doon to the minor road between Balloch and Straiton. This one is better imho if you are going to do just one.

Heading a bit further east is worthwhile too if you have time and energy left. Any of the East-West A or B or minor roads from the Lockerbie/Moffat/Abington areas towards Hawick or Selkirk or Jedburgh are good then the B roads south through Newcastleton are all good.

Have a great trip.

A few years ago I used to organise some runs in the area for another couple of forums. It’s a fantastic area for biking. Try these....

A712 from Crocketford on the A75 a few miles west of Dumfries through New Galloway then onto Newton Stewart. 40 odd miles of fast open twisties.

Minor road from Bargrennan a few miles north of Newton Stewart northwards through Glentrool and bearing right at Balloch through your Straiton. Tight fast narrow roads.

At Straiton take a right towards Dallmelington then right there and through to St Johns Town of Dalry. Mix of narrow minor roads, crests and fast A road. Take a break.

From St JT of D either back track north a bit on the B7000 to connect with the B702 then east through Moniave to Thornhill or the A702 from St JT of D east. (Thornhill has a big wide high street with lots of interesting buildings).

Then north a bit on the A76 to pick up the B797 to Wanlockhead and onto the Bxxxx (various numbers) that is the route of the old A74. Fast quiet road back south towards Gretna.

B road south and west from Gretna has a couple of different numbers but keep the coast to your left and follow it to through to the bottom end of Dumfries. Pick up the the A710/A711 and again keep the coast on your left all the way to Kirkcudbright. B727 back towards Dalbeattie is worth a Detour

Any of the roads across or around the two westerly peninsulars of Whithorn or the Mull of Galloway are worth a look.

There are two forest roads open to the public (or were) i last did these rides in 2014. when I also had permission from the forestry commission to ride through the forest on the logging tracks. Reivers Road goes from south of New Galloway on the A762 through to near Clatteringshaws Loch. It’s an easy (or was) hard packed track. Same for the other forestry track from the south end of Loch Doon to the minor road between Balloch and Straiton. This one is better imho if you are going to do just one.

Heading a bit further east is worthwhile too if you have time and energy left. Any of the East-West A or B or minor roads from the Lockerbie/Moffat/Abington areas towards Hawick or Selkirk or Jedburgh are good then the B roads south through Newcastleton are all good.

Have a great trip.

That is almost making me think twice about heading in to Englandshire and just doddling around the whole area.

I'm fairly familiar with the Moffat/St Mary's loch area further east, it's west of there I've never really been.

Move along

Move along , move along please, nothing to see here :rob

Lets keep that area a secret shhhhhhh :augie One of the best areas the Solway coast and the Galloway Forest roads.

:thumb

PS.

Google "The Raiders road" hidden gem (Forest road)

Yip since they wreaked the NW the Borders are good and quiet!

One of my favourite areas ...

The 712 from Crocketford to Balmaclellan, the B7075 north and turn right on to the A702 to Moniave, keep 702 to the A76 and turn left for a short while. Turn right pick up the 702 again for one of the best bits ... turn right B7076, turn left B719 A701 Tweedsmuir.

Make sure you put that little loop in :D

Enjoy :thumb2

:beerjug:

Aye the A702 from St John's via Moniave etc to Abingdon is worth a look. Usually quiet enough.
During the past 3 years for the Dundee Bikers' challenge competition I set up, I have had a number of POI and of course biking roads earmarked in around south Scotland and north England.
Secret is to make sure not a Bank Holiday weekend as then far too busy.

I love getting the ferry over to Scotland and have used many of these roads. Nice to see great recommendations on plenty that I’ve missed....:beerjug:

Move along , move along please, nothing to see here :rob

Lets keep that area a secret shhhhhhh :augie One of the best areas the Solway coast and the Galloway Forest roads.

:thumb

PS.

Google "The Raiders road" hidden gem (Forest road)

I’ve been saying that for years! Folk battered on up to the highlands even before the NC500 turned things up to 11. Lovely part of Scotland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my favourite areas ...

The 712 from Crocketford to Balmaclellan, the B7075 north and turn right on to the A702 to Moniave, keep 702 to the A76 and turn left for a short while. Turn right pick up the 702 again for one of the best bits ... turn right B7076, turn left B719 A701 Tweedsmuir.

Make sure you put that little loop in :D

Enjoy :thumb2

:beerjug:

Love those roads - when are you going to razz them again ?

Nice to hear your coming to Galloway. Follow the coast from Dumfries. Go to the Mull of Galloway then just try any road you fancy. :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom