Moto GP Ceramic Paint protection

Wegwonder

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,
I took the plunge last week and have ordered a 750gs TE 40th aniversary edition with delivery in Oct , I was persuaded in a complex px deal to have ceramic paint protection at £350 , now having doubts , particularly at £350, anyone have any experience of this , any good , any alternatives is it worth £350?
Many thanks .

No direct experience, but £350 sounds a bit rich for a small bike, any bike come to that. I've never really seen the point TBH, unless we are looking at a Lambo or Fezza.

On a new, clean bike it's a simple process with something like Sonax, or similar products. Plenty of vids available on YouTube icon, if you decide to go with DIY. Personally I wouldn't bother.

Had it done on my africa twin. Didn't have the bike long enough to give you a full review but yes it kept shiny, washed off easily and had no corrosion issues in the 8 months I had the bike (furring around the metal parts/edges). They gave me the rest of the bottle to take away. I have applied it to my 1150R..but probably did a bit of a lax job on it..was it worth it? Don't really know, but at least it was done professionally so maybe that's where the cost is

Had it on my Harley......it’s shit, don’t bother!

Ceramic coating can be brilliant, but it requires a professional detail guy and quality product, non of which occur in motorcycle dealers. It’s a complete waste of £350. I was very sceptical and thought ‘I’d give it a go’, should have saved my money and spent it on decent cleaning products.

They only coat the paintwork and wheels, none of the engine is coated.

I currently us Autobrite ceramic magifoam once every 3 months. It’s not ‘recommended’ for bikes apparently, but I’ve had no issues and it’s 1000 times more effective than that shite MotoGP ceramic bollocks.

Had it on my Harley......it’s shit, don’t bother!

Ceramic coating can be brilliant, but it requires a professional detail guy and quality product, non of which occur in motorcycle dealers. It’s a complete waste of £350. I was very sceptical and thought ‘I’d give it a go’, should have saved my money and spent it on decent cleaning products.

Agreed. I’ve had a couple of bikes professionally done, and it’s a complete waste of money.

Use the money for a running in trip on the bike. ;)

You can buy a bottle for about $65 that will do you bike a dozen times over Armor shield

Have a look Yes he's an American You tuber but he's quite enjoyable to watch and this is a D I Y ceramic coating He does his car with a bottle for way less than £350 Someone is making a large profit on that transaction methinks

There was a bloke on here that used to offer that service, but he disappeared after a few people weren't happy with his work IIRC.

It’s one of the biggest cons in the trade. Overpriced, (usually) badly applied by the tea boy and ultimately can you tell it actually has been done ?

I used to be able to buy the full AutoGylm treatment that the trade was selling to punters for hundreds for a mere £50 per kit. The trade allowed their minion 1 hour to apply the treatment...bodywork, glass, upholstery.....so you work out if it was all done as per the instructions.

Snake oil. You can’t tell it’s been done and no way of telling if it worked.
Anyone want to buy a copper bangle?

Just ordered it for the new GSA. I'm paying £199 for it. My understanding is that they do the wheels, engine, bodywork, etc.
3 year guarantee. Plenty of positive reviews outside of this forum.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Just ordered it for the new GSA. I'm paying £199 for it. My understanding is that they do the wheels, engine, bodywork, etc.
3 year guarantee. Plenty of positive reviews outside of this forum.

Good luck - on balance, plenty not so positive too.

Come on; even at £199 it's hugely overpriced. Let's say £15 of product & one hours labour = that would be about £95 retail if they used a skilled motorcycle tech, but they don't. I'm sure the salesperson will be delighted as obviously the dealership gets a nice cut, circa £100 for a few minutes of persuasive BS.

Slightly reminiscent of flogging PPI?

I had this done to my bike but not at the dealer, the guy come round and was here all day applying, i will say that the difference in washing the bike is amazing, i hose the bike off and all bugs etc just come off, hose and micro fibre all done, also has a 10 year guarantee although not sure what it would be like to claim in say 5 years.

i was happy with the job and can say it takes much longer than an hour if done right.

Pete

I've just started offering this service to cyclists and properly coating a bicycle take an hour plus - no way a motorbike could be completely done in the same time frame. Bike also has to be spotlessly clean - anything on paintwork will be there to stay once the ceramic coating is applied. I probably spend longer deep cleaning the bike than I do applying the ceramic coating!

Feedback from the folks whose bicycles I've done has been very positive. Coated surface holds less dirt, and what is there washes off way more easily. One chap brought me his gunmetal grey Giant roadbike which had a matte finish - he said it was impossible to keep looking good as even fingerprints showed up on the frame. He's over the moon now as the bike just needs a simple wipe of a cloth to come up looking top notch. :thumb

I bought a bottle of Gtechniq ceramic coating, applied it to some black recently powder coated car wheels and there’s no build up of brake dust and water beads of the wheels making them effortless to clean

The application only lasts 12 months and for £25 I’m happy.

Good luck - on balance, plenty not so positive too.

Come on; even at £199 it's hugely overpriced. Let's say £15 of product & one hours labour = that would be about £95 retail if they used a skilled motorcycle tech, but they don't. I'm sure the salesperson will be delighted as obviously the dealership gets a nice cut, circa £100 for a few minutes of persuasive BS.

Slightly reminiscent of flogging PPI?
Well I wasn't persuaded... I asked for it!
I've covered 3,000 miles since collecting the bike a couple of weeks ago. I gave it a quick clean yesterday; all the crap came of easily. Gold rims needed a light brushing.
Still looks like new... Apart from the tyres

Hard to say if the coating had helped or not really. I'm certainly happy with it for now.

Still looks like new... Apart from the tyres

Hard to say if the coating had helped or not really. I'm certainly happy with it for now.

It really would be a poor do if a 2 week old bike didn't come up 'like new' though, regardless of some fancy dan coating...... wouldn't it ?

It really would be a poor do if a 2 week old bike didn't come up 'like new' though, regardless of some fancy dan coating...... wouldn't it ?
The key point was,
" I gave it a QUICK clean"!

3,000 miles worth of shite came off quite easily

I used it on my last K16 and have put it on my new K16. My old K16 with 13k on it still looked like new and only took 20 mins to clean the bike. If put on correctly will last a long time and do as advertised. It takes me a couple of hours to treat my bike.

Back
Top Bottom