Silly nonsense

Captain jack

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Years ago I recall we all used to move our mortgages around to benefit from “deals” offered to entice us into this or that building society, ditto utility suppliers. We all know that they work on the basis that some won’t bother and end up paying over the odds, while those putting legwork in save a little. I think the gov recognise the nonsense, waste and put a stop.

So why am I still obliged to call my insurers, waste an hour + on the phone pointing out that I have got a quote £65 cheaper than renewal offer, which they then miraculously nearly match and we are all friends again.

It’s just silly nonsense. Can anyone suggest a better way?

Years ago I recall we all used to move our mortgages around to benefit from “deals” offered to entice us into this or that building society, ditto utility suppliers. We all know that they work on the basis that some won’t bother and end up paying over the odds, while those putting legwork in save a little. I think the gov recognise the nonsense, waste and put a stop.

So why am I still obliged to call my insurers, waste an hour + on the phone pointing out that I have got a quote £65 cheaper than renewal offer, which they then miraculously nearly match and we are all friends again.

The joys of choice and a free market economy. :thumb2

When you pay - insist on them not holding card details / no auto renew - that way if they send you a quote and you don't like - off you go without having to cancel the auto renew.

Take out shares in a phone company. JJH

When you pay - insist on them not holding card details / no auto renew - that way if they send you a quote and you don't like - off you go without having to cancel the auto renew.

Interestingly they asked or rather stated that they would be autorenewing next year, "unless i minded". So i said i did. So they said they wouldnt!

Even when u clearly state not to auto renew they dont always implement your instructions, requiring yet another tedious call to them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We have to ring around for the best mortgage deal,

which means often we have to pay a slightly higher rate of interest

It does seem counter intuitive to take a higher rate of interest, but most super low interest rates come with an arrangement fee

By the time the arrangement fee is added to the mortgage it adds more on than the reduced interest rate takes off.

and paying £1500+ cash just to save a couple of hundred quid over two years, isnt viable

I renewed my car insurance a few months back and said this...Was told they had to hold them by law..( thought it was bollox at the time ? )

I renewed my car insurance a few months back and said this...Was told they had to hold them by law..( thought it was bollox at the time ? )

I hope you got the persons name as I am pretty confident your assessment is spot on. I'd be phoning back and speaking to a manager about said person as I expect thats most likely also illegal.

When will you feckers get it through your thick skulls that motor insurance (like house insurance) is a commodity, flogged in the millions of policies per day, through call centres, staffed by chimps and very often contacted by chimps.

The selling was deregulated and the old fixed price tariffs done away with. Get your quote; if you like it, buy it. If you don’t, get a better quote. It is that simple. It’s like tins of beans. Queue up in Waitrose and you may pay X, queue up in Tesco and you may pay Y. The only difference is that Waitrose will not price match at the till, whilst a chimp in a call centre might.

When will you feckers get it through your thick skulls that motor insurance (like house insurance) is a commodity, flogged in the millions of policies per day, through call centres, staffed by chimps and very often contacted by chimps.

The selling was deregulated and the old fixed price tariffs done away with. Get your quote; if you like it, buy it. If you don’t, get a better quote. It is that simple. It’s like tins of beans. Queue up in Waitrose and you may pay X, queue up in Tesco and you may pay Y. The only difference is that Waitrose will not price match at the till, whilst a chimp in a call centre might.

Most definitely staffed by chimps, even at higher levels in the chain - they've paid me twice for the salvage on my recently written-off RT, once by a rather quaint cheque, and then again 2 days later by bank transfer. How long will it take said chimps to notice I wonder? :nenau

Pete

Better way? Yes. You are NOT "obliged" to call your insurers, spend an hour to point out you have a cheaper quote to get them to match

Don't give them a second chance, go with the quote you got. Whilst punters continue to give them a second chance, insurers will continue to charge higher, as they know they'll get your business anyway.

Back
Top Bottom