Looking for advice - Gore-Tex laminated gloves

Bob Jeffries

It's good to be back ..
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I need to get a new pair of waterproof gloves.

Too many times I've had good gloves that have become useless by the linings pulling out when I take them off.

I'm looking for advice on Gore-Tex laminated gloves so there's no lining to pull out. I prefer short or medium length, thin, uninsulated gloves.

Anyone use Rukka Virium gloves?

I need to get a new pair of waterproof gloves.

Too many times I've had good gloves that have become useless by the linings pulling out when I take them off.

I'm looking for advice on Gore-Tex laminated gloves so there's no lining to pull out. I prefer short or medium length, thin, uninsulated gloves.

Anyone use Rukka Virium gloves?

Yes. And they are very good 3 season gloves. Mine have never leaked.

Downside is they aren't all that warm. But heated grips will solve that problem.

I've had a pair of Virium gloves for nearly 2 years
Definitely waterproof, very breathable, not so warm. Lining does not pull out, great feeling for controls
Brilliant glove
Rukka size their gloves strangely. I'm a size 10 glove, usually an XL, had to get a size 12 and could probably have got away with a 13
Some outlets size them in s,m,l etc, some in numerical sizing
Sportsbike shop have them discounted, motolegends will beat by 10% if all criteria matched

The laminated gloves will (very probably) still have a lining of some sort.

If you find that the lining does pull out, the easiest way to line it back up again, is to inert the clutch or brake lever up each finger, jiggling the glove around. The lining will then line up again, reasonably quickly.

I too have had the problem of the supposedly laminated linking pulling out

This only happens when its wet though and hands get damp and sweaty for various reasons.

Personally I believe that the waterproof and breathable thing is a bit of a con as they can only do one of those things at a time so when they are being waterproof and heated grips are on etc they are not breathing ....

Anyway my solution is some very thin silk inner gloves for when its raining. this makes the gloves much easier to get on an off when hands are damp etc

Oh and yes I have a pair of Rukka Virium and so far they are good

I bought a pair of Virium gloves about a month ago. Discounted in J&S town to £138 a bit of haggling got another £8 off. As someone else said sizing is odd, I ended up in size 13 (xxxl) yet I don’t think I have big hands and had been happily trying on 11/12 in other brandsI could barely get my hands in a size 12 Virium.

I wore them in some non-stop epic rain on a 250 mile day. Pleased to say bone dry and no linings pulled out - as there aren’t any it laminated. Cuffs of the glove are bit on the big side and didn’t easily go under the cuff on my old model Klim Badlands although they do go under. I suppose if they’ll go under a badlands they’ll go under most textile jackets as the design of cuff on that jacket is crap. I have also worn them in the warmer weather we had a week or so ago. Up to about 18-20c they were fine but much more than that and I could feel the clamminess rising and they stopped being nice. Time for vented gloves.

Overall I am very pleased with them and will wear a thin liner glove in them for cooler days. I use some walkers liner gloves from Rohan as the material is slightly thicker than silk liners and far more robust plus has all the outdoorsy qualities of quick drying etc.

I've tried various quality summer goretex gloves inc the rukka summer ones and once my hands were hot and sticky the liner came out . I've since got a pair of Held 2-1 Sambia gloves and these have worked great as i use the ventilated pocket for when its hot/warm and the waterproof pocket for when the showers arrive. Some info on the Held range here https://inspire.getgeared.co.uk/held-air-n-dry-gloves-2-in-1-gloves-range/

On a different price scale, the Richa Atlantic GTX are an awesome glove. I initially turned up my nose at them after a pair of Rukka Apollo’s and various revit gloves, but they are exceptional. Laminated Gortex, d3o armour, super fabric, visor wipe and touchscreen fingers. I highly recommend if your not a slave to a brand name!

The idea that there is no separate lining in a laminated glove is wrong.

The only thing that is laminated is the waterproof layer (Gore-Tex for example) which is bonded to the outer layer. If there is any kind of climate or comfort liner in the glove, that is still either sewn or glued in and consequently can still pull out. The only difference is that it won't pull the Gore-Tex with it when it does pull out.

Think of a laminated jacket. The mesh lining isn't bonded or laminated to the outer.

In other words, laminated gloves offer the same benefits as laminated jackets (they don't wet out) but care is still needed when taking laminated gloves off.

As for choice of laminated gloves, Rukka Virium for me. They are bulletproof and 100% dry. Just be careful when taking them off!

Yes. And they are very good 3 season gloves. Mine have never leaked.

Downside is they aren't all that warm. But heated grips will solve that problem.

Remember heated grips, goretex and rain does not work.
The heat on the outside reverses the damp vapour flow making your hands wet.

tom

I have a pair of BMW Atlantis gloves that have no lining to pull out. They are not entirely uninsulated though and I don't know if still available. Brilliant gloves!

Have a look at Dane but try them on as the sizing is not the same for all. Certain models seem to be different sizes to others, but well made and mostly Gortex.

Have had a pair of Held Air n Dry for years, very good, although a week before the warranty ran out, one of the finger lining came away, they were replaced by Getgeared, no issues. Now using a pair of Rukka Apollo and so far they have been great

Personally I believe that the waterproof and breathable thing is a bit of a con as they can only do one of those things at a time

You're right they don't do both at once - they can't.
For Goretex (or other 'breathable' membranes) to breath, you need three things:
+ve Moisture difference (wetter on the inside)
+ve Temperature difference (warmer on the inside)
Some air flow

When its raining they are just 'waterproof'

You're right they don't do both at once - they can't.
For Goretex (or other 'breathable' membranes) to breath, you need three things:
+ve Moisture difference (wetter on the inside)
+ve Temperature difference (warmer on the inside)
Some air flow

When its raining they are just 'waterproof'
So are you saying goretex works via a pressure differential, aided by temperature?

For my part, I've tried with and without the goretex liners on long trips where I'm gonna hit a variety of weather - when the average temps (summer) means no need for the added warmth of additional layers. My conclusion is, in warm weather, wearing goretex or not, I can't tell the difference. When the rain comes, I stay dry. On the whole, I'm pretty impressed. Coming from the world of waxed cotton all those moons ago (remember Belstaff?! Load of crap!). Not sure I'm with the 'con' part. But I'll go along with it only doing one thing at a time

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

So are you saying goretex works via a pressure differential, aided by temperature? ]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

No, no pressure differential needed.
A difference in humidity and temperature, together with an airflow.

I have a pair of Virium which are great - tend to use them for winter time knocking around at not too higher speed and with heated grips on. For faster wet stuff I have a pair of Rukka Appolo's which are a great glove - have less insulation that the Virium but strangly keep your hands warmer (all these comments are while using glove if required with heated grips on). If I was to have an off >40mph I would deffo perfer to be in the Appolo's, the Virium don't feel like they would be great going down the road at speed. As others have said watch out - I also wear a short Rukks glove in summer and all the gloves named above I take a different size in!

The laminated gloves will (very probably) still have a lining of some sort.

If you find that the lining does pull out, the easiest way to line it back up again, is to inert the clutch or brake lever up each finger, jiggling the glove around. The lining will then line up again, reasonably quickly.

Whatever the Virium has inside, it doesn't come out in either wet or hot weather

Back
Top Bottom