Argument with Honda UK

Jeremy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So a friend in Belfast has an 18 plate ATAS and he’s just going to arbitration with Honda regarding rust on the frame and wheels. The local Honda dealer agreed that Honda should fix both the wheels and frame, but Honda UK refused saying that my friend lived by the sea. By Google Maps, he is four miles from the sea. The bike is well maintained and kept in a dry brick garage.

It was only under threat of legal action that Honda started to move. While they have agreed to fix the frame, they are refusing to replace the wheels. So they agree there is a problem but won’t fix it??!! So they are now moving to arbitration.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Jeremy

So a friend in Belfast has an 18 plate ATAS and he’s just going to arbitration with Honda regarding rust on the frame and wheels. The local Honda dealer agreed that Honda should fix both the wheels and frame, but Honda UK refused saying that my friend lived by the sea. By Google Maps, he is four miles from the sea. The bike is well maintained and kept in a dry brick garage.

It was only under threat of legal action that Honda started to move. While they have agreed to fix the frame, they are refusing to replace the wheels. So they agree there is a problem but won’t fix it??!! So they are now moving to arbitration.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Jeremy

Unfortunately, although he is probably in the right, he will no doubt look back at some point in the future and wonder why he he bothered. In my experience (unless you have deep pockets and an unpragmatic view of right and wrong) it costs you more than it's worth in time, stress and money which is exactly what big corporations rely on when you come up against them. :nenau

Just accept the frame offer if it's for real, get it changed or re-finished, then trade the fekkin thing & move on.

Taking on a major corporate in our expensive, sluggish legal system is no place for us little people. We don't have a lemon law, neither are our consumer laws responsive to issues such as this. I've been there BTW, got what I could fixed under warranty & traded the bike on - the whole exercise cost me under £1000 in the end, after compo, but it was the months of hassle & 3 months lost riding time that are the standout memory.

Just accept the frame offer if it's for real, get it changed or re-finished, then trade the fekkin thing & move on.

Taking on a major corporate in our expensive, sluggish legal system is no place for us little people. We don't have a lemon law, neither are our consumer laws responsive to issues such as this. I've been there BTW, got what I could fixed under warranty & traded the bike on - the whole exercise cost me under £1000 in the end, after compo, but it was the months of hassle & 3 months lost riding time that are the standout memory.

This is sense

A few hundred thousand quid is nothing to Mr Honda or a big corporation where to you or I .......

I took on a multinational many years ago,

Hitting the front page on the local evening rag got a response within 24hrs

They said if you want to go to court, go for it, we'll bring out the big guns and tie you up for years

However if you agree to drop the claim, we will offer you a very generous package to settle

we settled ;)

Get on their social media pages and start ranting. You'll have more success than the courts.

Yep exactly the same problem. Rusty wheels and rusty frame. I’ve launched multiple complaints and been kicked back every time.

Get on their social media pages and start ranting. You'll have more success than the courts.

This is the way to go, as they tend to monitor social media, and put the fire out quick.

Honda UK are by far the worst manufacturers representatives I’ve ever had to deal with. It seems deny deny deny is their mantra.

My friend is a lawyer. Can’t see him taking this lying down.

My friend is a lawyer. Can’t see him taking this lying down.

Seriously, do you really think that will bother Honda a jot. OK, it means he is capable of getting his ducks in a row legally, but it doesn't get him into court or arbitration any sooner, it doesn't encourage Honda to fix his bike, nor does it move the game forward. I can't speak for your buddy, but my take is always trying to set achievable goals in a negotiation - playing hard ball & threatening to resort to the law, however attractive that may sound in the telling, is an admission of failure ultimately. He will need to be very confident of a win, as failure to persuade the court could mean costs awarded against him; what then ........ still no fix for the bike & a hefty bill as well.

Look, I know it's frustrating for him but he needs a good mate to talk him down from his high horse, then follow the route I (#3) & many others have suggested. Focus on moving the game forward & getting on with biking.

Seriously, do you really think that will bother Honda a jot. OK, it means he is capable of getting his ducks in a row legally, but it doesn't get him into court or arbitration any sooner, it doesn't encourage Honda to fix his bike, nor does it move the game forward. I can't speak for your buddy, but my take is always trying to set achievable goals in a negotiation - playing hard ball & threatening to resort to the law, however attractive that may sound in the telling, is an admission of failure ultimately. He will need to be very confident of a win, as failure to persuade the court could mean costs awarded against him; what then ........ still no fix for the bike & a hefty bill as well.

Look, I know it's frustrating for him but he needs a good mate to talk him down from his high horse, then follow the route I (#3) & many others have suggested. Focus on moving the game forward & getting on with biking.

I’d go with that. Maybe the chap could offer to pay half the cost for the new wheels as a gesture of goodwill?

The frame paint looks OK from a distance, but there are a lot of crevices where rust could start and the welds aren't perfect either. Plenty of entry points for water as well, and minimal finish inside the tubes. Get the new frame and spray everywhere inside it with cavity wax. Also, get all the crevices and welds with cavity wax, let it dry and wipe off where visible. Then a wipe down with ACF50. Live with the wheels, or get the fancy ones Arsey has.

Fair points made, the frame is the expensive part of this. The wheels could be replaced for a few hundred quid, the spokes for a lot less. If you trade it after the frame has been done, chances are it won't make a difference unless they get fixated on a new frame if it has one. If it is your main bike I suppose the loss of use and hassle may be the main reason for just taking the offer, but if not it could be a long drawn out process.

Bear in mind that if you continue to use the bike, the legal bods may use that as evidence that you have accepted that it is fit for purpose and of merchantable quality, I have nearly been caught by this one myself.

It seems you do need proper legal advice.

I recall that I had to threaten BMW Cars UK with legal action, and it was made clear to me "unofficially" that it could cost me dear. I reminded them that my legal cover policy can rack up £1 million in fees with only a £50 excess, the legal team from which had agreed to take the case so the ball was already rolling and if they wished to stop it they need to act smartish. They soon recoiled and gave me a new car plus compensation. It was a gamble that they would play ball, as I dod not have another car to use.

I would advise anyone to take up the option of family legal protection as an add on to their home insurance policy, cost around £25-40 per year, but be clear that the legal team must agree to take the case before you call the bluff of the big boys. They will also give free legal advise on most matters to help you decide which way to go and do research on your behalf on legal precedents.

Good luck with it all, like many on here, got the tee shirt.

take it like a man, then bitch about it for the rest of all time....!

I still won't rent a car from Hertz, I'd rather walk since the incident 25 years ago...!

Back
Top Bottom